Hate to be a downer....but....

TaraPA

Can't live without a ticker!!!!
Ok I swore I wouldn't post negative comments in my trip reports - just "observations" - but I must say I was so disappointed in the food this trip. I had been reading on here over the past year or so how people thought the quality of Disney Dining had gone south. "Certainly that can't be true!" I told myself. Wrong! I'd have to say thumbs down to Disney at almost every place we ate this trip. I do understand that it's difficult to serve fantastic meals to crowds as large as the ones in Disney, but everything just seemed blah!

Day 1: We started with Boma for dinner - and that was the highlight of the trip, food-wise. Everything I had was excellent, and there was a huge variety to choose from on the buffet - African and American. I could have been happy eating here several times. The African flank steak was great, as were the roasted vegetables & all of the sides. The desserts were fabulous too - althought I wasn't impressed with the zebra domes - everyone on here raved about them, I guess I was expecting something spectacular. The kids loved Boma as well - they had a lot of traditional kid foods on the buffet as well. Hey anywhere you can go back for umpteen cookies is number one in my kids' book!

Day 2: The Mara for breakfast - typical food court food, pretty blah, the kids wouldn't touch the runny scrambled eggs. DH said waffle was good. Hit Cosmic Rays for lunch - I ordered ribs but not sure what I got - a plate of greast fat or something similiar. That went in the trash so I shared DSs chicken fingers (pretty good all over WDW I must say but afte 7 days of them I never want to eat them again!), applesauce & grapes. I have to add my 2 cents in that the new kid's menus certainly made my crew unhappy. We substitued where available, which was pretty much everywhere except Flame Tree BBQ. Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern was EXCELLENT - we cleaned up 2nd servings of everything. The mashed potatoes were wonderful (if they are instant they are a miracle) and the green beans - to die for - I think they were in a butter/garlic sauce. We tried to get another ADR for LTT for another day but they were booked solid. My only concern about this meal was the server - she was a FABULOUS server - but asked my kids if they wanted to see what she drove. Ok cool, I thought, it must be something colonial, keeping with the character of the restaraunt. Wrong! She pulls out a personal picture of herself in black leather standing by her Harley! I was so out of place & out of character. No Disney magic in that!

Day 3: Breakfast in Mara - again blah. I can see that eating here in the mornings is going to become very redundant.....lunch at Flame Tree BBQ was good. I had DSs kid's chicken wings which I thought were seasoned very well & meaty (he didn't like them). I also had the pulled pork sandwich was was good. Dinner was at America in Epcot - Liberty Inn counter service - pretty typical food court-type food - greasy burgers & chicken fingers. We all agreed to skip that in the future.

Day 4 - Breakfast at Mara (I can't eat here one more day I swear!). Lunch was hot pretzels at a stand outside of Lights Motors Action. Dinner at Sci Fi was fine but nothing great. I had the penne pasta & shrimp and the BLT soup. I did love the soup! DH had a burger & he said it was too greasy.

Day 5: Mara breakfast yet again - there really aren't many different breakfast choices here, so we all switched over from the grill options to bagels & donuts. Lunch at Le Cellier was good but not spectacular like people rave about. Nothing wrong with the food but it was extremely loud in there. It was about nap time & everyone in there seemed to have a screaming baby or toddler. Hey I've been there myself, nothing you can do about that, just an observation. Dinner was picking through Epcot, nothing wonderful to rave about, unfortunately.

Day 6 - Breakfastosaurus - let me just say that this was the worst! We have done this every year & never again! The food was inedible, really. No one ate much. DH said that we said that the last time we were there but I don't recall. Eggs were super runny, quiche was rubbery, potatoes were lumpy & stuck together & very bland. They had some sort of spicy cheese potatoes which were the starchy bland ones with a bad cheese sauce & red peppers in them. The sausage & bacon were slimy & looked underdone, but that could just be a personal preference, we like ours crispy. The fresh fruit bar that the server raved about was pineapple & cantaloupe - that was it! Bagels were tiny & obviously frozen - they were still unthawed in the middle. The cream cheese was bad - literally - I did tell the server about it. It was warm & sour. I don't like to complain about food since everyone has different tastes - others may have loved this buffet - but to risk making someone sick with bad dairy was not ok with me so I had to speak up. (I didn't see anyone test or switch the cream cheese after I told the server about it). The kids ate dry cereal (their milk was warm when it came) - we all left there feeling gross. Even the coffee was weak....lunch, even tho were should have been starving, was just popcorn at MK. DS was feeling sick ever since breakfast so we kept it light. Dinner at The Plaza was good but nothing great. I had the mushroom burger which was very greasy, the bun was soaked off by the 2nd bite. DH had the cheesesteak - and being from near Philly - it left a lot to be desired. I must say though that the banana split was HEAVENLY!

Day 7 - Breakfast at Mara AGAIN - thank God today is the last breakfast I have to eat here! We chose to eat lunch here as well since we were heading out to fly home. The choices for Mara for lunch were far greater than the breakfast menu - there was a lot to choose from - but nothing spectacular. DH had the flatbread pizza which actually looked pretty good, I had the chicken ceasar salad. It was ok. DSs had chicken fingers & fries for the umpteeth time.

I hate to complain, especially about Disney, and like I said everyone has their own taste preferences & dining experiences. But this trip the food was just blah. That's all I can say, other than for Boma & Liberty Tree Tavern, BLAH!

Breakfast at Mara for 5 days? :confused3 You should have tried Boma for breakfast. It's just as good, if not better, than dinner! Breakfastosauras has really gone downhill over the years. It's a shame. It used to be a great Character Breakfast! I'm glad you enjoyed at least a few meals!

Happy Holidays!
-Michelle

A Harley!

That is SO COOL!!!!

I do find a tie-in, weirdly enough, between history buffs and Harley enthusiasts. There's almost always a link!

fabshelly said:
A Harley!

That is SO COOL!!!!

I do find a tie-in, weirdly enough, between history buffs and Harley enthusiasts. There's almost always a link!

Too funny! Then next time you go to LTT make sure you get Patty. She looks so motherly in her colonial dress & bonnet - then she whips out the black leather motorcycle mama pic!

Thanx for the reviews ~ It's a shame you were disappointed.

TaraPA said:
Too funny! Then next time you go to LTT make sure you get Patty. She looks so motherly in her colonial dress & bonnet - then she whips out the black leather motorcycle mama pic!

Awesome, I will.

I'm a (former and hopefully future owner) Harley chick, and I'm obsessed with several periods in history - the White City in Chicago, Tudor England, and the reigns of King Sejong and King Gwanggeto in Korea and Hideyoshi in Japan.

A friend of mine ships her bike to Hollister every year and is wild about the Chosun dynasty.

Thanks for sharing your reviews, sorry some of your meals were not up to par. :sad2:

Uncleromulus said:
I do agree tho that you may have "over-Mara'ed" yourself---
I agree. If I had one bad breakfast there I can't imagine going back for four more. There are so many great places to get breakfast on property. I understand Mara was convenient but why be unhappy on vacation?

I'm always sorry when I hear that someone wasn't happy dining at WDW..we went for our first trip this past summer, ate at about 10 different places and loved every one!The food exceeded our expectations and we can't wait to go back in June for more. I have never heard of Mara..maybe there's a reason for that! :teeth:

I'm sorry you disliked Mara so much for breakfast.. its such a shame because Mara for dinner is one of the best resort CS on property! The chicken tandoori pizza and african stew are wonderful!

Sorry you did not like Donald's, DH and I tried it 2 weeks ago for the first time and loved it! We will be back for sure. The bacon was super crisp, the eggs perfect. The fruit was wonderful and there were a ton of danishes, bagels, etc to choose from.

We tried Mara for lunch once and that was horrible! Never again.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meals. We just returned from our honeymoon and didn't have any bad experiences at the Mara.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter