Has anyone eaten at Big River Grille and Brewing Works at Boardwalk? Was it crowded?

We’ve eaten there three times, and have enjoyed every visit. We’ve gotten cheeseburgers on the three visits, so I can’t comment on their other offerings, but the cheeseburgers are good.

The only time we had a delay getting seated was a Sunday lunch, during a NFL game. And 12/9 is a NFL Sunday, so I suggest making an Opentable reservation. You probably can make it 24 hours in advance as most guests are likely walkups.

Also if you have a Gordon Biersch Card, I think you can acquire points at Big River. We used a Gordon Biersch gift card at Big River.

I think you should try it yourself because you want to, otherwise you'll just be wondering.
That said, I was excited about the menu when we went. We walked in no problem for lunch around 1pm weekday. Definitely plenty of room for us, no wait, tables nowhere near full.
It was okay. While I wouldn't choose it again, I wouldn't necessarily not give it another chance. We all agreed on this.
I think my personal biggest complaint was cleanliness. The best way I can describe it is that feel when you just keep using the same old dishrag or mop to just keep going over stuff to clean it, without using more soap. Don't know if this is standard MO, or just a fluke when we went.
I can't even recall what any of us ate.

I think it's easier to just walk in for lunch. We were recently there for dinner. It was full. We had a 20 minute wait. Since it was just DH and I, we opted to sit at the bar and a few others followed after us. We ordered Quesadilla's for appetizer, beef burger (can't think of the name) for DH and I had one of their salads which was huge. All was very good. Definitely no complaints. We would not hesitate to eat there again.

We went once because it was the only place in any distance that had walk-up availability. As a matter of fact - dozens of other families were waiting hours for other restaurants and this place seemed dead and we walked in with no wait.

Well - there's a reason for that... worst place I've ever eaten anywhere. Yes, smells bad - service horrible - food AWFUL - not one redeeming quality in the entire experience. I'd wait 2 hours for a boardwalk funnel cake for dinner before I'd eat there again even if my meal was comped. Sorry, hope your experience is better than mine.

I've been curious about this place and it looks like opinions are all over the place. Sometimes we just want a decent burger and this might work if we're in that area. The brewery smell doesn't bother me.

This was one of the most under whelming places I have ever eaten at (Disney and non Disney restaurants). I would strongly suggest trying a different places....Disney has so many unique options...this is not one of them ;)

I've been curious about this place and it looks like opinions are all over the place. Sometimes we just want a decent burger and this might work if we're in that area. The brewery smell doesn't bother me.

It's not a normal brewery smell. It's something else and it's disgusting. This is the only terrible smelling place I know of in WDW. It doesn't smell like other breweries I've been to. (and I've worked in a malt plant).

Well - there's a reason for that... worst place I've ever eaten anywhere. Yes, smells bad - service horrible - food AWFUL - not one redeeming quality in the entire experience. I'd wait 2 hours for a boardwalk funnel cake for dinner before I'd eat there again even if my meal was comped. Sorry, hope your experience is better than mine.

Yup, nailed it.

We've only been there one time, and it was just my wife and I that time. It was dinner. We ate inside and I do remember it being very crowded in there. I would go outside if the weather permits.

The food was good, and we enjoyed it. Not great, not bad.

Dan

We've been 3 times and each time there was a little bit of a wait- maybe 20 minutes? We have found the place to be fine; nothing to rave over, nothing to criticize. It IS small, you are close to your neighbor's table, but that happens in lots of places (I'm thinking Le Cellier, for TWO credits!). The food was solid, nothing special, but nothing bad. If you are going on a party night (where you have to keep a schedule and places may be busier because of this), I'd suggest you make a reservation through Open Table. That way, if you change your mind last-minute, you won't lose your ADR deposit.

Being seated near other parties isn't all bad. There was a group of convention-attendees sitting next to us, and they were in a happy mood. Not raucous, not offensive, just clearly sharing a bottle of wine or 2 and having a good time. It was relaxed, someone asked DH a question, we got to chatting a little. It was one of the group's birthday, and we were lucky enough to have cake with them! Not a bad experience at all!

Take it with whatever salt you want. Much better restaurants around the boardwalk include: ESPN, Bakery, Al Forno, FF, Cape May, Beaches and Cream, Yachtsman, and Hannahs. Not all of those are great, but they are all much better than Big River. Would love to hear what you thought of it after you go (food and smell).

Its been 6 months and I'm reporting back to you as requested.
I ate there last night at about 6pm.
There was no bad smell on the boardwalk nor near the restuarant.
In fact it smelled like cotton candy and the bakery up and down the entire boardwalk.
We got a seat inside right next to the window so we could look out on passers by.
It became quite crowded about 20 minutes after we arrived so we had some good timing.
The staff was very attentive coming around every few minutes to update you on how long it would be for your food to arrive and asking if you needed anything after your food did arrive.
I got the Mac N Chicken with Bacon as I suspected I would and it was excellent.
I also got a lemon drop martini which was very good especially with the sugar rim. Yum.
The cheesecake was absolutely to die for. As the waitress said if you're only going to have 2 desserts in your restaurant they better both be amazing.
My sister had a long island, Brewers Club, and cheesecake and was just as delighted as I was.
Anyways just wanted to let you and everyone else know that I loved it there and would recommend it for those interested.

WE stay at the BWI a lot. We’ve eaten at River Grill twice separated by several years. We’ve always been able to walk up. Sometimes in the evening they are busier with folks drinking.
Both times we found the food mediocre. The service was slow. Amazingly it took over 20 minutes to get our check and pay after we were done both times we ate there. It’s noisy inside, the chairs are uncomfortable. Outside the tables are close together and the folks walking by on the Boardwalk are inches from you.

I don’t think I could talk my husband into eating there ever again, not that I’d ever suggest it. I am really surprised they are still there. They must sell lots of beer.

Service was not at all slow and we certainly didnt wait 20 minutes after we were done.
I liked it. You don't have to lol.

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you tried it and glad you enjoyed it! Any other dining highlights during your trip? I book my ADR’s with the deluxe plan in 6 days, so would love your thoughts on any stand outs for you!

Thanks for reporting back. Glad you tried it and glad you enjoyed it! Any other dining highlights during your trip? I book my ADR’s with the deluxe plan in 6 days, so would love your thoughts on any stand outs for you!
I tried The Wave for the first time this trip. Food was among the best I've had. My sister and I were twins there. We both had the blow glow martini, Reubens, and seasonal trio dessert. Our waiter was awesome and from Peru. My sister has been so she was showing him pics of food she ate there..
I will say the atmosphere was not quite what I would have expected and I feel like they were short some kitchen staff because they were behind but my food came out hot and fresh!

I tried The Wave for the first time this trip. Food was among the best I've had. My sister and I were twins there. We both had the blow glow martini, Reubens, and seasonal trio dessert. Our waiter was awesome and from Peru. My sister has been so she was showing him pics of food she ate there..
I will say the atmosphere was not quite what I would have expected and I feel like they were short some kitchen staff because they were behind but my food came out hot and fresh!
I agree, The Wave is great and I think a hidden gem at WDW.

It's our arrival lunch/dinner spot when we stay at BWV. Love the burgers! We were staying at Poly in September, we monorailed to Epcot to get a visit credit for the cutting board, had dinner at Big River, then went to DHS for our Slinky Dog fastpass. Great as always!

We prefer to sit outside but it was so hot in September, we opted for inside.

I will only eat there if we can sit outside. Was inside once and way too loud and close tables.

we walked up for lunch before with no wait. went for dinner and there was a line and wait. the bar area is first come and were able to find a spot for two but it was still busy. this was in may.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter