Hall of Presidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
You go for the reasons the attraction was built.

Perhaps a sign out front just stating that WDW reserves the right to remove disruptive guests would do the trick?

If they are having trouble getting DT to tape the audio, I wonder if there is a taped speech out there that they could just take from? Even if its just a sentence or two. They have to have the inauguration audio. Use the oath from there, perhaps.

Its a tough spot. I know they want to get it opened, and what they decide to do will effect every year moving forward.

I just think we are at a very decisive time in the country and that isn't changing any time soon. Data shows that the average of each party is much further apart ideologically than in the past. That is why i think it might be best to just "pull the band-aid" and use this as an opportunity to change around the show and focus more on the role of president rather than the individual people and have a few of the greats from years ago (Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, even JFK) rather than any recent presidents talk

I think they're looking for cover, so I doubt they will try that hard to make it happen.

I like the idea of a "disruptive guests will be removed" sign.

I like the concept of it but just afraid that will draw even more attention to it and just break the feeling of being inside the Disney bubble even more. Maybe if instead of out front then as part of the intro speak when they ask you to turn off your phones or something or just a sign inside the theater or something

I just think we are at a very decisive time in the country and that isn't changing any time soon. Data shows that the average of each party is much further apart ideologically than in the past. That is why i think it might be best to just "pull the band-aid" and use this as an opportunity to change around the show and focus more on the role of president rather than the individual people and have a few of the greats from years ago (Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, even JFK) rather than any recent presidents talk

If I'm being 100% honest, I would choose this.

However, part of me feels as this will "fuel the fire" of the current political landscape.

WDW maybe needs to be a little more up front in the process and that will help with the transition. Just set a date that the audio is needed by, if its not received, it goes to the format you proposed. In 4 years, same deal with whoever is in the office. Transparency might help with calming any tensions or accusations that will arise if there is no audio from DT. There will always be some controversy, but I think it can be minimized.

However, part of me feels as this will "fuel the fire" of the current political landscape.

WDW maybe needs to be a little more up front in the process and that will help with the transition. Just set a date that the audio is needed by, if its not received, it goes to the format you proposed. In 4 years, same deal with whoever is in the office. Transparency might help with calming any tensions or accusations that will arise if there is no audio from DT. There will always be some controversy, but I think it can be minimized.

I generally agree with @dlavender, although I think the whole recording issue is just an excuse. I'm pretty sure they can use existing speeches or maybe even a voice actor. Washington and Lincoln did not provide recordings! I have no problem if they want to change the exhibit based on the current political landscape. They should just be honest about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I absolutely think they should be up front about it (part of my "pulling the band aid" analogy) ... flat out say that due to the current political environment (and can even mention reports of disruptive behavior in the prior version) they have decided to retool the attraction to be more about the office of the president rather than any individual current and recent presidents

It absolutely will inflame Trump supporters and will be a challenge to deal with - but hopefully it is short term and you can move on, rather than dragging it out

This is at least the third post I've seen in these threads that really adds nothing to the discussion and only seeks to disparage the current president. Yes, I'm pretty sure the animatronic will be booed or worse...

I generally agree with @dlavender, although I think the whole recording issue is just an excuse. I'm pretty sure they can use existing speeches or maybe even a voice actor. Washington and Lincoln did not provide recordings! I have no problem if they want to change the exhibit based on the current political landscape. They should just be honest about it.

The only problem with using a voice actor is that I would think that you need permission to do so. Perhaps they should request it as a final attempt, then no one should really be upset. It would let WDW out of the "controversy". It would allow them to go to the format @TheMaxRebo has suggested with the least resistance.

I absolutely think they should be up front about it (part of my "pulling the band aid" analogy) ... flat out say that due to the current political environment (and can even mention reports of disruptive behavior in the prior version) they have decided to retool the attraction to be more about the office of the president rather than any individual current and recent presidents

It absolutely will inflame Trump supporters and will be a challenge to deal with - but hopefully it is short term and you can move on, rather than dragging it out

I almost feel like it is too late for them to try this now, since we already know it was not their original intention. The cat's out of the bag.

But if they do the above, and set a deadline, then they can announce that they are changing the format. Then next year they can announce it as a permanent change.

ETA: But, they could always do the "due to recent difficulties, we realized that we need to change the format" and then just band aid it like you said.

Last edited:

BOTH parties will be inflamed, Trump can't speak and they are taking away Obama and Clinton.

This really is a no win situation for Disney. They need to try to bee as smooth as possible with this.

I think they're looking for cover, so I doubt they will try that hard to make it happen.

I like the idea of a "disruptive guests will be removed" sign.
Is this to try to dissuade people from booing, or so that you can legitimately remove people from the ride? Shouldn't a CM be able to remove anyone from any ride that is being obtrusively disruptive without the need for a sign?

That being said, I'm all for people that can't handle themselves getting removed, but I feel like that would put an unnecessary burden on the CMs of that show to have to deal with having to pull someone from the middle of an aisle and get them out the door. I have no beef with Trump personally, but it's probably best for everyone's sanity (I worry more for the poor CMs that aren't high enough on the pay grade to deal with political crazies) if the speech went away. That being said, I can imagine booing even just at his name being announced.

Some history would be good for many people that seem to not understand or have any knowledge of our history. The HofP should not be political based on the whims of Iger. Half of the country voted for our current president and half voted against him. Why would that be a reason to eliminate his speaking? He deserves the same respect as all other presidents the people elected.

Ever heard of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"? I wouldn't want to be one of the members of the committee in charge of how to handle this situation. It seems like any course of action is fraught. Continue with a speaking Trump: things may get ugly in there, AND they may have to record a speaking Pence six months from now. Discontinue with the tradition of having the sitting POTUS speak, and it would look like the decision was made because of politics.

From where I sit, the option that would cause the least fallout would be to simply bulldoze the HoP and replace it with an HM-themed restaurant.
Why would anyone boo our current president-he was duly elected by the people and if you disagree with him then it would be inappropriate to boo him. Everyone should respect the office of the president and respect the voters that support a particular candidate.

If reports are correct (I assume they are) that people boo and yell when certain people speak, then Disney has a conflict to resolve.

They definitely are in a tight spot. They don't want to police the shows, and remove people. I think this is the best resolution moving forward. If only their timing was better.

I'm really just glad the booing and comments never happened when we went. I'm not sure that I'd be able to hold my tongue. For that reason alone, I hope they make the change.
It would be inappropriate to make changes because of the immature and boorish behavior of intolerant people

Why would anyone boo our current president-he was duly elected by the people and if you disagree with him then it would be inappropriate to boo him. Everyone should respect the office of the president and respect the voters that support a particular candidate.
People booed the last one. There's no reason to believe it won't happen again. Disney doesn't need that.

I agree with Rileyz. We are going to a theme park to have fun and relax. I can see a scenario where if Disney tries to remove disruptive guests there will be a group that comes just to create publicity. Make this a show that celebrates the unique and amazing creation of the United States.

I can understand booing the actual president, as an expression of one of our most fundamental rights that makes American so much different than much of the world (freedom of speech, specifically against our leaders). However, I have no idea why you'd boo an animatronic of him. He's not there to hear you and the Disney script will be very apolitical and hopefully inspiring.

Regardless, I will still go to HoP every visit no matter what they end up doing, just like I did before the election.

People booed the last one. There's no reason to believe it won't happen again. Disney doesn't need that.
Never heard about any booing of the last president-did you witness this first hand? I have been to HofP the last 4 years and never heard any booing. Hopefully the CM took care of the people booing.

Never heard about any booing of the last president-did you witness this first hand? I have been to HofP the last 4 years and never heard any booing. Hopefully the CM took care of the people booing.
Yes I did. They booed and then kind of laughed. They didn't continually boo so the CM didn't do anything.

You can always count on there being a certain number of troublemakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter