Han Solo Film loses directors

it sucks it happened - but probably better this than the film get made with both sides fighting and compromising and it not being a complete vision

Just saw this too...

So it seemed like a bad idea in the first place...now it seems like a dumpster fire.

They should pull the plug now instead of making something embarrassing.

Just saw this too...

So it seemed like a bad idea in the first place...now it seems like a dumpster fire.

They should pull the plug now instead of making something embarrassing.
It seems like the directors wanted to go one way and Kathleen Kennedy and team didn't like that direction.

They are keeping the same date too so apparently whoever they get to direct now will have to stick with what's already been done.

Another gigantic red flag.

That shows disney is only interested in the tent pole...not what's under the tent.

They might as well hire Michael bay

Given how good rogue one was I'd hate to see this film totally suck and make them shy away from standalone Star Wars films

Given how good rogue one was I'd hate to see this film totally suck and make them shy away from standalone Star Wars films

Even worse...I'd hate for it to suck, them to make $500 mil...and keep making garbage.

I'm as big of a Star Wars fan as anyone...lifelong...but I have to admit this "every year" plan is starting to worry me as it's losing its buzz...

They'll ruin it if the treat it like Xmen...part of the appeal was the mystique around it.

No matter what directors they get in to do the films, ultimate vision will be what Lucasfilm wants and not the directors. That's what happened on Rogue one and resulted on a number of reshoots.

No matter what directors they get in to do the films, ultimate vision will be what Lucasfilm wants and not the directors. That's what happened on Rogue one and resulted on a number of reshoots.

I was just going to ask how this compares to what went on with Rogue One. I will say one thing I noticed a bit different was that in Rogue One, everything I saw said Disney made the changes, here it is the head of Lucasfilm. Is it just semantics (since Disney owns Lucasfilm), or were the reshoots for Rogue One demanded at a different level than this change?

I'm just a casual Star Wars fan and far from a movie buff, but I'm holding out hope this is a good thing. I know pretty little on directors other than the big guys, but these guys seem like they have been mostly involved in comedies, so I wonder if they were putting too large a comedy spin into the filming. I don't know, I just hope they do as well with it as they did with Rogue One.

I wish they wouldn't even make this movie. I haven't liked the idea of them making a Han Solo movie from the beginning. Besides look at the awful photo in the link, it looks like a reboot of "Cheers". Nothing about it says "Star Wars" except for Chewie and even he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

I wish they wouldn't even make this movie. I haven't liked the idea of them making a Han Solo movie from the beginning. Besides look at the awful photo in the link, it looks like a reboot of "Cheers". Nothing about it says "Star Wars" except for Chewie and even he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

...I know...the diehard Star Wars fan has been almost universally opposed to this from the get go. We're ok with the character as was...didn't really need the "filler" to be told. This is basically raiders of the lost ark in space...but had no chance of the same swagger.

I'm surprised Johnny depp isn't doing it...

But there's pushback to the opinion:
"Why you gotta be negative? Disney won't make a bad movie..."

...yeah...this is different than beauty and the beast. Star Wars fans lived through attack of the clones...we haven't forgotten.

I was just going to ask how this compares to what went on with Rogue One. I will say one thing I noticed a bit different was that in Rogue One, everything I saw said Disney made the changes, here it is the head of Lucasfilm. Is it just semantics (since Disney owns Lucasfilm), or were the reshoots for Rogue One demanded at a different level than this change?

I'm sure the Rouge One changes were probably from a combination of Disney/Lucasfilm, but because nobody left Kathleen/Lucas didn't need to come out and make an official statement. And if you remember the re-shoots were said to be "part of the normal movie making process" when they were happening and at the time it was only rumored that they were changing the story up. After the movie came out it was more or less confirmed.

The rumor is that Gareth Edwards (Rouge One) was more open to change his vision to what Disney/Lucasfilm had in mind. Whereas Phil Lord and Chris Miller were not.

I'm sure the Rouge One changes were probably from a combination of Disney/Lucasfilm, but because nobody left Kathleen/Lucas didn't need to come out and make an official statement. And if you remember the re-shoots were said to be "part of the normal movie making process" when they were happening and at the time it was only rumored that they were changing the story up. After the movie came out it was more or less confirmed.

The rumor is that Gareth Edwards (Rouge One) was more open to change his vision to what Disney/Lucasfilm had in mind. Whereas Phil Lord and Chris Miller were not.

Remember that the Kasdan's wrote the story as well...it was the "price" disney had to pay for him "saving" episode 7

...episode 7 was about as bland of a take on Star Wars as you can get...so why do we think this standalone is gonna be anything but "meh"?

Only three weeks left of shooting...probably $100 million+ already spent. No way Disney is going to scrap this.

Can only hope we'll have a Superman II situation where Donner shot the majority of the film, then was fired and Lester finished. That one came out pretty darn good. Maybe Disney will get lucky and have the same thing happened here.

Only three weeks left of shooting...probably $100 million+ already spent. No way Disney is going to scrap this.

Can only hope we'll have a Superman II situation on our hands where Donner shot the majority of the film, then was fired and Lester finished. That one came out pretty darn good. Maybe Disney will get lucky and have the same thing happened here.

Superman 2 had Zod...and donner did what in retrospect was a fantastic job making those movies...they created the modern superhero film genre...and Reeve wasn't bad either...

...we have none of that going here. A kinda forced story on a competlely iconic character that it seems nobody really really WANTS to see...

This was "iffy" from the start

I hope it's good because I'm a Star Wars fan. But like most Star Wars fan I question the necessity. Given the size of the universe, and the obvious expansion of the Universe Rogue 1 represented, why would you try and do the backstory on one of the most beloved characters? It's a gap that is so difficult to fill and even harder to satisfy people. Still... fingers crossed. I had to suffer through the prequels, first time since they hit theaters, with my kids over Christmas. They were every bit as awful as I remembered. Just really hoping we don't touch on that low point of story and crappy acting.

I hope it's good because I'm a Star Wars fan. But like most Star Wars fan I question the necessity. Given the size of the universe, and the obvious expansion of the Universe Rogue 1 represented, why would you try and do the backstory on one of the most beloved characters? It's a gap that is so difficult to fill and even harder to satisfy people. Still... fingers crossed. I had to suffer through the prequels, first time since they hit theaters, with my kids over Christmas. They were every bit as awful as I remembered. Just really hoping we don't touch on that low point of story and crappy acting.

...I actually think they look worse since rogue one...even a bit of force awakens.

How hard is it to use Star Wars characters and visuals and create moments where the popcorn fan can jump up and pump your fist to?

Not at all. I don't think Garett Edwards is a particularly good director and he managed to do it. Abrams is a Hollywood accountant and got some of that too...

This isn't that tough...Lucas failed Bigtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!