Han Solo Film loses directors

Wow. Huh. I never pictured him as a candidate for this flick. Maybe I'm just out of the loop here.
Yes, I agree. Seems like a strange choice to me. He directed a Sci-Fi film years ago, The Cocoon. What do they do now, throw out the 75% of the movie that has already been filmed and start again?

I sense a great disturbance in the force.

They'll probably finish the 3 weeks of planned filming and then Howard's influence will come in the reshoots.

Howard does a masterful job of building suspense and delivering drama. No idea what to expect here.

I'm thinking the same thing. Its like he is so different from Lord/Miller that I'm really believe they're gonna have to go back and re-shoot the majority of the film. That and/or bring in some of the best editors in the business to help it flow because its got the potential to be one big mess.

I love that they hired Richie Cunningham for the movie. I don't know about Ralph Malph and Potsie, but The Fonz and I think he'll do a great job. Ayyy.

I think that this is a great sign. We have GoTG for slapstick comedy in space - we don't need a director duo trying to turn Han Solo into someone that he is not. His sense of humor was dry and subtle. The directors being fired don't do subtle. I was surprised when they were hired in the first place.

First off I agree with you. Han Solo's sense of humor is dry and should be portrayed that way. How do we know that is not how they intended to shoot the movie? When I view the Solo character he always has a one liner handy and is getting caught in a sticky situation (most of the time humorous). I think this movie should definitely be an Action-Comedy (tilted towards the action).

I am obviously in the minority here, but I was looking forward to Lord and Miller directing this movie. I think a lot of the characters they create DO have dry humor POVs. I will be sad if Ron Howard limits Donald Glover or leaves the comedy on the cutting room floor.

First off I agree with you. Han Solo's sense of humor is dry and should be portrayed that way. How do we know that is not how they intended to shoot the movie? When I view the Solo character he always has a one liner handy and is getting caught in a sticky situation (most of the time humorous). I think this movie should definitely be an Action-Comedy (tilted towards the action).

I am obviously in the minority here, but I was looking forward to Lord and Miller directing this movie. I think a lot of the characters they create DO have dry humor POVs. I will be sad if Ron Howard limits Donald Glover or leaves the comedy on the cutting room floor.
Well, Howard has a ton of experience with comedy in his films, just not they type that you see with Lord/Miller. The die has been cast. Let's just see what happens.

Latest is that Lord and Miller were putting too much comedy into the film and Lucasfilm didn't like it

So things keep getting more interesting to me. Apparently Alden Ehrenreich first voiced concerns, which the producers then took up the chain.

"Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller's screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about –- even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey's performance in 'Ace Ventura' at times. Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage."

https://www.moviefone.com/2017/06/23/alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-movie-director-shakeup/

I've been happy with most everything "Star Wars" that Disney has given us thus far: novels, comics, television and two movies. Just like their Marvel films, we have no reason to think that most of Star Wars movies will be anything but entertaining. Let's give 'em a chance. Back away from the ledge, folks.

I've been happy with most everything "Star Wars" that Disney has given us thus far: novels, comics, television and two movies. Just like their Marvel films, we have no reason to think that most of Star Wars movies will be anything but entertaining. Let's give 'em a chance. Back away from the ledge, folks.

And the best meet and greet at WDW, also Star Wars Fireworks show, the Launch Bay and 2 excellent stage shows at DHS.

Incredible improvements with much more being built as we speak.

Now they rebound with Howard, amazing.

At least with Ron Howard we know the tag line for the movie.

"We are go for Solo."

I trust Kasdan to write a good script, but I'm not interested in backstory movies in principal. I would rather see new ideas, but it seems everything has to be familiar these days.

My concern is that we see Han at the beginning of Episode IV, a rough, terse cowboy/smuggler. And we see him evolve into a leader with compassion by Jedi. So you can't show those traits in this movie, because he hasn't developed them yet. So how will his character develop if he can only be the person he is in the cantina by the end of the movie? It will be interesting to see I guess.

Ron Howard was in George Luca's "American Grafitti" with Harrison Ford who played Han Solo. Now he's directing a "Han Solo" movie, which is based on a character by George Lucas.

GifBillNye122415MindBlown.gif

Last edited:
Ron Howard was a good choice. This is gutsy on his part because he'll probably be blamed if this movie is a stinker.

I disagree. I think its the complete opposite. If it turns out crappy, it will be because most of the film was in the can and he couldnt save it. If it turns out great, he rescued a sure disaster.

I didnt even know Lord and Miller were directing until they got fired. Terrible choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter