He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

Giiiiiirrrrlllll even though y'all were tired that sounds like it was a great evening! Boat rides and captain cooks and trader Sam's... some of my favorite things! What a lovely view of the gf (my home DVC resort) :love:

I love your view from your studio though! We need to try CCV. We did Boulder Ridge and loved it, even though it was just one night.

happy. Steve also brought this back, which was the first of...............I believe 4 I consumed during the trip:

AWWWH YEAAHHHH!!! :banana:

If you've never had or seen one of these beauties, this is the Magic Bar. As far as I'm aware it can only be found at the Wilderness Lodge.
Or in my kitchen! I made a pretty good knockoff for Easter. If you look up that disney magic cookie bar knockoff recipe, it's really fairly close to the taste of the real thing!

CAPT. COOK'S
I am editing this to add my apologies for all the different pictures sizes, I know it's probably annoying. However given my very limited technical skills, it will continue. Thanks!
I left off with us taking the boat over to our first park, HS. We used our FP's for TSM, TOT, and were able to ride ST for the first time (in forever :P but really ever) without using our FP since the SB wait was so short; if you haven't read my TR I'll just say I won't be riding ST again. We watched the SW stage show and that was pretty much it before we crashed. Remember we'd been up since the wee hours of the morning! So around 5ish we were on a bus back to WL to check in to our CCV studio.
I'll save my plethora of pictures for my TR but 1. we absolutely loved our studio and 2. here are a couple of our view:

View attachment 317570

View attachment 317571

We could see the geyser blow from our room, too!

Now that we were settled in, we needed FOOD! For a minute we debated eating at Geyser Point but I had something else in mind since it wasn't even 6:00 yet. I'd had something for the first time back in November over at Tambu Lounge at the Poly and I really wanted it again, so why not hit it right away?
Steve, Ricky and I headed over while Chris took up his rightful place on the pull out sofa. And yes, by pull out sofa I mean he opened the couch and got under the covers. The 3 of us took the awesome boat ride over to the Contemporary and then got on the monorail to the Poly. I would have loved to return to Tambu Lounge but since Ricky was with us and the menu there isn't that big, we instead went to Capt. Cook's for our food. What was it I was dying to have again?

Pulled Pork Nachos
topped with Onions, Cheese, Spicy Mayo, Tomatoes, and Pineapple Salsa

View attachment 317573

OMG just looking at the picture makes me think I need to somehow fit these in on our quickie trip in 2.5 weeks :cloud9: Before I had these in Nov. I wasn't sure I'd love them because pulled pork isn't a favorite of mine, but every other ingredient IS so I had to give them a try. STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE MY FRIENDS! These wouldn't be the same without the pulled pork but in addition to that, the chips themselves are fantastic! They're light and fluffy, if you can use the word fluffy to describe chips. The cheese is liquid cheesy perfection but in an upscale way and the pineapple salsa gives these nachos the sweetness that keeps me coming back for more. I am in no way ashamed to say I cleaned my plate, which should make up for my sharing the No Way Jose earlier in the day.........

Ricky got the

Big Kahuna Sandwich
Turkey, Ham, Salami, Roast Beef, Swiss, Lettuce, and Tomato on Focaccia with Red Pepper Spread, served with choice of French Fries, House-made Chips, Asian Slaw or Steamed Vegetables

View attachment 317574

With french fries of course. He really liked this, I was thinking he may not like the red pepper spread but he did. Makes it a tad different than your regular, every day Big Kahunah :P The fries were your basic Disney fries but my kids don't knock them!

Steve ordered the

Pan Asian Noodles and Vegetables with Shrimp

View attachment 317575

He thought this was just a tad salty but otherwise good.

For our drinks we ordered from Trader Sams which you can do when sitting outside Capt. Cooks.

View attachment 317576

Steve got a Moscow Mule, the drink he fell in love with in Disney, but they didn't have copper mugs. He obviously prefers when he gets it in the mug but will accept it sans one. I got the

Castaway Crush:
Leblon Cachaca, Cream of Coconut, pineapple, cinnamon, and fresh lime juice

I didn't love mine, kind of wished I'd picked something else but I was also losing steam quickly and ordered in a little bit of a rush. I managed to finish it though, no problem there. It was so nice sitting out there, enjoying our food with Ricky. We had this as our view straight ahead:

View attachment 317577

The weather was gorgeous and we just people-watched for a bit. However when Chris started texting saying he was hungry we realized we needed to go back, so once again used the monorail-boat route to return to the WL.

Oh! While looking at the Trader Sam's drink menu Steve ordered dumplings. I forgot to take a picture so here's one from good ol' google:

Pan-Fried Dumplings -
with soy-sesame dipping sauce

View attachment 317710

I don't remember getting a pepper or whatever that is in our sauce but both the dumplings and sauce were good; I had one bite while Ricky and Steve split them.

Once we got back to the resort, Steve took Chris down to Roaring Fork to get dinner. He came back with this:

View attachment 317712

Yup his second burger of the day, but this one had bacon! He declared this JUST AS GOOD as the Beaches and Cream burger so he was happy. Steve also brought this back, which was the first of...............I believe 4 I consumed during the trip:

View attachment 317766
Obviously not my picture, for some reason I can't find mine. I know there's one on Steve's phone but he isn't home so for now, this one has to do

If you've never had or seen one of these beauties, this is the Magic Bar. As far as I'm aware it can only be found at the Wilderness Lodge. It's a combination of blondie brownie, chocolate chip cookie, coconut, little m&m type bits, something akin to butterscotch pieces maybe? And what I believe may be small chopped up pieces of walnuts although I can't be sure. Possibly more ingredients, not sure about that either and I don't care. Whatever it all is they put in here is heaven, and although I was full I had to have a few bites. While I tell clients things like the number of bus stops a resort has shouldn't be your deciding factor in choosing a resort, I would absolutely tell someone that the location of Magic Bars most definitely SHOULD be a deciding factor in choosing your resort :thumbsup2

And that concludes our first day of eats! There's plenty more yumminess ahead, so stay tuned...........................

Magic bar s also available at Port Orleans Riverside in food court.

Pulled Pork Nachos
topped with Onions, Cheese, Spicy Mayo, Tomatoes, and Pineapple Salsa

img_8211-jpg.317573

Before I had these in Nov. I wasn't sure I'd love them because pulled pork isn't a favorite of mine, but every other ingredient IS so I had to give them a try. STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE MY FRIENDS!
Okay, so I was going to immediately determine "no" for these because, like you, I am not a fan of pulled pork. But maybe I should step outside my comfort zone because nachos are life. I already have decided I need to step outside it to try the Tonga Toast, so what the heck?

We had this as our view straight ahead:

img_8214-jpg.317577
Very nice!

Pan-Fried Dumplings -
with soy-sesame dipping sauce

pan-fried-dumplings-jpg.317710
Yum!

It's a combination of blondie brownie, chocolate chip cookie, coconut, little m&m type bits, something akin to butterscotch pieces maybe? And what I believe may be small chopped up pieces of walnuts although I can't be sure.[/QUOTEGet ride of the coconut and I would be all over these things.

:welcome: thanks for joining!

Where are you the first half? Just being nosy lol. We're currently at BLT for our Aug. trip but a bunch of resorts have become available with my discount so now Steve is bringing up a split stay, and one option is a few nights at BC. We've stayed at all 3 Epcot resorts and love being in the area!

Old Key West for 5 nights, then BC for 5 more---planning on trying Olivia's there for lunch or dinner---if little man is cooperating. Our older one loves to eat (he is 9), and I would love for him to try something new other than his standard chicken fingers--HAHA.

Totally get not scheduling a daily sit-down with a 22 month old! But i'll bet once you're there if you try for something once or twice day of or night before you'll find some good openings, we usually do! Good luck doing B&C, there's always the takeout window for ice cream at least :goodvibes

So far I only have our usual favorites booked--Via Napoli, Chef Mickey (we always do dinner the first night since my older one was 5 and we started going to Disney), Kona breakfast, trying BOG dinner for the first time (when they switch it will not appeal to us at all), and we will likely do Yak & Yeti (but I dont have a reservation-Landry's member---my older one also mentioned TRex--which I hate, but he loves--so we may use the Landry's card for that too!)

I adore those pulled pork nachos at Capt Cooks I cannot wait to have them in Sept. your drink looks amazing tho what about it didnt you love?

These look so good. I am so mad I didn't order these when we were there that first day! I totally flaked on it!

For our drinks we ordered from Trader Sams which you can do when sitting outside Capt. Cooks.

img_8213-jpg.317576
YEAH!!!! Vacation has started!

Steve got a Moscow Mule, the drink he fell in love with in Disney, but they didn't have copper mugs. He obviously prefers when he gets it in the mug but will accept it sans one. I got the
I kind of feel like the copper cup adds to the taste a little....

pan-fried-dumplings-jpg.317710

I don't remember getting a pepper or whatever that is in our sauce but both the dumplings and sauce were good; I had one bite while Ricky and Steve split them.
We had these as well. They are decent dumplings. But I love the dish they serve them in.

Steve also brought this back, which was the first of...............I believe 4 I consumed during the trip:

magic-bar-jpg.317766
How coconut-ty are they? We are not a family of coconut lovers. BUT like you say, maybe we should come out of our comfort zone...

I would absolutely tell someone that the location of Magic Bars most definitely SHOULD be a deciding factor in choosing your resort :thumbsup2
Gwen would argue you should choose WL because of the bacon donuts!

Okay, so I was going to immediately determine "no" for these because, like you, I am not a fan of pulled pork. But maybe I should step outside my comfort zone because nachos are life. I already have decided I need to step outside it to try the Tonga Toast, so what the heck?
@ArielSRL - What do you have against the Tonga Toast? Or I guess which element?

We just ate supper but you've made me hungry again. I've got to try the nachos.

If you've never had or seen one of these beauties, this is the Magic Bar. As far as I'm aware it can only be found at the Wilderness Lodge. It's a combination of blondie brownie, chocolate chip cookie, coconut, little m&m type bits, something akin to butterscotch pieces may

Oh my! This also just made my list. I showed it to Clint and he said he's sticking with his No Way Jose. I suggested we have both :laughing:

Those nachos look so good have to try those for sure. They always have good food at Captain Cooks.
Love sitting outside with a drink and people watching :D but your view was even better with the GF

I will fully admit, I've been afraid to click on your last TR since you put in the title you had these new links... I'm so behind on the boards! But I'm here now and will need to get caught up... but probably not tonight because we're seeing Aladdin at the theatre!! :genie:

Great shot of the view from CC's patio, that and the nachos makes me very excited for our August Poly trip!!!
so once again used the monorail-boat route to return to the WL.
Since we would like to eat at WL (because I too need a magic bar!) on a non-park day, aproximately how long did this trip take?

I’ve never had a Magic Cookie Bar. I planned to try one but never seemed hungry enough for one. They are legendary at the WL and it is on my to do list. :)
With all the time you've spent at WL you should have had one by now ;) The good thing is, they last. So you can get one, have a few bites, and it'll be fine the next day to snack on!

I love those nachos, I agree the pork is so good on them!
Yes those nachos at the poly are delicious!!
Whoo my nachos are getting some looooooooove :love:

I need to get me some of those nachos, cause you know how I feel about nachos...
I DO know! You better get them before they're gone like those beauties at Jock Lindsay's. Really though bite my tongue, these better never be gone!

Giiiiiirrrrlllll even though y'all were tired that sounds like it was a great evening! Boat rides and captain cooks and trader Sam's... some of my favorite things! What a lovely view of the gf (my home DVC resort) :love:
It was probably one of our best-first days, I'm sure Chris would agree since he got to rest as part of it :laughing:

I love your view from your studio though! We need to try CCV.
You should! Honestly I wasn't in a rush to try CCV, but when it came up available with my discount I was just happy to be at the lodge. And besides hitting the jackpot with the alternate studio, CCV has the benefit of being "newer" over the other side of the lodge, although I'd still stay there in a heartbeat.

Or in my kitchen! I made a pretty good knockoff for Easter. If you look up that disney magic cookie bar knockoff recipe, it's really fairly close to the taste of the real thing!
WHAT???? Now I need to go visit my sister in Alpharetta just so I can come over and you can make me a Magic Bar! Because while Steve does all the cooking here he's not a baker, and my baking skills don't go much beyond pre-made cookies, Oreo balls that don't require using heat, and the occasional sugar cookie shaped like Mickey :earsboy:

Magic bar s also available at Port Orleans Riverside in food court.
Wow good to know! I've never heard of them being there but at least now I know if it's ever easier for me to get there, I have a dessert waiting for me :goodvibes

You should! Worse case scenario you simply move the pork to the side and eat the rest of the good stuff. I assumed that's what I'd do if I didn't like it but it's great! And it's pretty much the only time and place I'll eat pulled pork!
Tonga Toast is something that sounds in it's entirety like something I'd love, but I didn't think it was that great :duck:Of course thousands will disagree lol

Yummmm. Those nachos look like a QS work of art!
The Mona Lisa of Food :laughing: Maybe N can paint some Poly pulled pork nachos at his next show :scratchin

So far I only have our usual favorites booked--Via Napoli,
Love it, I'll have a review from our lunch coming up soon :thumbsup2

trying BOG dinner for the first time (when they switch it will not appeal to us at all)
This has been one of our favorite TS's since they opened, we were lucky enough to go the first week they opened and have been for dinner 7x. All were great except the last time, in Aug., which was just ok. I do actually have it booked for this Aug. with the new menu but I get that it's turning lots of people off. I hope you enjoy your dinner!

Yak & Yeti
Love this too!

Really nice view! I loved staying at the Wilderness Lodge, I can't wait to go back there again one day.
I'm kind of sad we're not staying there on our next two trips :(

This looks delicious! I'll be staying at the Poly for the first time in November so I think we might need to stop by here for a bite to eat.
Um yeah, and I just noticed from your ticker that YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED????? Congratulations!!!! pixiedust: party: pixiedust: Obviously I've dropped the ball when it comes to following your dining report or I'd know this, so I have to go back and read! So happy for you!!!

your drink looks amazing tho what about it didnt you love?
It wasn't bad by any means, just not something I loved so it didn't go down super fast lol. It was the cinnamon I think, and possibly the lemon whatever; the one ingredient I'm not familiar with. The drink was a bit heavy. Like I said I ordered kind of fast and without thinking because I was hungry and tired and nothing on the menu was standing out, so it's not something I'd get again but not something I hated :)

:love: It's too bad I'm going to have to break the news to my DH that I'm leaving him for these nachos.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:rotfl2: I would be the first to tell him I completely understand ::yes::

Gorgeous! Which room did you have, so I know where to try and request for December!
Room 5115 :thumbsup2 I hope you get that or at least another alternate studio!

These look so good. I am so mad I didn't order these when we were there that first day! I totally flaked on it!
I was determined not to miss them which is why I figured let's do it right away! Not I need to fit them in next month lol

I kind of feel like the copper cup adds to the taste a little....
I don't like mules but Steve says the copper mug definitely does make it taste better.

How coconut-ty are they? We are not a family of coconut lovers. BUT like you say, maybe we should come out of our comfort zone...
Well, I have to say I think they're a tad heavy on the coconut. I mean, you can taste it in most bites. BUT, you can also taste everything else too, so I'd give it a try. Maybe buy 1 to share and see what you think! And if nobody likes it, go back for a different snack :D

Gwen would argue you should choose WL because of the bacon donuts!
I almost tried one, they look SO good. But I needed my Magic Bar lol

We just ate supper but you've made me hungry again. I've got to try the nachos.
Every time I see the picture I need them, regardless of how full I am!

Subbing in. :)
:cheer2:

Love sitting outside with a drink and people watching :D but your view was even better with the GF
It was very nice, pretty, and relaxing. But I still think I prefer relaxing outside at Geyser Point with a drink, so far nothing beats that!

I will fully admit, I've been afraid to click on your last TR since you put in the title you had these new links... I'm so behind on the boards! But I'm here now and will need to get caught up... but probably not tonight because we're seeing Aladdin at the theatre!! :genie:
OMG please, I've been horrible at keeping up on everyone's reports, especially yours :o I was reading along but not commenting, and then I fell off.............so I'm just happy you stopped by :hug:
Aladdin, yay! I hope you're loving it! I want to see it on Broadway so bad but we just haven't gotten there yet.

Great shot of the view from CC's patio, that and the nachos makes me very excited for our August Poly trip!!!
Whoo for the Poly :cheer2: That was our first time sitting out there and it was very nice. What are your Aug. dates? Right now we're going the 18-25th :goodvibes

Since we would like to eat at WL (because I too need a magic bar!) on a non-park day, aproximately how long did this trip take?
Hmm, not including waiting for a monorail/boat, it's about 30 minutes? So then it depends how long you wait. We lucked out and didn't wait long either time and we find there's not usually a wait for a boat between MK and WL, although every once in awhile we may wait 15 minutes. So at the most probably an hour total travel time :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!