Harry Potter, a bit of MNSSHP, Shades of Green - Fall 2017 Pre-Trip AND TRIP Report!

That's a great idea. I've never used a Uber, but my sister does!

The day we travel with 5, however, I suspect my brother in law will drive us there and back, as he's one of the 5. The other two days, we'll have only 3 people - and I assume it will cost a heck of a lot more than $30 to get from Shades of Green at WDW to Universal - and back in a Uber. Am I right?

Once I couldn't find the SOG bus at Animal Kingdom and was so flipping tired that I gladly paid for a taxi, as I could see the cab stand but not my bus stop. (Note to self: TAKE A PHOTO OF YOUR BUS STOP WHEN DROPPED OFF!) It was $35 with tip just to get from AK to SOG - both on WDW property. And worth every penny, that day.

Uber is usually MUCH MUCH less expensive than a taxi. Also, usually when you first sign up for Uber you get a credit for your first trip. When cost difference is minimal I prefer the convenience of Uber on MY schedule vs shuttles on their schedule :)

You are SO tempting me! I REALLY REALLY don't want to stay from 8 AM to 6:30 PM! Even if we shuttled in the morning, maybe we'll take a Uber back earlier. THANKS for the great tip, Hillsboro!

Someone tell me I need to STOP buying bits and bobs for my fellow travelers this fall. I don't have the will to do so, when I see something as cute as these Tsum Tsum lipsmackers! They were $4.99, but I got these on clearance for $2.19 at Walgreens, and couldn't resist! Here's Dumbo, Ariel and Tink!

disney lipgloss.jpg

My older sister, who is the hostess of our trip, as she and her retired Colonel husband make it possible for us to stay at the fabulous Shades of Green, is having her birthday while we're in Florida. This sister had a terrible accident a year ago and has worked really hard in rehab, and we're so excited she's well enough to come! She's a really special person, always.

I mentioned how all 17 of us are dressing as original 1950's Mouseketeers for the first party, like this:

Annette.jpg

I made her shirt as "Annette" because Annette is the coolest Mouseketeer! My sister is a doll lady who collects and restores fancy dolls, specializing in Shirley Temples. I found this little vintage dolly at a garage sale and then I made this little costume for her. (I had to make the mouse ears 4 times before I got them even halfway right.)

Anyway, this will be her birthday gift at the little surprise dinner we're having for her towards the end of the week:

mouseketeer doll.jpg

That's a great idea. I've never used a Uber, but my sister does!

The day we travel with 5, however, I suspect my brother in law will drive us there and back, as he's one of the 5. The other two days, we'll have only 3 people - and I assume it will cost a heck of a lot more than $30 to get from Shades of Green at WDW to Universal - and back in a Uber. Am I right?

Once I couldn't find the SOG bus at Animal Kingdom and was so flipping tired that I gladly paid for a taxi, as I could see the cab stand but not my bus stop. (Note to self: TAKE A PHOTO OF YOUR BUS STOP WHEN DROPPED OFF!) It was $35 with tip just to get from AK to SOG - both on WDW property. And worth every penny, that day.

Also note there are Disney Bloggers offering a discount on your first Uber ride! You could get discounts if two people set up new accounts!

Last edited:

Someone tell me I need to STOP buying bits and bobs for my fellow travelers this fall. I don't have the will to do so, when I see something as cute as these Tsum Tsum lipsmackers! They were $4.99, but I got these on clearance for $2.19 at Walgreens, and couldn't resist! Here's Dumbo, Ariel and Tink!

View attachment 256274

These are so cute! I didn't know they made them! So great, now I'm in hunt mode!

I think it's awesome that Disney recognizes the military, and offers SOG. Organizing a trip for 17 people is no small task. I struggle trying to please my small family unit. Kudos to your family for dedication!

Actually, SOG isn't owned or operated by Disney - the DOD purchased the resort FROM Disney - SOG guests do not get magical express, the dining plan, they must do FP+ at 30 days each day, and it costs $7.00 per day to park, plus if you drive to a park, you still pay the $20 per day to pay

Yes, Shades of Green is owned by the Department of Defense. Since you've listed its supposed drawbacks, here are some of its benefits: you can use all of the Disney transportation (the Poly is a short walk away, then onto the Monorail or ferries) as well as using Shades of Green's own bus system. They'll also take you to Universal for a $10 round trip fee. A $100 per night room is massive, about the size of Disney's most deluxe rooms. There's a tax free gift shop onsite with inexpensive drinks (including alcohol), snacks and gifts. They have two restaurants, an ice cream shop, and a coffee shop, all less expensive than similar resorts on property. There are huge lobby areas and a large deck for impromptu get-togethers. There are two convenient pools, an arcade, and a poolside grill with cheap and delicious burgers. The grounds are gorgeous and oversee the Shades of Green golf course. All rooms have balconies, and we've always looked over a lovely view with tons of wildlife.

The value of Magical Express or the chance to use the dining plans on offer is arguable, and we don't drive or park while there. (The parking issue and the Magical Express issue seem polar opposites from each other in any case: is anyone both coming from the airport and requiring transfers, and also using parking at the resort or parks?) It's no big deal to make FP 30 days out, either - last trip we just did Disney and I had no problem getting every FP I wanted for 15 people for a week's trip at 30 days prior. This time we're doing Universal (and I'm THRILLED to not be obsessing over which ride I'm going to be on in 30 or 60 days!) and two MNSSHPs, with some controversy over whether FP can be used for them, in any case.

Shades is a lovely, restful resort at bargain prices right in the heart of WDW. I don't see the need to knock the benefit for active and retired military by quibbling about small things. There are many on these boards who might not be familiar with the resort who might be interested (or not!) by what we post.

Here's a typical balcony view.

Shades of Green.jpg

Pretty seasonal landscaping at the hotel:

Twins.jpg

(Cute setting for the identical twins!)

And, let's not forget a giant pool with plenty of loungers and no crowd!

sog pool.jpg

If I wanted to dine could I if I'm not staying there? Do they check to see your ID cards when shopping?

Actually, SOG isn't owned or operated by Disney - the DOD purchased the resort FROM Disney - SOG guests do not get magical express, the dining plan, they must do FP+ at 30 days each day, and it costs $7.00 per day to park, plus if you drive to a park, you still pay the $20 per day to pay

I would stay there in a heart beat if we qualified!!!

I think you do have to show a current or retired military ID to access the property (other than the golf course, which I think is open to the public). That would include the restaurants and the PX.

One qualifying military member can reserve 6 rooms, each which hold 5 people comfortably. A spouse traveling without their military partner may reserve 3 rooms for 5 people. So find a friend! :love1:

I think you do have to show a current or retired military ID to access the property (other than the golf course, which I think is open to the public). That would include the restaurants and the PX.

One qualifying military member can reserve 6 rooms, each which hold 5 people comfortably. A spouse traveling without their military partner may reserve 3 rooms for 5 people. So find a friend! :love1:

Hi Friend! :flower3:

My dad served in the US Marine Corps for over 20 years, retired as a Master Sargent but he's gone now and my mom is in very poor health. My husband served 4 years Air Force and 4 years ROTC but we don't qualify. :confused3

It sounds really lovely though especially the pool - no crowds - gotta love that!

Hi Friend! :flower3:

I'd love to host you, Fox! Unfortunately, I'm one of the ones there just on sufferance!

I also forgot to say that SOG has free WiFi, a fitness center, a kids play area, and a nifty spa with kids' packages (manicures or princess makeovers) so inexpensive it seems impossible they are real.

Of those four things, guess which one I use? The Weeee Feeee!

I also forgot to say that SOG has free WiFi, a fitness center, a kids play area, and a nifty spa with kids' packages (manicures or princess makeovers) so inexpensive it seems impossible they are real.

Of those four things, guess which one I use? The Weeee Feeee!

You're killing me!!! You just had to add the amenities didn't you! :badpc:
Ha! Making friends is easy! :hug: No worries! :thumbsup2

You're killing me!!! You just had to add the amenities didn't you! :badpc:

Ack! Sorry!

It was still sticking in my craw that someone upthread felt the need to chime in on another gal's post from May 15th, basically on the theme that SOG is somehow not a great resort. I had forgotten those four things when I was raving over Shades of Green earlier!

Honestly, you could shoot a cannon poolside at either of SOG's pools at any time of day or night and still not hit a resort guest. The pools are always very quiet!

Our trip is less than 2 months away and excitement is at an all time high! I had heard about a Harry Potter 'game' to play at the parks - ie You look for people dressed as members of your Hogwarts House, and try to get them to acknowledge you. If you get a wave or a fist bump or whatever, you get a point. (If they ignore you, you somehow lose a point, but that seems like too much keeping track of points.) Since my sister, niece and I have self selected ourselves into houses (Gryffindor, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw) and are wearing things that evoke those houses, we'd be all set for that.

Then someone else posted something about 'house business cards' which gave me an idea to make these Hogwarts cards with our house logos and colors to give out. So I made a version for each of us on heavy stock cardboard and cut them out with a deckle edging. (In the photo the cards haven't been cut fancily yet.) We each will have 27 cards and over 3 days, the one who finds the most members of their 'house' will win! (Some kind of prize, I've got tons of HP stuff around.)

My sister's says: "You Are Gryffindorable! Have A Great Day!", my niece's says: "You Are Slytherincredible! Have A Mischievous Day!" and mine say: "You Are Ravenclawsome! Have A Magical Day!"

(I do want to note that I did not make up those incredibly cute tags, but read them somewhere.)

20170805_110531.jpg

Not too much happening on the trip planning front, although I'm so packed that I could leave tomorrow, if necessary. Our FP date is fast approaching and I'm a bit worried about trying to coordinate 17 people getting FP to meet Mickey as soon as we arrive in our Mouseketeer costumes! The last time a crowd of us went, I was the FP point person for everyone, and coordinated all of them. This time, they're on their own, and I hope it works out!

Yesterday we had a family birthday party for 91 year old Mom, 13 year old granddaughter, and 7 and 3 year old great granddaughters. Here's DGGD, in bliss with a Moana costume and wig, and a trusty new pink steed:

Moana birthday.jpeg

Baby brother is quite interested, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!