Hawaii Tourism Not Starting Up Until Late Summer

Lucky. My test results took about 5 days.
Interesting thought. What about this scenario. Family of 4 just wants to go to Hawaii and hang out at the condo and relax but does not want to pay for them all to be tested. Could 1 person, the one who makes the reservations, rents the car, plans to do all the shopping et all just get tested? The other 3 would be restricted to the condo but not the one who tests negative. This sounds like a hole in their planning.

Interesting thought. What about this scenario. Family of 4 just wants to go to Hawaii and hang out at the condo and relax but does not want to pay for them all to be tested. Could 1 person, the one who makes the reservations, rents the car, plans to do all the shopping et all just get tested? The other 3 would be restricted to the condo but not the one who tests negative. This sounds like a hole in their planning.
Why would anyone in their tight mind fly all the way to Hawaii to sit inside a condo for 14 days - that’s a heck of a lot of money to sit inside 4 walls. Surely you could find a closer beachside apartment within the mainland for less money and without the need to quarantine?

No, it would be much too difficult to enforce that. And no one would travel over an ocean just to stay indoors at their condo all of the time, anyway. They could do that anywhere.

Last edited:

True but it does sound like a way people could skirt the rules. It would be pretty hard to catch folks once 1 member of a party has a reusable room key, rental car etc. Are you going to have to carry your “papers” everywhere you go and present them to get into a grocery store, restaurant etc?

I suspect the vast majority of those going will strive to comply. Per the state website it seems implied to me that you get cleared at the airport as “off the list” and otherwise the default is “on the quarantine list” and all the tracking that comes with it. You don’t need to present info to anyone else outside the airport; they may suspect and report you but are not in position to check or clear you.

A few bigger issues imho are 1) the testing of minors (less available and what age cutoff) and 2) the turnaround time. They need a clear provision for proof of testing accomplished in case results still pending (I.e., quarantine followed by clearance thereafter).

Lastly, 3) will they be so strict on the time of day in the 72 hour window (notice they recently changed it from arrival to “boarding”)? If I get tested with sample collection logged at 8am, technically 78 hours before, in order to increase likelihood of turnaround, will that be rejected? At present it seems, yes.

Last edited:

Why would anyone in their tight mind fly all the way to Hawaii to sit inside a condo for 14 days - that’s a heck of a lot of money to sit inside 4 walls. Surely you could find a closer beachside apartment within the mainland for less money and without the need to quarantine?
Although I would not, but
My girls do allstar cheer. One of the most desirable camp is in PA.. last I heard (Friday) they were asking parents from hot zones to self quarantine for 14 days. Then on arrival kids get a health screening. If symptoms show they will be denied entry..
The camps are 1 week. Very prestigious, cost around 1200 a week. I see to much opportunity for folks not being truthful..

True but it does sound like a way people could skirt the rules. It would be pretty hard to catch folks once 1 member of a party has a reusable room key, rental car etc. Are you going to have to carry your “papers” everywhere you go and present them to get into a grocery store, restaurant etc?
They wouldn't give any of you a reusable key.

The latest language update 7/6/20:

“Beginning Saturday, August 1, Travelers to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) for COVID-19, as approved or authorized for use by the Food and Drug Administration, pursuant to the Emergency Use Authorization (COVID-19 Testing Services) from a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) licensed or certified laboratory prior to arriving at Hawaii’s airports will not be subject to the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine. To be clear, this test result must be confirmed prior to arrival and the passenger must present evidence of this test upon arrival. Individuals will be responsible for the cost of the pre-travel test.”

The latest language update 7/6/20:

“Beginning Saturday, August 1, Travelers to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) for COVID-19, as approved or authorized for use by the Food and Drug Administration, pursuant to the Emergency Use Authorization (COVID-19 Testing Services) from a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) licensed or certified laboratory prior to arriving at Hawaii’s airports will not be subject to the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine. To be clear, this test result must be confirmed prior to arrival and the passenger must present evidence of this test upon arrival. Individuals will be responsible for the cost of the pre-travel test.”
No time frame for testing?

Sorry. That was the next paragraph that I did not paste. They changed formatting of the state website again; this morning says “72 hours before boarding their flight to Hawaii”.

Here’s the latest (pasting):

Pre-Travel Testing Program for Out-of-State Travelers – August 1
  • Beginning August 1, travelers to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 FDA-approved NAATtest (this replaces the previous requirement of polymerase chain reaction or PCR test) from a CLIA-certified laboratory 72 hours prior to boarding their flight to Hawaii will not be subject to the 14-day quarantine. To reiterate, this test result must be done prior to arrival and the traveler must present evidence of this test. Travelers will be responsible for the cost of the pre-travel test.

Daily updates here: https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information.

Been searching online - is anyone able to dumb down for me what the difference between a NAAT and a PCR test is? Is it something that CVS can do? Seems like they are making it more difficult for us to come visit, but again having a hard time understanding.

Been searching online - is anyone able to dumb down for me what the difference between a NAAT and a PCR test is? Is it something that CVS can do? Seems like they are making it more difficult for us to come visit, but again having a hard time understanding.

Would defer to a pathologist/biochemist running the lab but my understanding is they are for all intents and purposes the same, at least for this matter. NAAT as a term is being used more so they may be proactive in that regard. I think all PCRs are a type of NAAT ultimately so it’s more of a generic term.

Would defer to a pathologist/biochemist running the lab but my understanding is they are for all intents and purposes the same, at least for this matter. NAAT as a term is being used more so they may be proactive in that regard. I think all PCRs are a type of NAAT ultimately so it’s more of a generic term.
That's what I was gathering too. Appreciate your response!

Hopefully the PCR test qualifies as this is what I see on the CVS website:

MinuteClinic performs a PCR test, which tests for active infections only. We do not administer antibody tests, which indicate whether the patient has been infected in the past.

Hopefully the PCR test qualifies as this is what I see on the CVS website:

MinuteClinic performs a PCR test, which tests for active infections only. We do not administer antibody tests, which indicate whether the patient has been infected in the past.

I believe it should. Check your area for the CVS minute clinic turnaround time.Where I live it’s at 5-7 days currently. Also they will not test minors in case that’s an issue.

Anyone else know about limitations for getting minors tested? I can't seem to find much info on testing in Colorado.

State of Hawaii wrote back to an email query that they are still deciding on age and will post updates closer to Aug 1. In our area, the local hospital and the pediatric clinic do offer testing for minors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter