Has anyone ever had to cancel a trip because airfare never came down?

Liz

Make a miracle!
I'm getting really discouraged. We are supposed to go to WDW the last week of June. I've always had plane tickets long before now on previous trips. I check airfare every day and its just ridiculous ($574 per person). We bought AP's last year so we could get in another trip this summer before they expire. At this point I'm wondering if we're going to go at all. If we had to I guess we could push the trip into July or early August when the AP's expire, but we're supposed to be there for a special event the end of June. Driving isn't an option (too far). Well I feel better now just getting my frustration out.

We are driving down for Easter. I have never seen the airfare as high as this year. I have been watching for something in the 250 or lower range since 11 months out. No luck. I have about 20 more days to book a fair before I have to change my reservations so I have driving days. I know exactly how you feel. It stinks! Good luck!

Make sure you check alternate airports (Tampa in FL) and whatever alternate airport is available where you live. Even though fares are similar there may be more discounted seats available. Also check fares a day or 2 before and after you want. Sometimes changing your plans by a few days may make a big difference.
Some airlines (SW, JetBlue) don't always show up in places like expedia. That said if you want to go during a holiday week and you wait to long you may wind up with no seats at any price.

My strategy is to accept the fares as I first find them as the best I'll get. I then adjust my resort choice and meal plans accordingly. If rates come down, I'll jump on them and then get better digs or plan more sit-down meals. Rates are high from my small local airport but the same as last year out of Phila.

Bill From PA

If I had to adjust my plans to be able to afford $574 airfare we'd be staying in a cardboard box in the parking lot!!! I'm used to paying around $250 and feel lucky if it goes below that! I appreciate the advice though.

I have checked alternate airports & dates in Florida. But there are no alternate choices for airports to leave from. Salt Lake City is it.

I checked the Southwest Web site and found this

Jun 24 Mon 2 1589 Depart Salt Lake City (SLC) at 2:40 PM and arrive in Phoenix (PHX) at 3:20 PM
1421 Change planes in Phoenix (PHX) departing at 4:05 PM and arrive in Orlando (MCO) at 12:10 AM
Return Jun 29 Sat 1 1064 Depart Orlando (MCO) at 12:10 PM and arrive in St. Louis (STL) at 1:35 PM
247 Change planes in St. Louis (STL) departing at 3:20 PM and arrive in Salt Lake City (SLC) at 5:30 PM

THis was $258 round trip. Internet air special that must be booked on line. I did have to play around with the dates to ge this one. The best I could get on a Sat to Sat fare was $382. (it also had better times) Remember that SW will NOT show up on expedia, travelocity, orbitz etc. You have to go to their web site.

Don't give up, keep checking. We are going May 4 to 10. We always fly down on Saturday morning on either the 9:30 or 11:30 flight. 9:30 has been showing as sold out and 11:30 was $775 at one point! No way! The 2:30 was $183 but I didn't want to go that late, so I waited. Then one day last week, I happened to check the 11:30 on USAir's site and it was $183! I booked it so fast! I just checked it and it is up to $293. So keep watching.

Look into flights that have a stop - it stinks I know - but some airlines have such cheap rates just for making a stop. Also look into any charter airlines you may have in your area. Charters usually have cheaper seats.

Keep checking. I was looking at fares about 120 days before trip and they were WAY TOO HIGH! At the 100 day mark a seat sale came up and I jumped on it! Good thing, cause the prices went way up again. So keep your eyes peeled! S

When looking for airfare I always check daily. I have gotten airfare specials before that only lasted 24hrs. So, if I hadn't checked I would have missed it.

My advice is decide what is an acceptable price to pay and then check daily and if you get near or the exact price book it. It may go down but it may go up never to come down again. It's like craps....But check daily it truley is the only way to find a good fare. I don't think there are any great fares anymore. Good Luck

If all else fails, you could try Priceline. Check biddingfortravel.com, that is the board that sheryl has and using it did wonders for our Phoenix vacation this month. The airlines wanted outragious amounts for us to fly there and driving 3 days was out of the question. It would have cost us $700 to fly from Indy to Phoenix, but priceline got us there for under $550! This is from our home airport, too, so we don't have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get to Indy. You do not get to pick your time or airlines, but we got great flights there and back. (not always the case, though) On that board you can atleast check to see what others are getting, price wise, and see what their flight times are.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO SUGGESTED WAYS TO GET AN AFFORDABLE AIRFARE!!! And Carol A, WOW, to go to the trouble of checking Southwest for me . . . awesome!

Yesterday morning I did my daily airfare check, expecting to fine the same old thing. SLC to MCO was (and still is) way over $500. I always check Jacksonville too, but its NEVER been cheaper than Orlando to my knowledge. I about fell off my chair when Jacksonville came up just a little over $200 RT!!!!! My mom lives in Jacksonville and part of our trip will be spent there anyway, so it doesn't add any inconvenience to fly there at all, just had to do a little rearranging of when we do Disney and when we visit mom! With taxes and 9/11 fee our tickets are $206.50 per person!!!!! I haven't gotten a price that low since my son was about a year old (and he's 14 now)!!! And its on Delta, which we like to fly since we accumulate FF miles with them!!!

What a relief!!!!!!!! :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter