Has anyone had a CV-19 antibody test?

Mine was negative. I am a doctor in NY state (not in a hospital) and went to NYC monthly and my husband and sister commuting to NYC (til early march). Had weird chest pain symptoms and needed my inhaler (rare) in mid feb and then whole family got sick with hacking coughs..

So that I wouldn't have to worry any more about getting it.
No. I didn’t say it would give me immunity.

You did though. How would you not have to worry about getting it if you didn’t think you had immunity.

Or did you mean you believe your body reacts mildly to it. And if it’s that, I think it’s too early to assume any subsequent rounds with the virus would react exactly the same way.

Mine was negative. I am a doctor in NY state (not in a hospital) and went to NYC monthly and my husband and sister commuting to NYC (til early march). Had weird chest pain symptoms and needed my inhaler (rare) in mid feb and then whole family got sick with hacking coughs..
Very similar really thought family had but it would have been early feb for us which gave me a lot of doubt, still they wanted me for the study.

You did though. How would you not have to worry about getting it if you didn’t think you had immunity.

Or did you mean you believe your body reacts mildly to it. And if it’s that, I think it’s too early to assume any subsequent rounds with the virus would react exactly the same way.

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I never said that it would give me immunity.

More incomplete, possibly misleading information. A doctor’s order is needed.

From that cited Quest site.
“QuestDirect provides an alternative option where you can conveniently shop and pay online. An independent physician will provide oversight and order your testing.”
Keep in mind that these tests offered by Quest, LabCorps, etc. are not approved by the FDA right now and the labs are not reporting on their accuracy percentages for a reason. If you are paying for a test, just know that you might be just as well off asking your magic 8 ball.
DD had the test through Quest. She ordered and paid online. The test came back within hours as negative, but with caveats. I'm not sure how the results could have been completed within hours when the site indicated that they were backed up and not to expect the results for up to six days. The results indicated that false results were possible. Not really sure it was worth the money.

I am seeing my oncologist this next week. I will ask if I should be tested as both DD and I were very ill around the end of February with respiratory symptoms. My oncologist treated me for the beginning stage of pneumonia. If my results come back different than DD, we will know the results can't be trusted.

DD had the test through Quest. She ordered and paid online. The test came back within hours as negative, but with caveats. I'm not sure how the results could have been completed within hours when the site indicated that they were backed up and not to expect the results for up to six days. The results indicated that false results were possible. Not really sure it was worth the money.

I am seeing my oncologist this next week. I will ask if I should be tested as both DD and I were very ill around the end of February with respiratory symptoms. My oncologist treated me for the beginning stage of pneumonia. If my results come back different than DD, we will know the results can't be trusted.

As far as I know, Quest is using a rapid test, with results available within 15 minutes to the lab technicians.

Keep in mind that these tests offered by Quest, LabCorps, etc. are not approved by the FDA right now and the labs are not reporting on their accuracy percentages for a reason. If you are paying for a test, just know that you might be just as well off asking your magic 8 ball.
Actually Quest labs ARE using FDA approved tests
Exactly. Even if you legitimately test positive for antibodies (though everyone should be skeptical of their results), it may not even be for Covid-19. Plus, there is no evidence how long those antibodies last.
Actually the specificity of the tests are quite good. Viruses are unique and and it is possible to make a test that looks just for those unique characteristics
FDA approved tests and specificity and sensitivity ranges.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...ices/eua-authorized-serology-test-performance
Perhaps it is too soon to notice detectable levels. I heard it takes about six weeks after an illness. That person could onsider retesting later, if she wants. She already knows she had it, though, so probably not worth it.
Can you show me where having the antibodies means that you are immune?
Scientists who have looked at antibodies to other coronaviruses — both the common-cold causing foursome and SARS and MERS — found they persisted for at least a few years, indicating people were protected from reinfection for at least that long. From then, protection might start to wane, not drop off completely. from https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/20...nity-and-antibodies-and-plenty-we-still-dont/
Immunity isn't just a "have antibody will fight" thing-it is a far more complex system. Even not having an antibody doesn't mean your immune system won't recognize that same invader later if you've had the disease. The immune system has a "memory" too.

More info on the thests and immunity
https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/...s-from-covid-19-makes-coronavirus-antibodies/

As far as I know, Quest is using a rapid test, with results available within 15 minutes to the lab technicians.
It wasn't the rapid test. They drew a vile of blood to send to the lab.

Anyone who went to CityMD for an antibody test, they've had to retract mis-information they put out, that having antibodies means one has immunity to getting the Coronavirus again.

Sorry, I always thought it was a money grab for them. 15,000 tests x $55 each = $825,000. The CDC had already put out info that the presence of antibodies doesn't necessarily mean someone can't contract the virus again, or that the antibodies will last a long time, and that they might even mutate, so someone may be infected with the next strain of it, if/when if come back. (Heck! It hasn't even left. :duck: ) Also, some antibody tests that are not blood draws will not show how many antibodies one has and whether there is enough to be used for convalescent plasma donations.

The first day they began the antibody testing, the lines wrapped around the block, according to the local news. Then when the news again said that the CDC said there was possibly no immunity, the lines were a lot less. And days later, as word spread, one could just walk in for a test, no lines, no waiting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/11/cit...ith-coronavirus-antibodies-theyre-immune.html

Eight of the nine of us had COVID -19 starting the last week of February after the guys in our family returned from a week of working in February. We tested positive for the virus. All are well now. We were asked to take the antibodies test. Three adults agreed, including myself. Blood was drawn our regular doctor and sent to Quest. Two of returned negative for antibodies. They lost the third person's sample.
You have it, you don't have, you have it, you don't it, this one doesn't exist. ..... don't care anymore. Whatever.

oh wow, so weird how the results were all over the place! And that one of the tests went missing (do they even give you a refund?)

If you don’t mind sharing, how bad was the virus itself for all of you? I’m glad you’re all ok now!

My whole family took antibody tests over Mother’s Day weekend. We took the kind where you only need a drop of blood and the results are back in 10 minutes. We were all negative, and all bummed about the results!

It wasn't the rapid test. They drew a vile of blood to send to the lab.

Same with us, blood drawn from the vein, not a finger prick. Like yours, two of ours were showing up on the site by the time we got home and registered for an account. I find it very odd.

oh wow, so weird how the results were all over the place! And that one of the tests went missing (do they even give you a refund?)

If you don’t mind sharing, how bad was the virus itself for all of you? I’m glad you’re all ok now!

It didn't cost us anything to have the antibody test because we had tested positive for the virus, so no refund. The third person results finally showed up, a full week after the other two, that were all drawn together, and was also supposedly negative.

As far as the virus:

Two children only had a cough for about a week, not otherwise sick. Youngest child fever and chest cold symptoms, but never acted unwell.

Oldest among us, my husband who is 59 with diabetes, heart disease (heart attack a few years ago,) high blood pressure and high cholesterol AND a tobacco user did NOT get it at all.

Three young adult males 27 - 30 with no health problems only sick for a few days. The one that is overweight had a cough for a few weeks afterward.

Myself, 56 year old female with asthma sick for a couple weeks but needed inhaler daily for two months. I feel like my daily asthma medications saved me to some extent, from getting it worse.

Worst case was my otherwise healthy 34 year old daughter. She is still not back to normal as far as having a cough when she walks or does anything other than sit still. She ran a fever off an on for at least 6 weeks. Her cough was off the charts, she had to use a nebulizer many times a day to breathe properly. She is a trooper and has worked from home during the entire ordeal, never missed a single day of work. I want to believe this is not a permanent condition, as far as her cough, as it's improved.

Her and I were two of the negative antibody test.

What a really want to know is has ANYONE had a positive antibody test? Especially if you tested positive for the virus.

Same with us, blood drawn from the vein, not a finger prick. Like yours, two of ours were showing up on the site by the time we got home and registered for an account. I find it very odd.

It didn't cost us anything to have the antibody test because we had tested positive for the virus, so no refund. The third person results finally showed up, a full week after the other two, that were all drawn together, and was also supposedly negative.

As far as the virus:

Two children only had a cough for about a week, not otherwise sick. Youngest child fever and chest cold symptoms, but never acted unwell.

Oldest among us, my husband who is 59 with diabetes, heart disease (heart attack a few years ago,) high blood pressure and high cholesterol AND a tobacco user did NOT get it at all.

Three young adult males 27 - 30 with no health problems only sick for a few days. The one that is overweight had a cough for a few weeks afterward.

Myself, 56 year old female with asthma sick for a couple weeks but needed inhaler daily for two months. I feel like my daily asthma medications saved me to some extent, from getting it worse.

Worst case was my otherwise healthy 34 year old daughter. She is still not back to normal as far as having a cough when she walks or does anything other than sit still. She ran a fever off an on for at least 6 weeks. Her cough was off the charts, she had to use a nebulizer many times a day to breathe properly. She is a trooper and has worked from home during the entire ordeal, never missed a single day of work. I want to believe this is not a permanent condition, as far as her cough, as it's improved.

Her and I were two of the negative antibody test.

What a really want to know is has ANYONE had a positive antibody test? Especially if you tested positive for the virus.

thanks for sharing your experience, I’m glad you’re all ok, but I’m sorry your daughter has had such a long haul. I hope she recovers her strength. And I hope someone can answer your antibody question

I'm going to call tomorrow. I took it last Thursday (from vein). They said it was the first full week they were doing the tests so they weren't sure how the weekend would impact results. But they said that the negative tests were coming back in 2 days. They said the positive results took longer because they redid the test to verify the results but I think they said that was 3-4 days so I feel like I should have heard by today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter