Have you been to Disney Studios on NYE?

Quadman

Mouseketeer
We are planning on being at Disney MGM Studios for NYE. Dinner at Mamma Melrose at 7:10.... And then just hanging out until midnight.

We'll have our two DD's with us (ages 6 and 8) so we are wondering what goes on during the evening, and just HOW crowded it really is?

I've searched the trip report board and frankly there aren't that many posts regarding NYE.... I dunno, maybe too many sore heads the next day?!??

So, if you've been and you don't mind sharing your experiences, please leave a post.......

I was at MGM on Dec 31, 2000. We had wanted to go to MK that day, but I was working during the day, and by the time we arrived, we were turned away from the parking lot. By the time we got to MGM, they weren't even charging people to park and enter, because they were already pulling barriers over to prevent additional cars from coming in. We were in the last few cars to be permitted in, at around 7pm.

They had concerts going on. I don't recall who they were. One of them was a contemporary band I had heard of and was at least vaguely familiar with. I didn't think I knew them, but as we walked by the Indiana Jones attraction where they were playing, I recognized the song. There was another band set up in front of the Hunchback theater (I miss that show!), facing out on the street, and a huge street party was going on.

It was cold out. Don't think that just because you are in Florida, you're going to have a balmy New Year's Eve. It was mid 40s, and a lot of people weren't dressed for it. I bet they sold a lot of sweatshirts that day!

Lines for all attractions were very long that night, since the park was at capacity.

We watched the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks from Hollywood Boulevard. The fireworks aren't "special" for the holiday. It's just special that they put on Fantasy in the Sky, since they show it so rarely these days now that Fantasmic is on. The best thing about where we were (other than being an advantageous place to exit after midnight) was that we were able to turn around and see the fireworks from Epcot. Epcot puts on an incredible display in addition to IllumiNations (after the regular show), and it was great to get two shows for one.

One more thing... traffic afterward is a major issue. They did an unblievable job of funeling everyone out. But you go the way they want you to (one route only, no doubling back or going anywhere else). We saw lots of people desparately trying to turn and go a different way only to be turned back by CMs who were no doubt trying to deal with three parks emptying out at the exact same time. That night, at least, all cars leaving MGM were sent out past what was obviously a construction site (now Pop Century), and we were quite lost until we followed cars off property and wandered around a bit before finding ourselves at 192. So bring a map. If you are staying on site, I'm not sure you would be able to drive back to wherever you are staying, so you probably ought to use Disney transportation.

Whew, that was long. If you want to know anything else, feel free to PM me.

Long??!?...... Im thinking thanks, that was just the kind of info I was taking about....Thanks Catlady

You know one thing I always wonder when I read one of the rare NYE posts is weather the poster enjoyed the experience of being at WDW for NYE, and if they would do it again.

A follow up question.....are there fireworks at MGM at midnight on NYE? You mention "Fantasy in the Sky" I thought that was the show at MK before Wishes was intorduced?

Anyone else had the pleasure of being there at this time of the year?? How are the crowds in the days follwing? We will be checking out on the 7th......

Thanks again Catlady........

Originally posted by CatLady
I was at MGM on Dec 31, 2000.
They had concerts going on. I don't recall who they were. One of them was a contemporary band I had heard of and was at least vaguely familiar with. I didn't think I knew them, but as we walked by the Indiana Jones attraction where they were playing, I recognized the song. There was another band set up in front of the Hunchback theater (I miss that show!), facing out on the street, and a huge street party was going on.

We were at MGM Dec 31, 2000 also! The band at Indiana Jones was Sister Hazel (the song I bet you recognized was "All for You") and the street band was Vertical Horizon. (Not that I knew who these bands were, our teenagers wanted to see them, but I also recognized "All for You")

You know one thing I always wonder when I read one of the rare NYE posts is weather the poster enjoyed the experience of being at WDW for NYE, and if they would do it again.

Yes, we would do it again! It was a lot of fun.

How are the crowds in the days follwing? We will be checking out on the 7th......

The crowds really thin out the first week of January.

We were at the Studios on December 31, 2002 for NYE. We arrived at 10 am and spent a full, long day at the park but we weren't leaving! We managed to see pretty much everything we wanted to with the use of fastpasses. Around 4 or 5 we collected our hat and noisemakers. After a wonderfully relaxing dinner at Prime Time, we exited to the worst rain I've ever seen and I live in a somewhat rainy area of BC! It poured, non-stop. I refused to leave though, I wanted to spend NYE at Disney and damn it, I was going to! So after putting on sweatshirts and ponchos we schlepped around the park until midnight. Great thing, the rides were empty! We kept riding RRC and ToT over and over again. They played music loudly, from the stage in front of the hat and we enjoyed dancing in the rain. There was a small fireworks show at midnite and then we scrammed! Since there were so few people left in the park we managed to get seats on the bus back to ASM. I would rather spend a rainy NYE at Disney than a dry one at home!

Originally posted by Quadman

Yes, we enjoyed it. I'm not sure I would do it again at MGM. It's a smaller park and seemed very cramped with that many people in it. I spent NYE 2002 at Pleasure Island (in a driving thunderstorm; even with a poncho, I was soaked, and that probably tainted my view of the evening -- would not do that again), 2000 at MGM, and 2003 on an IllumiNations cruise. The cruise wins, hands down. I'm a short person who tends to feel like I'm missing out on things when I'm in a big crowd. I would very much like to spend NYE at MK. Maybe someday...

A follow up question.....are there fireworks at MGM at midnight on NYE? You mention "Fantasy in the Sky" I thought that was the show at MK before Wishes was intorduced?

You're totally right. It's Sorcery in the Sky. You don't see it any more, except for special events like NYE.

Crowds will die down a lot after NYE. Looking at the calendar, NYE falls on a Friday, so it's likely that a lot of folks will head home on Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter