Has anyone had a CV-19 antibody test?

Kay7979

FANTASY NOVEL AUTHOR
I called our county health dept. to see if they had antibody tests. They said Red Cross was spearheading antibody tests and plasma donations. I called Red Cross in a larger city near us, and they were useless. They referred me to some national Red Cross number. Those people wondered why my husband and I hadn’t been tested for CV19 when we had the symptoms, but that was back in February when cases weren’t prevalent and there were no tests. At the end of the call, the person referred me back to our own doctor and Health Dept. Sigh. So, bottom line: unless you’ve already tested positive for CV19, it’s all but impossible to get an antibody test.

Sigh. So, bottom line: unless you’ve already tested positive for CV19, it’s all but impossible to get an antibody test.

Until more sensitive and readily available tests are here, this is the right approach. When there are limitations you have to start somewhere (just like the initial testing and how they were only testing people that had visited a hotspot, etc.) Right now they are trying to target that point between infection and immunity, and maybe get a general read on how long immunity lasts for many people, plus plasma donations. Just be patient, you should be able to get one in the upcoming months.

I called our county health dept. to see if they had antibody tests. They said Red Cross was spearheading antibody tests and plasma donations. I called Red Cross in a larger city near us, and they were useless. They referred me to some national Red Cross number. Those people wondered why my husband and I hadn’t been tested for CV19 when we had the symptoms, but that was back in February when cases weren’t prevalent and there were no tests. At the end of the call, the person referred me back to our own doctor and Health Dept. Sigh. So, bottom line: unless you’ve already tested positive for CV19, it’s all but impossible to get an antibody test.
If you live an a state serviced by Quest Labs or Arcpoint Labs you can pay to have an antibody test, no doctors order required.

https://www.arcpointlabs.com/covid-19-antibody-testing/
https://questdirect.questdiagnostic...response/b580e541-78a5-48a6-b17b-7bad949dcb57

If you live an a state serviced by Quest Labs or Arcpoint Labs you can pay to have an antibody test, no doctors order required.

https://questdirect.questdiagnostic...response/b580e541-78a5-48a6-b17b-7bad949dcb57

More incomplete, possibly misleading information. A doctor’s order is needed.

From that cited Quest site.
“QuestDirect provides an alternative option where you can conveniently shop and pay online. An independent physician will provide oversight and order your testing.”

My husband called our doctor today. She said since we have PPO, she can write an order for Quest to have the blood test done for the COVID-19 antibody.
We traveled internationally over New Years. The day we got home I started not feeling well - horrible cough. Went to urgent care - the doctor said it was a strain of the flu and wasn't going to test me because he had seen 8 other patients that day with the exact same symptoms. I stayed home from work almost 2 weeks but it took awhile to finally shake the symptoms. We were never tested for COVID-19 or the flu.

“QuestDirect provides an alternative option where you can conveniently shop and pay online. An independent physician will provide oversight and order your testing.”
You do not need to see your doctor or any doctor. You do not need to involve your insurance, unless you want to.

You can order the test yourself and magically behind the scenes a doctors order is generated. You are not required to ever speak to or receive consultation from that independent physician. The doctors fee is built into the cost of the test.

No labs anywhere near Western NY, but this may be helpful information for someone else, so thanks! I see both labs say it’s possible that antibodies might be present from some other strain of coronavirus, so even if antibodies are present, it’s not 100% certain they’re from CV19. Still, I’d be willing to bet they are after having CV19 symptoms.

It says a doctor is not necessary but you SHOULD share the info with your doctor.

My son did and was negative. He is being retested again for a one month comparson. The is at the hospital where he works at here in New York for research purposes.
I think they want to look at 500 health care workers who are around/exposed to covid patients. He is an ICU nurse who works with covid patients.

Last edited:
My husband called our doctor today. She said since we have PPO, she can write an order for Quest to have the blood test done for the COVID-19 antibody.
We traveled internationally over New Years. The day we got home I started not feeling well - horrible cough. Went to urgent care - the doctor said it was a strain of the flu and wasn't going to test me because he had seen 8 other patients that day with the exact same symptoms. I stayed home from work almost 2 weeks but it took awhile to finally shake the symptoms. We were never tested for COVID-19 or the flu.

If you’re like us, you’d like to know for sure what you had. We have a couple relatives in their 80s that we look after. It would be nice to know if we’ve had the virus and aren’t carriers.

I am in NYC and was able to get the antibody test at CityMD (a local walk in clinic) last week Anyone can get in line to have a test at any of their locations with no appts (lines are not short though). If your insurance does not cover it then they indicated you would be billed a $55 lab fee. I was down for a week in early March with flu symptoms so I was suspicious, but I tested negative. My test was Tuesday afternoon and I had the results Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: rlk
If you’re like us, you’d like to know for sure what you had. We have a couple relatives in their 80s that we look after. It would be nice to know if we’ve had the virus and aren’t carriers.
Yes we'd like to know if we have the antibodies - but no definitive answers if people with the antibodies can get the virus again.

I am in NYC and was able to get the antibody test at CityMD (a local walk in clinic) last week Anyone can get in line to have a test at any of their locations with no appts (lines are not short though). If your insurance does not cover it then they indicated you would be billed a $55 lab fee. I was down for a week in early March with flu symptoms so I was suspicious, but I tested negative. My test was Tuesday afternoon and I had the results Saturday afternoon.

I was passing a CityMD after my run this morning and since there was no line, I went in for the test. Will find out in 3-5 days.

In Oklahoma. My daughter was tested this morning, got her results back this afternoon- negative for anti-bodies. Her insurance pays 100% of the cost.

No labs anywhere near Western NY, but this may be helpful information for someone else, so thanks! I see both labs say it’s possible that antibodies might be present from some other strain of coronavirus, so even if antibodies are present, it’s not 100% certain they’re from CV19. Still, I’d be willing to bet they are after having CV19 symptoms.

There are a lot of Quest Diagnostics locations in WNY. I just did a quick search & came up with 20 sites in Buffalo & the suburbs. Not sure where you are located but there should be something near you.

Kaleida is offering testing for the community too. And the WellNow Urgent Care sites are offering it too. You can even get it there without an appointment.

Last edited:
I had the antibody test on April 24, and I tested positive for it. I had the swab at the same time so they did not know if I had COVID-19 before they did the antibody test. Because I tested positive for the antibody, I was not able to see my doctor today! They would not let me in the office!! Said that I would have to show them proof that I did not have COVID-19! Maybe everyone should have to show proof because no one knows for sure if they have it or not. I had an appointment to see my doctor to get the results from a bone scan and a CT scan that I had last week (because my tumor marker levels were up due to cancer that I had 4 years ago). The people who did the CT scan and bone scan did not care that I tested positive for the antibody (in fact, they did not even ask). Thank goodness I got the results myself so I already knew the answer (no cancer). My doctor ended up doing a virtual appointment with me (which she should have done instead of having me come in just to tell me I didn't have cancer). Apparently the tumor marker level tests can show false/positive results just like everything else. I called to get my results of my COVID-19 swab and they said they did not get a good swab and now I need to do it again! I am flying up to Wisconsin on Saturday. Maybe I should take a copy of my COVID-19 test with me when I get it in case they make it mandatory that everyone show proof that they don't have it.

You do not need a doctor’s order for the antibody test. My sister was able to get one done last week at one of the Quest Diagnostics sites. She got the results the next day: negative for the COVID-19 antibody.

(We were curious because she was very sick with bronchitis/flu like symptoms late January/early Feb after a cruise. MANY of our fellow cruisers were sick, with some developing pneumonia.)

People with COVID type symptoms wanting to know if they have the active virus do have to jump through hoops, have very specific symptoms and be referred by a doctor to be tested, but the antibody tests are available in some locations now.

Just checked SonoraQuest labs (in AZ) and they said that while right now, it must be ordered by your doctor, they "hope" to have it available to anyone without a doctor's note in "early May." This is what I am most interested in, especially for my kids, each of whom had some symptoms just before their spring break (which would have been roughly the first week in March). It was a bit early for us though, in Arizona.

However, I was in Disneyland the last few days of February so I am sort of hoping I was exposed during that trip! (Never had any symptoms).

Our son in Houston TX had to go in to work yesterday and last week, he had both the Covid test and antibody test. He tested negative on both counts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter