Harmony August 2019

cyclenut

DIS Veteran
Wife and I just booked Harmony Eastern out of Port Canaveral for late August of this year. We've sailed Royal before, but it's been awhile and we've never been on these really big ships.

A couple of questions:

- We are on Deck 9, Aft Oceanview balcony. It's quite a far back, so we don't think we'll get a lot of noise, but we also think we'll be a long way from anything. Thoughts on that location?

- Pretty unfamiliar with booking reservations to shows. From my memory, it's not like they ever collected tickets or reserved a spot (except maybe the ice show). How critical is doing this? We usually like to just "go with the flow".

- We love comedy shows, but not when they are dropping the F-bomb every third word. Carnival cruises seem to be worse for this, but any experience from anyone regarding the comedy shows? We never have to worry on a Disney ship.

- Any recommendations on specialty restaurants would be appreciated. Food is very subjective, but if you've had an exquisite experience in one of them that we should not miss, would love to hear about it.

- We're looking forward to Perfect Day at Coco Cay and have already booked a beach Cabana. Since some areas are still under construction, we're a little unsure of what to expect. I've read about the Beach Club. Does booking a cabana give access to the beach club?

- We're booking the Deluxe drink package. On Carnival, they cut you off at some point. Is there an upper limit on Royal or is it really unlimited?

Thanks all.

I could be wrong but since we're going to CocoCay in October, I'm reading everything about it ... and I believe they said the Beach Club will only be done in November 2019.

Will you do a trip report? I'd be interested in reading it.

For booking show reservations the reservations are all linked to your seapass card, no physical tickets are issued for any shows, the reservation only gets you into the show and not specific seats, all reservations are realeased 10 minutes before showtime and it's open to everyone. i can only speak for having been on Oasis but i'd book in the aqua theatre show if you want to see that and be in your seats half an hour prior to show start, other shows particually the later showing you can pretty much always just roll up 10 minutes before showtime and find a seat, it will probably just be at the side of the theatre rather than the middle, but nothing wrong with that.

As far as Comedy shows it really depends on what comedians are on board, some of them do swear quiet a bit, others not so much, so it's more just luck of the draw on that. If you do want to see the adult comedy show that is one to make sure you book online before, it will sell out. On Oasis they would have an all ages comedy show on the last night of the cruise, no reservations required and obiously no swearing! Don't know if Harmony has the same though.

Wife and I just booked Harmony Eastern out of Port Canaveral for late August of this year. We've sailed Royal before, but it's been awhile and we've never been on these really big ships.

A couple of questions:

- We are on Deck 9, Aft Oceanview balcony. It's quite a far back, so we don't think we'll get a lot of noise, but we also think we'll be a long way from anything. Thoughts on that location?
If you’re really far back, there is the possibility that you will hear - but not see - the aqua shows and evening films shown at the aqua theatre.

- Pretty unfamiliar with booking reservations to shows. From my memory, it's not like they ever collected tickets or reserved a spot (except maybe the ice show). How critical is doing this? We usually like to just "go with the flow".
If you like to “go with the flow”, I’d assume that you don’t really care where you end up sitting. So with that in mind, I’d recommend booking for the following:
- The Fine Line (Aqua show)
- 1887 (Ice show)
- Grease
- Columbus: The Musical (jukebox musical)
- Comedy

Basically everything but the headliner, if you’re keeping track. If you decide not to reserve shows I’d recommend trying to get seats in the balcony (Deck 5).

Aqua, comedy and ice shows are usually a capacity crowd, so those are your “must book” items.

There isn’t a ticket system per se. Instead all the information is accessed via your room key - they use RFID on Harmony, so it’s tap and go.

- We love comedy shows, but not when they are dropping the F-bomb every third word. Carnival cruises seem to be worse for this, but any experience from anyone regarding the comedy shows? We never have to worry on a Disney ship.
YMMV. Most comedians are accustomed to working late night and for a crowd that accepts that there will be offensive language and at times some off-putting material. So they’re not changing things up simply because they’re on a boat. I’d recommend emailing guest services ahead of time to see who the comedians are and google some of their performances to see what’s in store for you.

There is a “family friendly” comedy show towards the end of the cruise, but the quality seems to depend on how well the comedians can adapt to a PG routine.

- Any recommendations on specialty restaurants would be appreciated. Food is very subjective, but if you've had an exquisite experience in one of them that we should not miss, would love to hear about it.
I’ve had Jamies here in Toronto. I’d say that the pasta is really good, pizza so-so.

Chops is also quite good. Filet is the appropriate melt-in-your-mouth level. But if you’ve been to a high-end steakhouse like a Ruth’s Chris or Mortons, the meat quality is below that. Here in Canada I’d compare it to The Keg or Le Biftheque.

- We're booking the Deluxe drink package. On Carnival, they cut you off at some point. Is there an upper limit on Royal or is it really unlimited?

Thanks all.
I’d assume that they’ll cut you off if you look like you’ve had enough. But apart from that, the only limitation is the $13-15 max value for a drink.

Forgot to add that the deck 7 climbing wall balconies *might* be open for the aqua shows so if you don’t book that might be a good location to stand and watch.

Super helpful information. Thanks very much. We will start making show reservations soon. Bought the drink package today when the price dropped to $49 per person per day. That's only four drinks to break even (well actually five after tax and gratuity).

Super helpful information. Thanks very much. We will start making show reservations soon. Bought the drink package today when the price dropped to $49 per person per day. That's only four drinks to break even (well actually five after tax and gratuity).

Yes 4-5 alcohol drinks, but deluxe drink packages also include soda, bottled water and specialty coffees. IMO its totally worth it.

We loved the Fine Line aqua show. A tip is to book it for early in your cruise since it can be cancelled in high wind/bad weather. They will try to reschedule cancelled shows if time allows.

We did the drink package and agree it was totally worth it. It’s not just alcoholic beverages, but specialty coffee and other beverages. We really enjoyed getting lattes at the cafe promenade every morning.

We only did Jamie’s and Wonderland. Jamie’s was ok but Wonderland is an experience I’d recommend trying once. We found the main dining room breakfast and lunch to be much better than dinner. On sea days the main dining room has a fabulous buffet lunch with amazing dessert spread that is much less crowded than Windjammer. The main dining room also has a buffet breakfast every morning that we also found to be much less crowded than Windjammer.

We only did Jamie’s and Wonderland. Jamie’s was ok but Wonderland is an experience I’d recommend trying once. We found the main dining room breakfast and lunch to be much better than dinner. On sea days the main dining room has a fabulous buffet lunch with amazing dessert spread that is much less crowded than Windjammer. The main dining room also has a buffet breakfast every morning that we also found to be much less crowded than Windjammer.
Yeah lunch in the MDR is much less crazy. I like that you can order an entree from the menu (which I think is on a 3 or 4 day rotation) or just go to the buffet. Choices at the buffet are more limited at the WJ, but they often feature a "made to order" station (I've seen steaks and stir frys there) and the "tutti" salad which is basically a DIY salad that a chef puts together for you (also available at Park Cafe).

For breakfast on Oasis class ships, I always recommend trying Johnny Rockets at least once. The food is pretty standard, the view (and relative quiet) is very nice, if you can ignore the purple Abyss tubes.

Yeah lunch in the MDR is much less crazy. I like that you can order an entree from the menu (which I think is on a 3 or 4 day rotation) or just go to the buffet. Choices at the buffet are more limited at the WJ, but they often feature a "made to order" station (I've seen steaks and stir frys there) and the "tutti" salad which is basically a DIY salad that a chef puts together for you (also available at Park Cafe).

For breakfast on Oasis class ships, I always recommend trying Johnny Rockets at least once. The food is pretty standard, the view (and relative quiet) is very nice, if you can ignore the purple Abyss tubes.
We used to have a Johnny Rockets near where we lived, until we moved. We'll have to go at least once. I didn't think about the breakfast option. I assume there is still the standard cover charge for breakfast.

We used to have a Johnny Rockets near where we lived, until we moved. We'll have to go at least once. I didn't think about the breakfast option. I assume there is still the standard cover charge for breakfast.
Actually, breakfast at JRs is free on Oasis class ships.

When are you are you able to book entertainment?
Lately they have been loading it on the cruise planner at about 90 days out, from what I have read on Cruise Critic. I don't see any for my July 4th cruise yet. On my previous cruises they were open much further out. I just log in once a day and check.
Denise

A couple of questions:

- We're looking forward to Perfect Day at Coco Cay and have already booked a beach Cabana. Since some areas are still under construction, we're a little unsure of what to expect. I've read about the Beach Club. Does booking a cabana give access to the beach club?

Thanks all.

We just debarked from the Symphony of the Seas, in a far aft stateroom on Deck 10, with the Deluxe drink package.

We did not have noise issues in our room. We could hear the Aqua Theater shows on the balcony, but when the balcony door was closed we couldn't hear any outside noise at all. Yes, it was far, but it was fine. It helped work off all that extra food/beverages. ;)

You can still show up for a show without a reservation, but you will have to wait in line and you may not get in. They will scan your Sea Pass and if you don't have a reservation you are sent to the standby line. Then they let in a few people at a time about 5-10 minutes before the show if there is space. There is no harm in booking them and then deciding not to go. You aren't penalized for being a no show. But the shows only run a few times per sailing, and some are cancelled if the weather isn't cooperating (Aqua show and/or ice show gets cancelled if the ship is rocking too much). So if you want to see the show, you should reserve it.

YMMV with comedians. The two on our sailing did curse, but it is an 18+ show so that is expected. They do have a "family friendly" comedy show on the last night for all ages, so perhaps that would be the one you want to see. No reservations required for that show, either.

We ate in the Main Dining Room, but had lunch at Chops. The service took FOREVER but the food was excellent.

Beach Club is scheduled to open in December, so you won't have access to that. I would assume that anything that is included would be listed in Cruise Planner.

I've never been cut off by Royal, but I also did not get falling down drunk or anything. Plenty of other people did, though. I have no idea if they were cut off or not as I wasn't really interested in that crowd.

Highly recommend Johnny Rockets for breakfast! Made to order food, and the potatoes are really good (basically they are fries).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter