Has anyone had a CV-19 antibody test?

I'm surprised by all of the negative results. So many people were told they have Covid with no test because they had the symptoms. If you look at the %of positive tests it has never been over about 25% +. So a lot of people that were having symptoms but not tested might not have actually had the virus and it was just another type of Corona ( there are a lot of them including the common cold)

I was interested in having the antibody test because we were all sick end of Jan and were negative for flu and strep. Might wait a bit longer now.

Side not if you have the kind of test that just requires a finger prick I'd go get a titer drawn as those finger prick tests aren't very accurate.

I'm surprised by all of the negative results. So many people were told they have Covid with no test because they had the symptoms.

I'm pretty surprised myself. I can't imagine anyone being told they had COVID-19 without the test. We had nasal swabs that were done all based on the first person on our property testing positive, even though we didn't all have the same, or any, symptoms. Just coincidentally, our regular doctor was the only one in our county that had the tests at the time. Actually, probably still is the only office, although we have a drive-up site now where anyone can get tested, even if they are not sick.

I will when we find out they are more accurate. I’m dying to know.

I was incredibly sick for almost 2 months straight (only got better mid March). I’m not sure if I had pneumonia because I wasn’t checked (I believe I did) but I definitely had bronchitis. Had more doses of steroids and antibiotics (oral and injected) than I care to count. I was at the doctors office or urgent care weekly because I just kept getting worse. Worst cough ever for months. The only reason I would say I didn’t have it is because no other adults in my close family got super sick. During the months I was sick my mom had a fever and a sore throat for a week and my husband felt off a few days. My daughter (4-6 months at the time) however had a horrible cough for about that long as well. Who knows.

I'm surprised by all of the negative results. So many people were told they have Covid with no test because they had the symptoms. If you look at the %of positive tests it has never been over about 25% +. So a lot of people that were having symptoms but not tested might not have actually had the virus and it was just another type of Corona ( there are a lot of them including the common cold)

I was interested in having the antibody test because we were all sick end of Jan and were negative for flu and strep. Might wait a bit longer now.

Side not if you have the kind of test that just requires a finger prick I'd go get a titer drawn as those finger prick tests aren't very accurate.

I don’t get why people are surprised about so much negative results.

Here is one of the most reliable county-wide antibody test study so far that has taken place in America for three reasons: 1. Largest antibody test study sample size, 2. 70% of the population were tested (so extremely low chance of selective bias), 3. they did not use one of those dubious tests from overseas that has been widely criticized.

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/D...y-Test-Statistics-and-Demographics-PDF?bidId=

Results:
- only 0.5% of population was positively infected
- another 1.5% were borderline (no scientific test is binary)
- 59% of the positive test patients were asymptomatic. Not complete apples to apples, but if one were to extrapolate this % with diagnostic tests for a neighboring county, you could say the true prevalence in the wild is about 0.8% to 2.5%.

That is about the same % positive we have seen from the other antibody test study sites.

Last edited:

My family got tested and got mixed results.

I work in NYC and was commuting daily until mid March. I experienced mild symptoms @ 20 March. I assumed it was Covid 19 but didn't get tested because the symptoms weren't that bad and there weren't many tests available at the time. Two weeks ago I got an antibody test from Quest and it came back positive. DW and DD were also tested but their results were negative for the antibodies. They hadn't shown any symptoms but we figured since we were all in close proximity that they would have been exposed so it was a little surprising.

My family got tested and got mixed results.

I work in NYC and was commuting daily until mid March. I experienced mild symptoms @ 20 March. I assumed it was Covid 19 but didn't get tested because the symptoms weren't that bad and there weren't many tests available at the time. Two weeks ago I got an antibody test from Quest and it came back positive. DW and DD were also tested but their results were negative for the antibodies. They hadn't shown any symptoms but we figured since we were all in close proximity that they would have been exposed so it was a little surprising.
I've actually heard several stories of one family member getting it while others don't. Perhaps not so easily spread as they thought.

My husband was tested in March. He is a firefighter. Antibody test came back negative. He and another firefighter at his station on his shift really thought they had it back in Feb, both were sick with a bad cold. A few firefighters tested positive for the antibody test but only one tested positive for the actual test. That firefighter had no symptom. They have not been tested again.

We suspect that may be part of the mixed results and are debating whether we should all get re-tested or not.

Mine was negative. I’m going to wait until they’re a little more reliable before taking another one.

I am having it done this Wednesday. I am a regular blood donor and they offer it for free when you donate blood. I would still give blood either way; just an added bonus. I feel like I may have had it through two possibilities in March....my daughter was quarantined in our home after being in Italy or a visit to Disney right before it shut down. We will see.

Yes both my husband and I got the test. Went to urgent care. Took about 10 minutes altogether

There are so many negative tests because many of them are false negatives. If you have symptoms and tested negative at a community testing site by a nasal swab, assume you were positive. My sister's boss (the head of ID) said the tests used by the NG at community testing sites are coming up with an unacceptable amount of false negatives.

Even though DH and I both were supposedly negative, we acted as if we were positive and acted accordingly.

I just finished a symptom-based quarantine that I had to endure despite a negative Covid test. I really doubt the test results because I don't get sick easily (elementary school teacher with good track record of not picking up most of the flu & strep kids bring into class every winter). I also am not probe to allergies or any other respiratory issue. So why, in May, when no one around me was sick & I hadn't traveled, did I suddenly have a week of a dry cough, fatigue, and a heavy sensation in my lungs, if not for Covid?

In a few weeks I plan to take the antibody test & hope the results are accurate.

Last edited:
I just finished a symptom-based quarantine that I had to endure despite a negative Covid test. I really doubt the test results because I don't get sick easily (elementary school teacher with good track record of not picking up most of the flu & strep kids bring into class every winter). I also am not probe to allergies or any other respiratory issue. So why, in May, when no one around me was sick & I hadn't traveled, did I suddenly have a week of a dry cough, fatigue, and a heavy sensation in my lungs, if not for Covid?

In a few weeks I plan to take the antibody test & hope the results are accurate.
honestly it could be a lot of different viruses. Your immune system hasn't been challenged in a few months so you could have caught anything. For your sake I hope it was Covid though. :)

There are so many negative tests because many of them are false negatives. If you have symptoms and tested negative at a community testing site by a nasal swab, assume you were positive. My sister's boss (the head of ID) said the tests used by the NG at community testing sites are coming up with an unacceptable amount of false negatives.

Even though DH and I both were supposedly negative, we acted as if we were positive and acted accordingly.
What does ID and NG stand for?

Why don’t you think your original results were accurate? Why do you think the antibody results would be more accurate? If you think you had COVID- which tests said you didn’t hopefully you notified any person you possibly could have come in contact with that they could have been exposed and so they could self quarantine!

honestly it could be a lot of different viruses. Your immune system hasn't been challenged in a few months so you could have caught anything. For your sake I hope it was Covid though. :)
I hope so, too. I'm not too optimistic about the antibody test though- it seems that all Covid-related tests are not yet highly accurate, unfortunately. However, if I do test positive for antibodies, I'm going to have my son tested, too. I would much rather us have already had it, then get it next winter when our immune systems might be weakened by fighting off some other common winter illnesses. As an elementary school teacher, I think it's inevitable that I'm going to get it eventually, if I haven't already. Having had it this month when I've been in isolation would mean a lot less chance of getting it later, and therefore less chance of putting any students or coworkers at risk. I also have to take steroids (which weaken the immune system) occasionally, so it would be nice to have already had it, for that to be less of a risk factor. In fact, I was on a low dose of steroids when this started, which has me wondering if that might have been a causal factor for me coming down with either Covid or something that mimics its milder symptoms.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!