Has anyone built their own trailer?

phillymummer

DIS Veteran
Hello DISers!

DH and I are tent campers. Our dream is to own a clamshell teardrop trailer one day, but we are YEARS away from being able to afford one off of a lot. Somehow we got talking about building our own. We looked into and there are plenty of places to buy plans and kits and parts. I looked at a few sites to try to get an idea of prices and what it requires.

Now, my hubby is handy. He can build things. He can work a table saw and all kinds of tools. I'm just wondering if building our own teardrop is something we could really do. The biggest problem would be the wiring. He is NOT good with electricity! I would want a teardrop with AC and heat. I mean if we are stepping up from tents, I want a few more luxuries! LOL! I do not need a bathroom.... I'm fine with using comfort stations.

So.... has anyone done something like this? If so, can you tell me about your experience? Do you think it was worth it?

I am following someone who is building there own trailer on a truck forum. There is lots of work and skill required to build a trailer. The couple building their own also had a donor trailer for parts and such. From what I have been following has been a fairly long and large undertaking. This is not just screwing a couple of 2x4s together either. Plumbing, electricity, welding, wall fab are just part of it. Not to mention a place to build said trailer. This is not something that you can go to the local supply house and put together in a weekend. I don't want to squish your dreams here either. Just want to make sure this is not a weekend project. Then again, it might be easier to find something used and affordable. There are small Hybrids that are easily towed and stored. The Atlantic City RV show will be coming up in February as well as a PA show near King of Prussia around the same time. Hershey which is pretty much the huge one for the area is in September. Either way good luck with either way.

Thanks! Do you have a link to the truck forum? Or is it a private forum? I'd love to check that out. I appreciate your honestly. We know it would be a huge undertaking and it is not something we will take on without serious research. I keep telling hubby we should go to an RV show, but I think he knows we would be too tempted to buy something! LOL!

Mummer, you need to PM our poster Jets70/Steve. He has built a small tear drop trailer (with a wood outer shell no less). It would be good to pick his brain.

Bama Ed

Thanks! Do you have a link to the truck forum? Or is it a private forum? I'd love to check that out. I appreciate your honestly. We know it would be a huge undertaking and it is not something we will take on without serious research. I keep telling hubby we should go to an RV show, but I think he knows we would be too tempted to buy something! LOL!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1388606-aluminum-camper-build.html

Great thread on this couple building their own trailer. There are a couple of the build threads on a few of the major RV forums too. Electric is going to be interesting as you will need to know both AC and DC wiring structures for all systems using electric.

I read tons of threads on various popup / camper forums when we were doing our roof/semi-interior rebuild. We were very very lucky that our popup was given to us. However, looking back at the amount of money we invested in it (almost $2,000), I think we could probably have found a decent (older) popup to buy. All this to say, that the thrill of rebuilding with our own hands was so worth it and has made it so special, but the cost of materials, time, SPACE to do the work, and tools we ended up purchasing does not make for a cheap project. Plus, between my husband and his dad, they could do all the systems including electrical.

Read about other people who have done it and if you go for it - let us know how it goes! I would love to do a project like this. Good luck with your decision!

Electric is going to be interesting as you will need to know both AC and DC wiring structures for all systems using electric.
Electric could be simple or it could be complex, depending on how much you want to do. My suggestion, depending on your "Power Needs" would be to incorporate a pre-built Power Distribution Center. That would allow for simplifying the "Complex" tasks (of charge control, ac/dc switching, etc...). Then the complexity is limited to Power to Switch, Switch to load, load back to power loops. Unless you wanted to do 2 or 3 way switches (which is uncommon in RVs).

Obviously, if you are uncomfortable with dealing with Electricity (in this fashion) then you should really consult someone who is either an electrician or is comfortable with working with electricity (I am not an "Electrician" specifically, but I have a degree in it.)

@peg110 Well That is a pretty good thought there as part of the discussion. However, I am going beyond the Converter.

RVs have both AC and DC electrical systems. Systems like the water pump, furnace, lights, the fridge, slide outs, fans, 12 volt power outlets, even USB ports will all run off the 12 volt DC side. Now this side is going to be higher than 12 volts. It will run closer to let's say 13.6 volts due to the fact the converter also maintains charge of the battery. On the AC side, you will have power for the 12 volt converter, water heater (electric), the fridge, Air Conditioner, Microwave, 120 Volt outlets for TVs and other various electronics. The wiring structures of the AC and DC are going to be different. That will be another story when you are ready. Just some small food for thought items here.

Don't forget to inquire about the requirements needed to tag-license plate, and insure your build.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and links and advise. I knew this community would be the place to go for help. We will not attempt to do this without months of research and a full understanding of what it will take. Who knows, it is very possible that after all the research we will decide that this is NOT something we want to take on.

Have you poked around at the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum? http://tnttt.com/

That's where I did a ton of research and estimating several years ago. I haven't visited in years (except for just now to find the link to post), but there was a ton of information, help, and ideas there and it looks like it is still an active forum.

DH and I are both handy and could handle quite a bit of a build, but neither of us is very patient with true woodworking, like where the doors and clamshell need to be precise. We also didn't have the space for a project of that size. So we ultimately decided to buy an Aliner hardside A frame pop up rather than build. (an as you can see by my avatar pic, we've sized up since then, LOL) I see from your signature that you have a DD. That's one thing to consider as you noodle on what you want to build...children grow...and eventually might want to bring friends camping, which can be a whole lot of fun, but requires more space!

Hello DISers!

DH and I are tent campers. Our dream is to own a clamshell teardrop trailer one day, but we are YEARS away from being able to afford one off of a lot. Somehow we got talking about building our own. We looked into and there are plenty of places to buy plans and kits and parts. I looked at a few sites to try to get an idea of prices and what it requires.

Now, my hubby is handy. He can build things. He can work a table saw and all kinds of tools. I'm just wondering if building our own teardrop is something we could really do. The biggest problem would be the wiring. He is NOT good with electricity! I would want a teardrop with AC and heat. I mean if we are stepping up from tents, I want a few more luxuries! LOL! I do not need a bathroom.... I'm fine with using comfort stations.

So.... has anyone done something like this? If so, can you tell me about your experience? Do you think it was worth it?

We have never experienced this, but we have a friend that built a teardrop - did an excellent job, but was not cheap, easy or quick - if you want it to look professional. He is a perfectionist.

Along with all the advice you've been given above, one of the main things I'd stress is making sure you have a large enclosed area to build it! I mean something you can use for several months - like a large garage just for this project!!

I've met a couple of folks that have purchased cargo trailers and added kitchens/baths/electric and both should have just bought a toy hauler considering how much they spent. The teardrop thing should be doable though. I'd probably try to scavenge the surplus/salvage rv lots for parts though.

https://colawrvsalvage.com/

I've met a couple of folks that have purchased cargo trailers and added kitchens/baths/electric and both should have just bought a toy hauler considering how much they spent. The teardrop thing should be doable though. I'd probably try to scavenge the surplus/salvage rv lots for parts though.

https://colawrvsalvage.com/

I've seen these cargo conversions and they look like just what they are - make do homemade!! As you said, the money spent could have bought a nice looking trailer.
'Some' things are just not worth trying to do yourself.

Just how big of a space would we need? Would one-car garage (that we don't park in. Ever) be big enough? If not, then this project is over before it started! LOL! I have a feeling just saving up money and buying a used one is the way we will go.

Really, the space you have to use is entirely up to you. If you have MORE space, it just makes things easier. You can lay things out better, you aren't working in cramped/tight spaces. You can do it in a one car garage. Is it an "Older" style one car garage? (You know where you can barely open the door to get out once parked)? or is it more spacious then that? It's all about what you are comfortable doing.

If you do continue with your build, I am sure folks here would LOVE to hear about it and have pictures with the progress along the way.

Campissetup2_zpsf67e4e86.jpg

20140621_082842_zps2739a7c7.jpg

20140621_082734_zps0f0ef514.jpg

We have had our teardrop (Benroy hybrid) to WDW 3 times and stayed in 100 loop once and 200 loop twice. The last time we stayed in 200 loop we had a tent for our kids to stay in with a portable AC. Worked great. We also put the tent under a 10 x 10 ezee up with walls to keep out the weather and also help keep the tent cool.
Our camper was a family project. My dad and I built it, my mother made the Disney curtains and my wife did the staining and applying the urethane.
@phillymummer this is a post I made on a different thread. Building the teardrop was a lot of fun. Another poster had referenced a link to TNTT.com. This is a link to my build journal. PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=53745

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter