Has anyone had bariatric surgery? Did you drink at WDW?

tmonferdini

Mouseketeer
I had gastric bypass surgery 11/28/17 and at my 3 mos. follow-up with my doctor, told him I was going to Disney and asked about a little light drinking. He said I would be fine to have a little, but stay away from the fruity cocktails and margarita-type drinks because all the sugar and fruit juices would make me sick. Guess what kind of drinks I like??? I've never been a big drinker, but last year when we were there, fell in love with some fruity concoction that had a glow cube in it and also the French Martini at Monsieur Paul's.

So I'm wondering if any of you have had surgery and if you drank while at WDW? What was ok? How about a dole whip? Just want a few bites and think I will be ok with just a few. Any suggestions?

I had bariatric surgery in 2015 and have visited DLR and WDW many times since. I don't drink very often but when I do it isn't something that I'll finish. I do like fruitier things and will often share with my husband or a friend. I've tried a few wines and margaritas/mixed drinks. If you go during food and wine festival they often have smaller sized beverages at many of the food kiosks.

If there is something that you're interested in trying resign yourself to knowing that you will not finish it. That the alcohol may/will "hit" you quicker than pre-surgery. You might also consider looking at menus or food/wine guide before arriving to decide what it is that you want to try. I try to go with a plan so that I'm not making impulsive decision.

I had bariatric surgery in 2014 and have been to Disney a few times since. Since my surgery I definitely drink less because I feel it so much quicker so when I'm at Disney I'll usually just have a glass of wine or cocktail with food and that's it. But I won't limit myself to a type of alcohol. If I want a beer or a fruity cocktail I'll have it but I take my time because I don't want to get sick.

I had a dole whip my first trip post-surgery and barely got into it. The really hard thing is the not finishing food that cost quite a bit. I'm used to it now but it was pretty gut wrenching that first trip. If you're with a group, I wouldn't get a dole whip for yourself, just have a spoonful or two from someone else's.

I had the VSG back in October 2013 and our wedding/honeymoon (DCL and WDW) was only 4 months later. I was told by my doctor to avoid drinking for (I think) at least 6 months, but I chose to go for a year (although maybe he said a year and I just don't remember). I didn't drink a lot before this though, so it wasn't a problem. After a year was up I did drink once in a while, and basically only the fruity drink types! I can't stand most regular liquors, especially plain. I don't have a problem with drinking at all now though stomach-wise.

I will say that drinking will take up some stomach space. If you're like me and have to eat every few hours because you fill up so quickly, you'll probably need to eat a little more often since you won't be able to eat as much. I always take a snack with me wherever I go anyways though as I can still have issues with getting hungry very quickly after eating!

Lisa F has a dining review she is posting that discuss her experiences eating and drinking after bariatric surgery on the Dining Review forum. Her reviews are always fun to read, so you might want to check them out.

I do the keto diet which is extremely similar to the things you can have post surgery. I don't drink so that isn't really a concern for me. You can have most liquors, even the flavored ones, with diet, club, or dry red wine. It is very true that your tolerance level can be almost non existent. Combine that with the heat and potential dehydration from sweating and you could be half drink after one drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!