Has DME become more saturated?

PirateFrank

Avast!
For the past decade, I've been a huge advocate of using DME for the past 10 years. However, based on reading both trip reports & posts here and elsewhere -- it appears that DME has become increasingly saturated - with wait times and lines to get on the DME buses at the airport increasing and transportation times from the airport to resort increasing as well. Additionally, there was a period during the holidays, where the tragical express return was a 4 hour process.

So with that being said -- have others had similar observations with DME? Do you feel that DME has declined in convenience? Finally, have you resorted to either renting a car or getting your own transportation to the parks?

Used DME to SSSR on Friday (long weekend for many) and it was fine - just within that 70 minute average from check in at the dme deck to resort arrival and I was the second stop after OKW.

As for the return - we are not going back to the airport from Disney as we are making a side trip this time and flying out of another airport. On our last couple trips when DME was picking up 4 hours prior we used uber or town car as we have TSA pre and don't need that extra time. Jury is out as to if we will go back to using DME for the return in the future.

I will say that on Friday the line to check in at DME was much longer than I have seen recently (Nov & Dec this year) and it appeared that many people didn't have magic bands or the voucher that is mailed. PSA - bring a document and you will get through the line faster and so will everyone behind you :)

I would expect higher saturation during the holidays.

The 4 hour pickup thing is now over. They have gone back to a 3 hour resort pickup. I did it twice and all I did was give them the number of a flight that was scheduled to depart an hour after mine. I did realize that if I ended up missing the flight, I would have no recourse against DME.

I would have to agree that when I have seen long waits it is because there were guests in the line who were not prepared - they didn't have their magic bands, they didn't have their documentation, and/or they misunderstood and were going to the Dolphin or some other non-Disney resort and then when told they couldn't take DME to the Dolphin, they stood their ground and demanded the transportation, taking up time.

Hasn't been enough for me to say I want to rent a car instead. However, I've seen people in the line who were apparently first time users who objected to the fact that they'd have to wait at all. Those who don't wish to have waits at all should be renting a car.

I think that a lot of the "problems" with DME are due to the guests, not Disney. Many guests see the buses and think they run just like any other Disney bus. For DME, this is not true. At the airport, you cannot just walk up and get on the bus. You (being YOU individually named, regardless of your age) need to be named on a reservation at a Disney resort in order to board the bus...and you can only board the bus going to THAT resort. No, you cannot go to the Contemporary because you have an ADR for BOG, even though you are staying at Pop Century. When it's time to go home, you cannot just catch the next bus if you miss the one that was assigned to you...there might not be room on it. I got on a bus at AKL, which happened to be the first of 3 stops, and watched a family of 6 get very upset because the driver told them that they had missed their bus and they could not take this one. The mother was irate because "there's plenty of room...the bus is EMPTY!" The driver had to explain that we were going to two more resorts and each of those resorts had people waiting and by the time we headed to the airport, we would be full. I was glad the driver stood his ground, but he did get on the radio to try and make arrangements to see if there was another bus in the area with room for 6. I believe they were able to accommodate that family, but I'm sure they were upset. Again, it was NOT the fault of DME, but rather the fault of the guest for missing the bus that they were assigned to take in the first place.

Given the number of guests that use DME, I think that it runs about as efficiently as possible. I use it for every trip. I understand how it works and if it doesn't work for me, then I will adjust my plans accordingly.

If anything I think its becoming less popular as more people start using Uber and Lyft.

10 years ago from MCO to my resort I was waiting in a line at DME.
Last couple years I have walked right onto a not very full bus with no wait and was leaving the airport within 5 minutes.

And taking DME back to the airport used to be a big to do. Make sure you're standing right where the bus pulls up because a ton of other impatient families might run you over if you didn't stand your ground.
Now I generally only board with 1-2 other families.

The 4 hour pick up window was introduced due to the new TSA rules of having to take food and electronics out of your carry on backing up the security lines coupled with construction in certain airline terminals.
They changed it back to 3 hours as expected after the holiday rush.

I have used DME for every trip (2-4 trips per year for about 10 years) and to me, it is the same as it has always been. During peak airport hours and peak travel times it takes longer and there are more people and more lines, off times have fewer people and usually there is less of a wait for a bus at the airport.

We use ME to Disney all the time.
Including just before New Years, so super busy, and during quiet times. We've flown in at all times of the day too, early morning, late night.
They have a plan to get the guests from the airport either when the bus is full or after the first guest has been on the bus for 30 min, whichever comes first. This has been our experience every time. Again, no matter what time we land.
It takes between 30 and 40 min to drive to Disney, there may be stops for multiple resorts, depending on where you stay.
So the avg time to your resort is 90 min. This is what our experience has been both 2 weeks ago and 2 years ago.
So I guess I don't know what you are referring to
We do not take ME back to MCO

I have used DME for every trip (2-4 trips per year for about 10 years) and to me, it is the same as it has always been. During peak airport hours and peak travel times it takes longer and there are more people and more lines, off times have fewer people and usually there is less of a wait for a bus at the airport.

I agree. I have done DME 20+ times and it has always been the same. I love it :)

It's probably a perception that's based on what the first ride was like. My first ride the plane landed at 11ish on an august saturday. I was headed to Pop and don't remember being on the bus very long before we left (i might have been one of the last passengers to board). I remember stopping at caribbean beach and then heading over to Pop. (this was also the trip where my luggage BEAT me to my room). Fast forward a few years, land in the middle of the day on some random january monday, wait FOREVER for the bus to POR to leave (at least it felt like that) and then waited an eternity for my luggage to get to the room. Was it really an excessively long wait? Probably not.

Also you will see more threads of "DME took forever" "DME $^&*%" complaints etc rather than "DME is Awesome" or "DME rules." People will write on a message board or to a company when they are upset or have a complaint. If things go well people don't usually write, either on a message board or to a company. So you only tend to see complaints and that skews peoples thinking about that subject.

If anything I think its becoming (snip)

And taking DME back to the airport used to be a big to do. Make sure you're standing right where the bus pulls up because a ton of other impatient families might run you over if you didn't stand your ground.
Now I generally only board with 1-2 other families.

(snip) back to 3 hours as expected after the holiday rush.

Would you mind sharing your secret on creating the situation for yourself at the platform for Magical Express buses back to the airport without the ton of other impatient families raring to run you over?

where the tragical express
Maybe it's time to find alternate transportation, that you don't have to apply a negative nickname to?
return was a 4 hour process.
Four hours was due to airport recommendations. Not Disney randomly sending people home an hour earlier than the previous twelve and a half years, and losing out on whatever money those guests might have spent.

Maybe it's time to find alternate transportation, that you don't have to apply a negative nickname to?

Four hours was due to airport recommendations. Not Disney randomly sending people home an hour earlier than the previous twelve and a half years, and losing out on whatever money those guests might have spent.
We use 'tragical' because it means you're going home! No reference to the service quality!

In any case....I've been using DME since it began. I use it every few months. It doesn't seem to be lessening much. I always see a fair number of people waiting to board the buses to the resorts. The number of people using it to get back to MCO seems to be down a bit.
Yes, more people are using Uber/Lyft. But, I don't think it's a huge number. Maybe going back to MCO, but not upon arrival at MCO.
It seldom takes me more than 70/75 mins to get to my resort. That's from gate to resort, not landing. My best time, using any method, was 45 mins....car service meeting me at baggage claim (but I had only carryon), then right to the resort. With carryon, it's been about 60 mins. Using DME, my times have been between 50 and 90 mins. Most have been around 70ish. So, maybe a 30 mins difference between DME and a different method.

The term 'tragical express' is an *extremely* common term used by Disney fans online, when referring to the DME return from from WDW back to MCO. It denotes a sad trip because you're leaving Disney and not a negative nickname disparaging the DME service. Also, despite the increased TSA screenings this past holiday season, the logistical process of picking up air travelers from multiple resorts within WDW while collecting luggage and passenger credentials - inherently increases the time needed to get from resort to MCO, especially when compared to a direct ride. The 1 additional hour may be on MCO. The original 3 is on Disney.

I think you misinterpreted my original post's intentions as an attack or disparaging post- which was not my intention, considering the tone and defensiveness of your reply. There's really no need for you to 'defend disney' here. It's not an attack but an observation designed to spur some discussion on MCO-WDW travel. Nothing more.

We continue to use DME and will for the foreseeable future. Even though its not the fastest mode and there can be crowds at times, we like arriving at the airport, skipping baggage claim, and heading straight for the DME area. Our vacation begins, in our minds, when we arrive at that area of the airport. Being "free" also is a perk for us because we never rent a car.

On the way back is a different story for us because we will go to Universal sometimes at the end of our stay. But if we are flying home from Disney, we will use DME. The three hour pick-up has worked out about right for us, and gives us time to grab dinner at the airport since our flight is usually at night. We don't mind any waiting or hassles on the way back, as we typically don't do anything time consuming or strenuous on our departure day anyhow.

There is even a meme about it

510299f2402d97c8d971ad0c2493bf20.jpg

url

In November security lines at MCO were so long we almost missed our flight even with DME picking us up 3 hours before our flight, so I understood why they switched it to 4 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter