Have you ever tried lentil pasta?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Bought some frozen lentil pasta with cheese sauce tonight, steamed in microwave and it's pretty good!!! Taste and texture of pasta!

If you are a low carb eater, I highly recommend!!

I love it! DH will even eat the cheesy one. He likes it more than I do.

Yes, I've tried both red and green lentil varieties of boxed (dry) pasta. I think the red tastes just like regular pasta. The green, not as much, but I still like it.

The only problem I've found is that the water foams up a bit more, when it's boiling. I have to watch it closely to make sure it doesn't boil over.

Glad to hear about this. Certainly can't be any worse than the seaweed type stuff I used in place of pasta or the expensive attachment I bought for my KitchenAid mixer to make zoodles out of zucchini. Failures!

Yes I eat low carb and eat this whenever I do a pasta dish. I usually get the plain and use my own sauce but have tried the one with marinara. I haven't tried the cheese sauce one yet.

Ok, I never knew I could buy it dry. That's awesome! I've only had the Bird's Eye microwave in the bag zucchini lentil style.

What brand is lower in carbs? Every time I’ve looked at these in the regular store, they have just as many carbs as regular pasta.

Which brand(s) fi you recommend? My dh is diabetic and I like pasta. I also make awesome meatballs that demand pasta to go with them.

What brand is lower in carbs? Every time I’ve looked at these in the regular store, they have just as many carbs as regular pasta.

Which brands have you compared? Barilla vs. Birdseye is no contest. 56 grams of traditional Barilla penne has 200 calories and 42 grams of carbs. The lentil pasta, for a 109 gram serving (twice as much) has 160 calories and only 20 grams carbs, so the lentil pasta has about 25% as many carbs as regular pasta.

Which brand(s) fi you recommend? My dh is diabetic and I like pasta. I also make awesome meatballs that demand pasta to go with them.

I tried the Birds Eye frozen. This was my first lentil pasta experience though, so I have no other brands to compare. It seems to have half of the amount of carbs as regular pasta!

I only tried the dry, and it was a disaster - just didn't cook right at all. I'm not quite sure what I did wrong.

Actually, I haven't really had much luck in general with healthier versions of things. I think I'd rather have the real thing, just less often.

I tried the Birds Eye frozen. This was my first lentil pasta experience though, so I have no other brands to compare. It seems to have half of the amount of carbs as regular pasta!

Pasta was the hardest thing for me to give up when starting to eat low carb. It was also very hard to find a replacement that had low enough carbs to make it worth it to eat over the regular pasta. Finding the Birdseye frozen stuff was a godsend for me.

Sorry to highjack a little - but has anyone tried Banza chickpea pasta? I don't think its technically low carb, but it's definitely lower than regular pasta. I want to like it because its so high in protein but I thought the flavor was a little strong. Wondering if I should try again with a different recipe. I'll have to check out the lentil pasta.

Sorry to highjack a little - but has anyone tried Banza chickpea pasta? I don't think its technically low carb, but it's definitely lower than regular pasta. I want to like it because its so high in protein but I thought the flavor was a little strong.

I agree, I'm not a big fan. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the lentil pasta.

Is the lentil pasta in the frozen section? We try to eat low card and pasta is a challenge as it's so high in carbs. We've tried the weird, slimy, clear stuff which is gross, and making zucchini noodles which is ok. But I need something more pasta like.

Is the lentil pasta in the frozen section? We try to eat low card and pasta is a challenge as it's so high in carbs. We've tried the weird, slimy, clear stuff which is gross, and making zucchini noodles which is ok. But I need something more pasta like.

Yes in the frozen section. It comes in steamable bags. In my store it's with the veggies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter