Harvey Weinstein

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by JaxDad, Oct 10, 2017.

1. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

Not young or lucky. I've been harassed, I've been assaulted. I know the difference between that and get whistled at.

2. AnnaFloridaLover

AnnaFloridaLover DIS Veteran

Living down the road, next door or even in the same house does not make you any more privy to the allegations than anyone else. I believe Dylan and I believe the scathing report from the judge in the custody case.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

Sorry I thought that was clear! Oh well..

5. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I said it was normal. I never said it was ok. Boys have to learn polite respectful behavior. Thers"s also group mentality. One boy does and they all start acting like morons. It doesn't mean there all going to grow up to be rapists.

6. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl Mouseketeer

You are right and of course that would include the children who slept in the bedrooms down the hall some of who now think they know what happened in other bedrooms of the house in CT;).
    The judge obviously had issues with the relationship between Soon Yi and her eventual husband, W. Allen, and it showed in some of the the things he said in his judgement. Doesn't change that Ms. Farrow's allegations didn't prevail even though she named another adopted child after him. My reading of the judge's decision is he felt all the adults in this case were childish. Very "shuddery" moment when you think hard on it.

7. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl Mouseketeer

New Yorker magazine.
    New York magazine.
    New York Times.

Some might think "NYM" meant either of the 2 magazines when at least to the best of my knowledge it only means the New York magazine.

That's the clarification I was trying to make.

8. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

It's cool. Just thought people would read the article I linked. It named them in full there. I was at work at the time and trying to be brief.

9. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl Mouseketeer

No problemo!
    I read both of the links but just fell into the been here, got the t- shirt thunk :D.

10. Cogswel_Cogs

Cogswel_Cogs DIS Veteran

completely off topic
    They are making an Artemis Fowl movie, col read some of tat serties, liked them.

11. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

Haha! I read the first one or two, and did not like them. They do have a pretty steady fan base though so it may not be an entirely bad move on their part. Still surprising- they aren't hugely popular these days. (Speaking from a library viewpoint)

12. Mermaid02

Mermaid02 DIS Veteran

Probably sharing a chateau with Roman Polanski (who was given a STANDING OVATION when he won an Oscar in 2003) I doubt Weinstein ever steps foot back in this country.

13. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

To be fair, I do remember several prominent stars who refused to stand (many with arms folded in disgust) and even a few boos.

But, you're right that many did in fact stand & cheer. Way too many.

wenrob, marcyleecorgan and amberpi like this.
  14. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Another one (Polanski) who's work is brilliant and in real life is a total piece of poop. I read on FB (so take that for what its worth) that he's been thanked in 30 Oscar acceptance speeches. Ugh...

I do think sex addiction is a real thing that is a plague in modern society that we should honestly hear more about, just from an awareness POV...not because sex addiction is awesome, obviously. But assaulting someone and then saying "its cool, they're going to rehab" would be like a junkie killing a dealer and then them going to rehab instead of jail. If someone in the public eye really had a problem and dealt with it BEFORE it became an issue of coercion and assault, that would be really brave, people have problems after all, but I don't think that "rehab" should be some alternative to actual prosecution of a crime.

But, as others have mentioned, he probably won't be back, which pisses me off too.

wenrob, marcyleecorgan and Gumbo4x4 like this.
  15. okeydokey

okeydokey Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child.

But it is not normal. You are excusing the behavior by trying to make it seem normal. If your kid had engaged in this behavior then he is the problem and if you think it's just what boys do, then so are you.

wenrob, kimblebee and gemini2727 like this.
  16. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I work in a women dominated field and you wouldn't believe the way women will talk about men. There is definitely a double standard. The worse harassment I've gotten was from a lesbian women. I'm not gay. I'm not a feminist. I do know women aren't always that sweet and innocent when it comes to this stuff. I know the men I work with would never get away with some of the stuff I've heard come out of some of my female coworkers. Just pointing out it's not just a male problem.

17. mnrose

mnrose Queen of all she surveys

I know it happens. I wonder why. It's not normal. It is a FORM of harassment. Excusing it leads some to pursue things like Mr. Weinstein. It should NOT happen. If you've been the recipient of it, it's not welcome and it's intimidating.

wenrob and NYCgrrl like this.
  18. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I'm not excusing anything. I just don't think it falls under the definition of illegal sexual harrassment. Bad behavior, rude, uncalled for yes.
    Tough crowd over here.

19. sunshinehighway

sunshinehighway Registered

Your clarification doesn't work because you said it was normal behavior for boys and men.
    It's still pretty sad that you think so little of boys.

ashley0139, kimblebee, mnrose and 2 others like this.
  20. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

You know what I'll bow out now and leave you guys to your discussion on harrassment. I don't come to these boards to be harassed because something I posted came out wrong. Have a nice day. I hope everyone enjoys there future trips to WDW and DCL.

21. ELKA

ELKA Registered

Cruiser21 isn't trying to excuse the behavior of the boys, but is acknowledging that group pressure is very difficult to withstand. I will give my experience in group behavior.

When I was a teen, I marched in a parade that celebrates Israel in NYC. The group I was marching with, were at a side street that was closed off to traffic and we waited a long time to march. As we waited, I noticed that all of a sudden a lot of police were coming into sight and they were locking arms from one corner to the other corner of the street. I was puzzled about why they were doing this. Then I noticed the people protesting the parade. A lot of them were Arabs, yelling slogans and raising fists. So we started yelling back, some curses in Arabic and when our teachers told us to stop we sang songs in Hebrew. There was definitely tension between the two groups, I felt it and then this thought came to my mind. I was thinking that if there was a spark that led to violence I wasn't sure that I would not join in. I did take that mental step back, and I acknowledge that my behavior until I took that step back that I was not thinking, joining in, and even with my thoughts I would have joined. We were a group and it was easy to not think about consequences. At the end of it, no violence or any one getting hurt. I guess that is why it wasn't on the tv news that night, even though I saw the camera filming us.