Harry Potter and Spring Break Crowds

Dawn Peterson

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are spending one day at Universal just to see Harry Potter. My daughter turns 11. We will have unlimited express passes and early hour because of hotel. The crowd calendar says 10/10. We don’t need to do Hagrid motorbike but we do need to cast spells and hit shops. Can we get it all done or do I need to try to get down a day earlier for a 7/10? Will we be able to get into shops if we go there first? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Many do the Potter section during the one hour of early entry
Do the shops first
Use your wand early as crowds grow later during the day
You can catch the live entertainment Potter shows later in the day

it does get busy there in the second portion of the hour but still doable

Only 3 rides are open during EE

If you plan to take HE to the other park at 9:00, it would be quicker to walk to the other park

Crowds thin out during later in the morning and you can return to the first park later in that morning

If you already know for the fact you're doing the interactive wand experience (not just thinking about it) you'll need to do it during EE and I suggest doing that first thing and prior to shopping. Once you do all the spells, or feel it's about to get a little crowded you can move onto shopping and from there do whatever you wish, as you can always pick up on spell casting later in the evening.

If you already know for the fact you're doing the interactive wand experience (not just thinking about it) you'll need to do it during EE and I suggest doing that first thing and prior to shopping. Once you do all the spells, or feel it's about to get a little crowded you can move onto shopping and from there do whatever you wish, as you can always pick up on spell casting later in the evening.

We definitely want wands and the spells. Thank you!

I agree with @macraven and @Disxuni. Later in the day when the Potter sections are jam packed, you will be able to use Express Pass on the rides. But it won't help you at all with the spells and shops. To properly cast spells, you need a little room. In the afternoon, kids will be pushing and shoving and their exhausted parents won't care. It gets to be frustrating when the streets of Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are crowded, so hit those spells during Early Admission!

The question is when to buy your wand. If you want to get right to spell-casting, you can buy them online before you go. However, if you want the full experience you should go to Olivander's and see the show during EPA. (The odds of your daughter being chosen for the show may be a little higher.) The show will cut into your spell-casting time but I think most fans would want the full wand-buying experience including the show.

If you do take HE from park to park, watch for the station to open. They will tell you that the station opens at a set time and not a moment earlier. But I have seen them low key start admitting people early. If you are observant, you can beat the rush to the train. The one time we did this, we got on the first train of the day which was pretty awesome.

If you do take HE from park to park, watch for the station to open. They will tell you that the station opens at a set time and not a moment earlier. But I have seen them low key start admitting people early. If you are observant, you can beat the rush to the train. The one time we did this, we got on the first train of the day which was pretty awesome.

They'll let people line up outside prior to 9 (as they cannot stop people from waiting outside), but essentially will not start letting into the actual building at most a couple of minutes prior to 9am. As the train is intended to leave at 9am (if there are no delays). If an attraction doesn't run until 9am then there is no reason for people being in the queue. If they did that for HE they might as well do it for all the other attractions. I think that they prevent people from waiting in the queue also to prevent confusion, or misconception. You can tell plenty of people that it won't be taking off til 9am, but once they're inside they might still get impatient, forget, or still expect to do so, but the message will be clear if they cannot literally enter the building. Some people I think would just believe if they get inside they'll get on the ride early regardless even if they stated it wouldn't open til 9am. Especially considering how many people I've watched just go on and on and on with the TM out front needing to explain their case as to why it isn't running until 9am.

The last time I was there this Sunday, there was already quite a few people lined up outside and it was only 8:30am. Prior to that, I had waited outside for the "first" train a couple of weeks prior. I think I had a couple of dozen people in front of me, so still enough to be on the first train, but by the time everyone flooded into the building and went there separate ways into scanning tickets I didn't get onto the first train, but however did get onto the second one which is still good.

Also, while I know the OP said they're not interested in rope dropping for Hagrid's, but I want to let others know this isn't the best route for rope drop for Hagrid's. As people at the IoA gate get to line up 15-20 minutes prior to official opening at Hagrid's and not only the train leaves at 9 (if not delayed), but it's also a 5 minute ride. However, it is a good way to get over there if you plan to skip Hagrid's and move onto the other things in Hogsmeade in general.

I do want to say that in general an official opening time is always a few minutes early. It's the same for both theme parks. Even when they have people who are holding off people to enter the rest of the park (as EE only allows certain attractions) they usually will let people through a few minutes prior to the official opening time, but only by a few.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter