He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

I need to get back to Nomad Lounge to try some more of the food. We've only had the charcuterie platter there thus far. Everything you had looked great, I'll have one of each please. :crazy:

I got that card at FOP too when I used my FP and I guess I assumed it was to communicate the restrictions, but now that you mention it, I bet it is to try to prevent people hopping into the FP line.

Oohh, the Malva Cake Sundae sounds really good. I'll have to keep that in mind for our next trip. You can't go wrong with a Mickey pretzel. I think the shape makes them taste better!!

Nomads Louge looks great and so does the desserts at Tamu Tamu
Mickey Pretzels and Mickey bars are a staple for every trip

FLOWER AND GARDEN GOODNESS

After our split AK/MK day and dealing with the rash and knee pain, we were looking forward to starting fresh yet unsure what it would bring - but we knew it would bring more food!

We were trying for early AK since our first FP was at 8:20 for FOP. This was our 2nd FOP FP of the 3 I'd booked at Ricky's request. We did manage to arrive at 8:25, hoping to ride the safari before FOP since we missed it the day before, but the wait was still kind of long so we went right to our FP. We did eventually ride the safari with a wait, but I felt good that Ricky got to ride it. We also grabbed Starbucks at some point but I don't have pictures; you all know what pretty much everything at SB looks like by now, anyway.

After our FP's the plan was to move over to Epcot for some more Flower and Garden booths since we really hadn't done any yet this trip. Chris was up for it; his rash was faint at this point so he was good. Ricky unfortunately was in some pain, so he opted to go back to the room and rest. I felt so bad, but he preferred to be ok for later that night.

We took the NOT express transportation from AK to Epcot, and went directly to WS for this:
IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG

Raising him right! Coincidentally I got the title for this report while we were waiting for the Epcot bus; thank goodness because I'm not creative and need serious help coming up with those things. While we were waiting I asked Chris what he wanted to do in Epcot and if he wanted me to make any FP's. He said all he wanted to do was eat, because "I'm only here for the food, mom!" Anyway much like Starbucks, if you've read any of my dining reports that included F&G trips you know that Steve, and now Chris, think this shrimp is the best thing in the world, hands down. The more sauce, the better.

I don't like shrimp so I went right to the Pineapple Promenade and got this:
Florida Orange Groves Winery Sparkling Pineapple Wine, St. Petersburg, FL

IMG_8455.JPG

I loved this but remember, I love sweet drinks. It reminded me a bit of a pineapple cider but a little LESS sweet; let's say I drank it quick.

Just a hop, skip and a jump to the right of his shrimp at the Jardin de Fiestas booth, Steve picked this up:

Pork Taco: Slow-braised Pork Taco served with Apple Relish, Goat Cheese and Chile de Árbol Sauce

IMG_8457.JPG

He thought it was pretty good; nothing special, not as special as it sounded. He didn't really taste any apple relish but he did say it had a kick.

I was now on a mission for something solid for myself, since my Starbucks sandwich was wearing off. I wanted to revisit a favorite from last year so we headed toward Germany and got in line here:

IMG_8458.JPG

For this:

Potato Pancake with Caramelized Ham, Onions and Herb Sour Cream –

IMG_8459.JPG

OMG this is delicious. You can also get it with apple sauce but I needed the herb sour cream and onions! I could have done without the ham, it was ok and I ate a couple pieces, but the sour cream and onions were really what made this. The pancake itself had nice flavor, was cooked perfectly on the inside and out.

Along the way I was texting Ricky to see how he was doing. Once he got back to the resort he filled up the ice bucket and iced his knee - and then went to the gym :sad2: Whatever, he was feeling a bit better and said in awhile he may come meet us. I made a FP for the Pixar shorts because it was between that and Nemo, and my boy chose the shorts. Tough choice lol.
Continuing our walk around WS, Chris's rash was starting to get worse. It was warm, pretty darn warm. We were trying to stay in the shade but it's hard in WS, especially when your parents insist on stopping in Morocco to watch the band.......................he did agree to stay until after our Pixar FP though, and we said we'd go back after that or at least one of us would go back with him if Ricky wanted to stay.

When we got to the Smokehouse Steve was ready for a beverage, and chose the very common

Shipyard Maple Bacon Stout, Clearwater, FL

IMG_8461.JPG

I love bacon and I love maple, but this sounded extremely gross to me. Steve liked it! He'd tried some type of coffee stout at the F&W festival last year when we were hanging with @kastoney and her DH and that was pretty vile he said, but this one was good. Whatevs, I'll take my ciders.

It was getting to close to our FP time and time to meet Ricky, but Steve had one more dish he needed to try and Chris was wanting something also. We stopped at Florida Fresh:

IMG_8467.JPG

Where Steve got the

Spicy Blackened Shrimp and Stone-ground Cheddar Cheese Grits with Brown Gravy and Local Sweet Corn Relish

IMG_8468.JPG

And Chris had to try the
Watermelon Cucumber Slushy (Non-alcoholic)
He did ask if he could get the one with Gin, nobody would know as he walked around, but being responsible parents we said no :thumbsup2

IMG_8469.JPG

Steve loved this shrimp ALMOST-almost-as much as the shrimp skewers from La Isla Fresca. He never really eats corn but thought the corn relish was out of this world. Chris on the other hand thought the watermelon cucumber slushy tasted fully like cucumber, and gin would have made it 100% better.

We seriously needed to get over to FW to meet Ricky, but I wasn't sure we'd be back again and I couldn't leave without trying one more dessert. I'm at my picture limit so stay tuned for Flower and Garden Goodness continued!

CONTINUED FROM LAST POST

There was still one booth I needed to get to before we moved out of WS. It was one of my favorite booths from last year but unfortunately they'd changed two of the offerings. I was sad about that, but still wanted to try one of the new ones and say hello to a returning friend.

IMG_8470.JPG
The Tarte a la Tomate Provencale was replacing an onion tart I loved last year and got twice; I wasn't interested in this new version. The Macaron au Chocolat en Sucette was replacing the glorious Raspberry Macaroon, which was absolutely and unquestionably the best dessert I've ever had at any WDW festival. You all know I love chocolate so it's not like I wasn't happy to see it on the menu, but honestly I wanted my raspberry macaroon not on a stick back. Luckily they didn't touch our La Vie en Rose, amiright ladies????

IMG_8471.JPG

Steve chose yellow and got our non-festival love, the Grey Goose slush. I loved the La Vie en Rose as always. The chocolate macaroon was good; it was coldish on the inside which was nice on a hot day. But, it couldn't hold a candle to it's previous competitor :sad:
Ah well, I was happy with all I tried and the 3 of us were happily full, so we went to meet Ricky by SE. Passing the U.K on the way I tried, unsuccessfully, to get a decent picture of this years; Peter Pan/Hook topiary since they'd changed it up:

IMG_8472.JPG

All in all on both trips I took about 9 pictures of this, and none came out good.

Ricky was having pretty bad bus luck and was going on like, 30 minutes waiting for the Epcot bus, so we used the restroom and chilled until he came. We used our Pixar FP (TOTALLY needed as you would expect) and then realized Ricky hadn't eaten since Starbucks! He wanted to go back to some MEAT he'd had before our Via Napoli lunch the other day, so once again we moseyed over to WS.
This was from Steve's beloved La Isla Fresca booth, but he did not succumb to the siren song of the shrimp. The only thing we ordered was for Ricky-
Jamaican-braised Beef with Pigeon Pea Rice and Micro Cilantro

IMG_8474.JPG

As I said he'd gotten this about 2 days prior and for someone who doesn't like heat/spice, he loved this! I didn't try it but Steve said it did have some heat in both the heat and rice; go figure.

Once he ate we all succumbed to Chris's rash and Ricky's knee, even though he'd only been with us about an hour. We'd had a good day so far and it was only about 3, but I felt so horrible for them. Ricky hates sitting around and like me is bored when we're not doing anything in Disney, but we couldn't ignore that he needed to be still. And Chris's rash was..............RED. BUMPY. HOT. As much as he complains and annoys us he had good reason to today, so we all hopped the bus back to WL to chill.

Once there the kids rested while Steve and ! walked the resort grounds a bit. We got some drinks at Geyser Point

IMG_8484.JPG

AFTER totally revamping our evening and dinner plans. I often mention we're changing plans but this was a fairly big overhaul, so next up will be a wordy explanation and some rootin' tootin' napking twirlin' fun!

This looks delicious! I'm serving these at my cocktail hour at the wedding. I love peanut sauce it goes so well with the chicken.
Cool! The actual ones from Nomad Lounge?

I need to get back to Nomad Lounge to try some more of the food. We've only had the charcuterie platter there thus far. Everything you had looked great, I'll have one of each please. :crazy:
Yes you do, it's where all the cool kids hang out :cool1: And speaking of kids every time I go there are tons of them there, so really it's very kid-friendly!

You can't go wrong with a Mickey pretzel. I think the shape makes them taste better!!
Anything Mickey shaped tastes better! If I don't have a Mickey pretzel on a trip I'm always bummed when I leave lol

Mickey Pretzels and Mickey bars are a staple for every trip
If only every food could be formed into a Mickey shape, toddlers would most likely eat much healther :laughing:

The potato pancakes looked really good
I hope they bring back the raspberry macaroon
I just love your view from Geyser Point I would be there every evening with a :drinking1

Florida Orange Groves Winery Sparkling Pineapple Wine, St. Petersburg, FL

img_8455-jpg.335625

I loved this but remember, I love sweet drinks. It reminded me a bit of a pineapple cider but a little LESS sweet; let's say I drank it quick.

If I ever make it to flower and garden, I'll have to add this to my list! I feel like we have similar tastes in sweet drinks!

Potato Pancake with Caramelized Ham, Onions and Herb Sour Cream –

img_8459-jpg.335628

OMG this is delicious. You can also get it with apple sauce but I needed the herb sour cream and onions! I could have done without the ham, it was ok and I ate a couple pieces, but the sour cream and onions were really what made this. The pancake itself had nice flavor, was cooked perfectly on the inside and out.

This sounds really good (minus the onions)

He did ask if he could get the one with Gin, nobody would know as he walked around, but being responsible parents we said no :thumbsup2

img_8469-jpg.335671

This also sounds really good (even if it did taste overwhelmingly like cucumber - that's a taste I enjoy!)

Love all your WS eats! That shrimp sure looks yummy! And, your drinks at Geyser Point bring up wonderful memories...:love:I told Joe we need to go back in October before our Narcoosees reservation. He was ALL in!!!!:yay:

You know that I’m with you on the pink slushy drink being a “do not miss” for every F&G event. :)

I also like the shrimp and grits at Florida Fresh. :)

Poor Chris and Ricky. They must have been disappointed that they couldn’t have a pain free trip.

Last edited:
we were looking forward to starting fresh yet unsure what it would bring - but we knew it would bring more food!

:rotfl: Naturally!

and went directly to WS for this:
img_8451-jpg.335623

But, of course! :laughing: Yummm.

While we were waiting I asked Chris what he wanted to do in Epcot and if he wanted me to make any FP's. He said all he wanted to do was eat, because "I'm only here for the food, mom!"

Love this kid! And he's definitely got his priorities straight here.

And Chris had to try the

Jeez, you guys are such a buzzkill! :laughing:

The chocolate macaroon was good; it was coldish on the inside which was nice on a hot day. But, it couldn't hold a candle to it's previous competitor :sad:

I liked it, too, but I wish I'd tried the previous one to be able to compare it. I thought the chocolate one was good, but it was a bit too rich...and that's saying something since I have a serious sweet tooth, especially with chocolate! I liked that it was cool, too. The CM at the booth told me they keep them refrigerated so the filling doesn't melt.

I'm going to forever refer to these as Steve Shrimp!

Raising him right! Coincidentally I got the title for this report while we were waiting for the Epcot bus; thank goodness because I'm not creative and need serious help coming up with those things. While we were waiting I asked Chris what he wanted to do in Epcot and if he wanted me to make any FP's. He said all he wanted to do was eat, because "I'm only here for the food, mom!
You sure are raising him right! And aren't we all there only for the food :-)

img_8459-jpg.335628

Yum this looks and sounds delicious!!!!! Its been 2 years since we've been to F&G but think we'll end up doing it next year because Jason wants to do the Star Wars half marathon again.

img_8461-jpg.335629

I love bacon and I love maple, but this sounded extremely gross to me. Steve liked it! He'd tried some type of coffee stout at the F&W festival last year when we were hanging with @kastoney and her DH and that was pretty vile he said, but this one was good. Whatevs, I'll take my ciders.
I'm totally with ya. I love bacon and maple too, but I do not want them in my beer. I remember that nasty coffee beer from F&W, no thank you. Jason's taking to brewing his own beer lately but thankfully has been sticking to just normal beer flavors. Though I think he likes making them just so we can name them :-)

img_8469-jpg.335671
Love the way Chris thinks. And as a gin lover I'd totally be all over the grown-up version of this.

e used our Pixar FP (TOTALLY needed as you would expect)
Thank goodness. I was really worried you wouldn't be able to make it into the theater otherwise.

AFTER totally revamping our evening and dinner plans. I often mention we're changing plans but this was a fairly big overhaul, so next up will be a wordy explanation and some rootin' tootin' napking twirlin' fun!
I think I know what's coming.....

Finally my phone is cooperating to multi quote! Woo hoo!
He said all he wanted to do was eat, because "I'm only here for the food, mom!"
:rotfl2: You have raised him well. I feel like this is the constant conversation in my house...
me: "what is everyone's must-do? What fastpasses do you want me to get us?"
R: "babe you know I don't care. Except maybe I want to try that churro sandwich. And it would be cool if we got back to geyser point"
Mom: "MORIMOTO"
Me: :confused3

if you've read any of my dining reports that included F&G trips you know that Steve, and now Chris, think this shrimp is the best thing in the world, hands down. The more sauce, the better.
:hyper: Steve's love of this dish is world famous! And he's right. So yummy!!!

OMG this is delicious. You can also get it with apple sauce but I needed the herb sour cream and onions! I could have done without the ham, it was ok and I ate a couple pieces, but the sour cream and onions were really what made this. The pancake itself had nice flavor, was cooked perfectly on the inside and out
I can't believe I didn't get this this year and got suckered into that dumb flavorless pretzel roll thing instead :sad:

Steve loved this shrimp ALMOST-almost-as much as the shrimp skewers from La Isla Fresca. He never really eats corn but thought the corn relish was out of this world
That shrimp and grits dish really is good, and I dislike corn a lot, so that's saying something! What I can't figure out is why they can't put in a year-round QS in like the Odyssey or Wonders of Life pavilion or something and call it "best of the fest" where you could get the delicious festival stuff all the time. They could even rotate the dishes offered so that they still keep some of the cache of "you can't get this all the time"

Luckily they didn't touch our La Vie en Rose, amiright ladies??
YOU IS RIGHT!!! If they touch it, it better be at least as good if not better and still pink!!!

so next up will be a wordy explanation and some rootin' tootin' napking twirlin' fun!
Can't wait for the hootenanny! :banana:

I giggle a little every time I see the sugar cane shrimp in your reviews. It's like subliminal messaging, though, because I'm hoping they serve this at Food and Wine this year. I told my husband about it, and he's pretty interested. You're great for marketing!

I hope they bring back the raspberry macaroon
OMG that would make me so happy! Looks like I'll be there next year for F&G so we can cross our fingers now lol

I just love your view from Geyser Point I would be there every evening with a :drinking1
I'll never get tired of that view.............makes me sad we aren't there for our next two trips, but it's not going anywhere so I know we'll be back :thumbsup2

If I ever make it to flower and garden, I'll have to add this to my list! I feel like we have similar tastes in sweet drinks!
I believe we do, and I believe you'd love this drink!

I agree! I thought this one looked better, but last year's tasted so much better.
Yeah this was pretty whereas last years' was plain, although I liked the news-wrap it came in. But taste-wise I don't think there was a comparison, last years was so much better.

And, your drinks at Geyser Point bring up wonderful memories...:love:
::yes:: :hug:

Upon entering Epcot...
Go directly for the shrimp.
Do not pass Go, do not collect $200...
:rotfl: that's perfect!

You know that I’m with you on the pink slushy drink being a “do not miss” for every F&G event. :)
The thing that makes me nervous about that, is that things this popular are what Disney tends to take away :sad1:

All your Epcot food looks super yummy! Feel bad for your boys. Nobody wants to be rashy or in pain, especially at WDW!
Ugh I know, I felt horrible for them, too. Poor Ricky has just had a terrible 10 months and is in for another 9 sucky ones. We just got back form a quick trip to Hershey PA and about 2 hours form home Chris starts complaining about his ear :scared: I was like oh no, not the dreaded ear infection..........then he said his jaw hurt and I thought crap, impacted wisdom tooth??? Luckily it seems he had water deep in his ear from swimming Friday, but I thought for sure the kid was destined to not enjoy himself!

Love this kid! And he's definitely got his priorities straight here.
Yes you can't say anyone in our family isn't a food lover :laughing:

I liked it, too, but I wish I'd tried the previous one to be able to compare it. I thought the chocolate one was good, but it was a bit too rich...and that's saying something since I have a serious sweet tooth, especially with chocolate!
I wish you'd been able to try the raspberry macoron also because it blew the chocolate one away. And I say that as someone who basically had never turned her back on chocolate in her life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!