• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Haven't flown since 2002...

Alex2kMommy

<font color=purple>I'm going a little nutso myself
I keep seeing references to airport/airline/flight annoyances, and it sounds like a lot has changed since I was last on a plane.

1. I expected to have to be at the airport 2 hrs early, but my travel agent said 1 hr was sufficient (talking SeaTac here.) Does that sound right? Last time it took FOREVER to get to the gate with all the security checking; but then again, that was less than a year after 9/11...

2. We'll be towing 2 strollers - Do they still allow you to leave them at the gate? (And pick them up at the destination airport's gate?) We tagged it last time, but didn't have a bag; should they be bagged somehow?

3. Do the airlines not serve ANYTHING on the flight anymore??? I would be bringing snacks for the kids anyway, but I think our flight is over the lunch hour, so maybe I should bring more than that...? I think we're flying with Alaska Air.

4. Any other major changes I should be aware of?

We just flew from Sea Tac this past Sunday and we got through security fast. We was on America West and used the new terminal to fly from.

When we bring our grand kids on the plane we always gate check the stroller and its there to get off with too. we also strap them in car seats (approved by airline of course)

Most airlines dont serve food anymore especially that short of a flight. If your ittnarry doesnt say they defintly dont. We flew 5Pm Sunay and no food served and it was definatly a dinner flight. The good news is the new terminal at Sea Tac has lots of food places and the food was good too. (They even had a play area for kids too.) I dont know which terminal Alaska uses but I think once through security you can get anywhere at that airport.

Deffintly carry a kids cup with lids!! Nothing worse than a spill on your seat or lap. The airline will put "airplane pop" as my grand daughter puts it in the cup for you.

Personally I allow 1 1/2 hours to get through everything and I feel safe for time. (allow 2 hours if you have to park too).

Barbday62, thank-you, ma'am! Would have a spillproof cup for the little one, but a good idea to have one for the 5yo as well, smart thinking! Sounds like we'll need a little extra time to hunt down some food anyway... :)

We allow about 1 1/2 hours. Our last flight was a 6:30 am flight, and the airport is VERY busy that time of the day. We had time to check in, get a bagel breakfast sandwich and use the bathroom before boarding.

You can get cheap plastic sippy cups that come with spouts or straws. They are about $2.50 at target/ walmart for 4 of them. They wash up great in the dishwasher, but are cheap enough that it doesn't matter if they get lost. They are great on the plane! Take snacks- the most you'll get on the plane is a bag of pretzels/snack mix/cookies.

YOu can check your stroller at the gate. You can get a large plastic bag to put it in from the ticket desk. Otherwise, it's likely to get dirty and wet.

Alex2kMommy said:
I keep seeing references to airport/airline/flight annoyances, and it sounds like a lot has changed since I was last on a plane.

1. I expected to have to be at the airport 2 hrs early, but my travel agent said 1 hr was sufficient (talking SeaTac here.) Does that sound right? Last time it took FOREVER to get to the gate with all the security checking; but then again, that was less than a year after 9/11...

2. We'll be towing 2 strollers - Do they still allow you to leave them at the gate? (And pick them up at the destination airport's gate?) We tagged it last time, but didn't have a bag; should they be bagged somehow?

3. Do the airlines not serve ANYTHING on the flight anymore??? I would be bringing snacks for the kids anyway, but I think our flight is over the lunch hour, so maybe I should bring more than that...? I think we're flying with Alaska Air.

4. Any other major changes I should be aware of?

Okay I can answer a couple of the questions....

1. It depends on what time your flight is. If it is early early in the morning then you can get there an 1-1:30 minutes early. But then again if it is a big airline like Alaska then it might take a while to have the stuff go through security.
(Security is not that bad. They will have you slip your shoes off and walk through the thing. If you beep then you go through again and if you beep again they will search you. It is not bad. )

2. I think tagging it would be fine. :D I do not think they changed it since isn't that where they keep the wheelchairs too?

3. Okay when I went Alaska had food. And I know that now there is going to be a charge on the foods so bring money if you want to eat... But if you do not want to get bad gas then bring your own food! Yum!

4. There are not many changes. And seeing that your airport is seatack. I do not think so..

I go to PDX btw.. And so it might be different then Seatack.

Have fun on your trip and I will send pixie dust! pixiedust:

We flew Alaska from PDX last fall to SNA. They only served a little snack bag assortment of chips, if I remember correctly, plus drinks (called "drink service" I think). So definitely bring some food of your own, or money so you can buy something at the airport. We have gotten food to go from airport fast food places and just taken on board with us before with no problem (except it's just more to carry on!) .

We just get a gate-check tag for the stroller before boarding and then fold it up and leave it on the jetway as we board. No problems - but if your strollers have any removable attachments (canopy, cupholders, etc.) you might want to take them off and put them in your luggage so they don't fall off and get lost in transit. I usually take my strollers canopy off and put it in the luggage just to make sure it doesn't get damaged. It's been on several trips and so far, so good.

As far as getting there ahead of time, I think a lot of that depends on what time of day you're traveling. I would give yourself at least 1-1/2 hrs just to be safe. I'd rather have to wait around a bit than get there too late!

hth!

My, how times change! Bringing fast food onto the plane these days? Thank goodness they allow that; it's better than eating 'lunch' at 10:30 before boarding. Thanks for the info, it's been a bit of an eye-opener.

How much time would you allow to get between the Orange County airport and Disneyland?

We arrive on a Sunday afternoon: How long to pick up checked baggage, request the shuttle van (I'm assuming we call someone?) and get to the Disneyland Hotel? Is 1.5 hours too optimistic?

We leave Disneyland on a Sunday morning, again taking the shuttle van to SNA. How much time should we allow before our flight for transportation from the DLH to the airport, get baggage checked, security check, etc.? (We'll be dragging 2 little ones along, so I'd err on the side of extra time!)

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter