Has anyone eaten at Big River Grille and Brewing Works at Boardwalk? Was it crowded?

People seem genuinely curious as to why I chose there vs anywhere else so let me explain.

Usually choosing our restaurants is easy because we know what we like and we know new places we are interested in trying but this is a semi unique situation because this meal must be lunch and must be not in a park because we are going to MVMCP later that day and don't have regular park tickets for that day.

Trust me we have poured over the menus and this is one of the only restaurants that has something we will both enjoy for entrees, drinks, and desserts.
Many of the other restaurants had several menu items one of us would like and then the other person was basically stuck with a piece of butter fried chicken. Oh you don't want these 5 different seafood options? Here's a piece of fried chicken for you. Or oh you don't want these 5 pasta items? Here's a piece of fried chicken for you!
Neither of us were thrilled with the thought of fried chicken lol.
Also since we are on the DDP we get a dessert and don't want to waste it on items we really don't think we will like. This restaurant has a couple of items that we'd love.
We looked into a couple of brunches but oddly they didn't have much of a variety and going on a Sunday you would think they'd have ham but its not mentioned.

Granted many people would scoff at our other restaurant choices as well but then again there are plenty of places that we don't like but I don't go around saying "its the worst" just because I personally wasn't a fan.
As Pete would say you should form your own opinion.

We ate there once (and DH ate there another time with other people as well). We went for a late lunch, probably around 2:00 on a weekday. It wasn't crowded, but it was 2:00 on a weekday during a slower week at WDW. We thought it was decent. We had burgers/sandwiches and a couple flights of beer (which was why DH picked the place). I didn't even notice the lack of fries. A lot of places we go that are burger/sandwich/brewery type places don't do fries, so it didn't even stand out to me. I certainly didn't notice a dirty mop smell, and I usually notice smells.

I would go back. DH and DS like to go to ESPN and I usually suggest that we go to Big River instead because I think it's MUCH better than ESPN.

I had lunch there on a Sunday a few weeks ago. It wasn’t crowded at all. On previous trips I noticed that it seems to be hopping in the evening though. My server was pleasant. The food was all right, but I thought I could have made something similar myself and it would have tasted better. I most likely wouldn’t return because there are better options within walking distance, but my situation is different than yours. I know it’s tough to find a restaurant that will satisfy everyone!

People seem genuinely curious as to why I chose there vs anywhere else so let me explain.

Usually choosing our restaurants is easy because we know what we like and we know new places we are interested in trying but this is a semi unique situation because this meal must be lunch and must be not in a park because we are going to MVMCP later that day and don't have regular park tickets for that day.

Trust me we have poured over the menus and this is one of the only restaurants that has something we will both enjoy for entrees, drinks, and desserts.
Many of the other restaurants had several menu items one of us would like and then the other person was basically stuck with a piece of butter fried chicken. Oh you don't want these 5 different seafood options? Here's a piece of fried chicken for you. Or oh you don't want these 5 pasta items? Here's a piece of fried chicken for you!
Neither of us were thrilled with the thought of fried chicken lol.
Also since we are on the DDP we get a dessert and don't want to waste it on items we really don't think we will like. This restaurant has a couple of items that we'd love.
We looked into a couple of brunches but oddly they didn't have much of a variety and going on a Sunday you would think they'd have ham but its not mentioned.

Granted many people would scoff at our other restaurant choices as well but then again there are plenty of places that we don't like but I don't go around saying "its the worst" just because I personally wasn't a fan.
As Pete would say you should form your own opinion.

If it appeals to you, go for it! The Boardwalk is certainly a lovely place to be at late lunchtime. I hope you enjoy it!

I doubt you will any trouble walking up for lunch. In general, non-park restaurants at WDW aren’t very busy at lunch time.

Now that the mod made it clear that I in fact asked for reviews I welcome them.
Let me know what you thought of the food and smell please.
Wet mop? Sad that there are no fries?
Crowded? What time did you go?
How recently did you go?
Your sarcasm is offensive and unnecessary. If you don’t like the responses you get to questions that you ask, then perhaps you should ignore them or look for your answers elsewhere. Go, don’t go, let it be crowded, let it be empty.....maybe find some tolerance....

Your sarcasm is offensive and unnecessary. If you don’t like the responses you get to questions that you ask, then perhaps you should ignore them or look for your answers elsewhere. Go, don’t go, let it be crowded, let it be empty.....maybe find some tolerance....

No worries, I got this ;)

Not crowded and the food was average pub fare which is good enough for me. The pilsner was above average. Its a good value and I would go again if it's convenient but it's not worth going out of your way.

Been there once about 1 pm and it was walk up and we sat outdoors. Beautiful setting. Ate there another evening, again walk up and no wait.
The food and beer are decent. Not badly priced compared to many other options.
We would go back.
I have no idea what the wet mop comment is about as none of the 4 of us noted any weird smells both times we were there.
Sitting outside with the lake view is really nice.
Are there better places to eat, absolutely, but they are generally much more expensive.

Last edited:
I don't think OP was offensive at all. That one poster was extremely abrasive with the food is awful and the place smells bad...it's terrible...there are much better places than that horrible stinky place. OP nicely asked about crowd levels and probably wouldn't have flinched at a 'not my fave but, no, don't worry about criwds' type post. OP even responded nicely and that poster kept going. Seems THEY were looking to stir up trouble.

I don't think OP was offensive at all. That one poster was extremely abrasive with the food is awful and the place smells bad...it's terrible...there are much better places than that horrible stinky place. OP nicely asked about crowd levels and probably wouldn't have flinched at a 'not my fave but, no, don't worry about criwds' type post. OP even responded nicely and that poster kept going. Seems THEY were looking to stir up trouble.

Thanks. I think I was just caught off guard with what I felt was someone being down right rude about the thought of me even wanting to eat there and I do admit that after a few more posts that were meant to push my buttons I probably did take my tone a bit too far.
100% I would not mind someone telling me its not their cup of tea because there's certainly places that I don't care for but I think it was just the matter of fact way they said it.
I was quite excited and it just dragged me down about 20 pegs lol.
Sorry guys.
I do want to know what people think of it now though after seeing that strong of a reaction.

We went in January of 2016. We were told there was a 30-45 minute wait for a table, but were immediately seated at the bar. The chips and queso I ordered were good as was my husband’s quesadilla. We also ordered drinks.

We just got back from a stay at the BCV. We ate there one night and thought the fish tacos were amazing. Went around 5:30 pm and had no wait for a table for 8 outside. Food was good, no wait, good service. Would not hesitate to go back again.

We have eaten there more times than I would have liked. A few times because there was no wait. LOL I don't love their beer or their food. Have never had a great waiter or waitress. Last waiter was so bad I told DH we were never going back again. Don't eat inside if you can help it. It's too loud and you are in your neighbors lap. Outside is nice in the evening.

Give it a whirl and find out for yourself.

I'd take overwhelmingly negative reviews with a grain of salt. Plenty of people hate Earl of Sandwich and yet, I know you like it and I do, too.

If I listened to all negative reviews of places, I'd probably never eat anywhere but home.

I'm eating at Hollywood&Vine in Sept. which people seem to think is some horrific sin, but my family could all agree on the options. I've read some reviews that absolutely hate it, but what I see is a standard buffet. No big deal.

People just need to remember it isn't their trip so they don't need to take it as a personal affront that someone wants to eat somewhere they don't.

Give it a whirl and find out for yourself.

I'd take overwhelmingly negative reviews with a grain of salt. Plenty of people hate Earl of Sandwich and yet, I know you like it and I do, too.

If I listened to all negative reviews of places, I'd probably never eat anywhere but home.

I'm eating at Hollywood&Vine in Sept. which people seem to think is some horrific sin, but my family could all agree on the options. I've read some reviews that absolutely hate it, but what I see is a standard buffet. No big deal.

People just need to remember it isn't their trip so they don't need to take it as a personal affront that someone wants to eat somewhere they don't.

Fair enough, but then why post here asking for/reading reviews if you are then going to say it's useless? If someone asks for reviews or starts a thread about a place and people post their views, they don't need to "remember it's not their trip." No one is taking it as a personal affront that someone wants to eat anywhere.

Fair enough, but then why post here asking for/reading reviews if you are then going to say it's useless? If someone asks for reviews or starts a thread about a place and people post their views, they don't need to "remember it's not their trip." No one is taking it as a personal affront that someone wants to eat anywhere.

Well, when someone then relentlessly posts replies about how awful it is, it looks like they took it a little too personally instead of just saying, "I don't like it, here's why." They couldn't say their piece and let it go. They kept posting which certainly makes it seem like it's personal.

OP wanted some opinions, but not obnoxious ones. I didn't say all reviews were useless, but that she shouldn't place a huge weight on them because they're so subjective. Her taste and your taste and my taste can be wildly different; therefore, you can't place a ton of emphasis on the opinions of others. Especially not those of posters who repeatedly attack others for their choices.

We found the food to be quite mediocre; bland or too salty (never seemed to be a happy medium), a bit greasy and sometimes only lukewarm. Not really bad, but not great. Service was fine, not too crowded and it's definitely nice to sit outside. The beer is really good with a very nice selection. So we've generally skipped eating full meals there and just ordered a beer and maybe a salad which is OK. Not high on my list of places to eat but if we're in the area, especially if we're staying one of the Epcot resorts, we will sometimes stop by in the mid-afternoon. I always felt like their main focus, interest and effort was on the beer not the food. It pays off on the beer but the food seems an afterthought.

I only ate there once, and it was pretty bad. The sauce on my chicken was just a notch above water--really bad consistency. It was also nearly empty but still terribly slow. That said, I've eaten at another Big River Grill location several times and it's always been very good, so it could've just been an off night. I'd say it's worth a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts