He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

You're going back right before I get there the 19th - 24th! I'll be at the Dolphin (first time to F&W just DH and me)! If some blonde chicka with a Korean hubby stops to say hello (if you're still there) it's me, LOL! I love your reports! -Amy

Thanks for the pics of Cape May... we can’t wait to go back there in January! One of my teen boys loves crab legs and clams, and the other doesn’t like seafood at all - but he will go crazy for the beef. This was one of our favorite meals!

Believe it or not, but I have only had breakfast at CMC. Dinner will definitely need to be put on the list...Those crab legs look so good!!!

img_8615-jpg.344070
I've been wanting to try this place for dinner, but my Fiance isn't a big seafood person so I feel like most of the offering would be wasted on him. Those are some huge crab legs!

This would totally be how my Fiance's plate would look like lol.

Well Chris pretty much only heard the "doing it for less walking or Ricky" and felt that he was owed a schedule change in his honor.
:laughing: Smart guy, that one!

I love talking to employees about how long they're there, where they started out, what dept.'s they've been in.
Yes! I love this, too. I've had some of my favorite memories at Disney just enjoying chatting with CMs - one of whom had me as his sole passenger on a bus from HS to AK one time :wizard:

I now Steve loved the shirmp because he ate tons of it.
Steve? Shrimp? No way?! :rotfl:

Everyone was too full for dessert initially
Too full for dessert? What is this madness you speak of? It doesn't translate... :confused3

but we had something else coming up for dessert and I didn't want to be full!
Ahhh, I think I might have an idea. But whoever said you can't have two dessert experiences!? ;) :laughing:

Two unplanned-for nights back-to-back and both smashing successes! :thumbsup2

We're just all bummed about not going away while everyone else is either "just back" from or "just leaving" for vacation, and on top of it this Saturday is when we WOULD have been heading down for a week at BLT.
So bummed you aren't gonna be there. It won't be the same without you :sad:

This wasn't a pour, this was the glass I paid for after my pours were used up. My one friend and I finished our pours in like 20 minutes while friend #2 nursed hers.
I think I like friend one better :drinking1

Then over by the bathrooms we found Tink:

img_8614-jpg.344068
Of course it was because everyone wants to see Tinkerbell and easter eggs by the bathroom :P

img_8615-jpg.344070

First plate belonging to the man of the hour: his hearty helping of the crab legs he wanted:sad2: some salmon and beef tenderloin.
I love crab legs but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to smelling them at beach club :-) Will Chris eat blue crabs too? If so we'll have to get you down here sometime for some. I know you'd love it :love:

img_8618-jpg.344073

And Ricky's looks-like-a-child's-plate-except-maybe-for-the-salad.
Unless the child is Casey :P

And Ricky went a little wild with his 2nd plate, trying some rice with peas in it!
Wild man!

img_8638-jpg.344093

#aboyandhishottowel
It really is the simple things in life that make all the Disney magic :-)

I want to go here eventually. I am saving it for when we get to stay at Beach Club or Yacht Club.

img_8616-jpg.344071

Steve's plate with peel and eat shrimp, salad and bread, and I have no idea what the little thing to the right of the bread is. I now Steve loved the shirmp because he ate tons of it. We both also kept saying how pretty much every salad we hate was great, and that's also how we felt on our last visit.
Is it blue Cheese maybe?

img_8638-jpg.344093

#aboyandhishottowel
too funny!

Cape May Cafe for dinner has been a family tradition for years - since we first started staying at the Beach Club in the 1990's. We ate there in June with our son and two grandsons, age 12 and 14. They chowed down on the crab legs, too, and always find plenty of food there. Dana and I never get the crab legs. But we love the shrimp. He likes the fried shrimp so I always make the reservation for a night when they are serving it. I like the cold peel and eat shrimp. All in all we enjoy eating there, especially when we are staying at that resort.

The Sangria Festival looks like fun. I am a fan of white Sangria but I can't handle more than one glass. It would be fun to try the different flavors, though, since there is a lot of variety when it comes to Sangria.

We didn't mind as we'd eaten there before and enjoyed it
"Enjoyed it", must not be talking about Chris... :P

Oh but wait wait, on our way up to the room we'd stopped in Roaring Fork for my 3rd Magic Bar
Atta girl!!!

Wish I had one now...
First plate belonging to the man of the hour: his hearty helping of the crab legs he wanted:sad2: some salmon and beef tenderloin.
He got super pissed because it took so long to open the crab legs. And decided he wanted nothing to do with them. And Steve yelled lol so Chris worked harder to open them. He did love them, didn't like the salmon, and loved the meat.
Oh my gosh, the Chris stories just always *make* these reports. And I am just dying imagining Steve yelling at him after he insisted on cancelling Narcoossee's for crab legs and then didn't want the crab legs :rotfl:

I now Steve loved the shirmp because he ate tons of it.
I heard this in Stacey's voice from the must do video... "So, what about all the shopping, dining, and nightlife here at Walt Disney World Resort? Well, you’re in luck—because there’s a ton of it!"
tumblr_ma5yejC4DT1rv0uqpo1_500.gifv

Chris got some more crab legs :rotfl2:

Well, good dang thing!!! Otherwise I'd be sad not to have that signature filet...

img_8638-jpg.344093

#aboyandhishottowel
:lovestruc

The look of pure glee, which you can only get on a Disney vacation when your kids light up as they see their favorite characters hot towelettes.

While I can't comment on everything, I am still reading and really enjoying all of the photos of the dining you did!
:wave: I am so just falling off the deep end with this report, too :( but thank you for continuing to follow along!

I am the same way. It's so nice to chat with the CMs and find out a little of their story. I find they are usually very gracious and friendly too. :)
We have met such wonderful CM's, and while I know there's talk of the younger ones especially making comments in front of guests that they aren't thrilled with their job, we have found that the ones we start conversations with LOVE working for Disney (or have just learned to sell it really well). Many have come to work there after retiring, or came back after doing the CP and have been there since, and are happy to share their stories. It feels so good to hear them talk fondly about their love for their job ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo

I'll be at the Dolphin (first time to F&W just DH and me)! If some blonde chicka with a Korean hubby stops to say hello (if you're still there) it's me, LOL! I love your reports! -Amy
LOL, I WISH we could stay to meet you! Unfortunately my mom can only handle the added responsibility of staying with the kids for so long.......I hope you have a great trip :goodvibes

Thanks for the pics of Cape May... we can’t wait to go back there in January! One of my teen boys loves crab legs and clams, and the other doesn’t like seafood at all - but he will go crazy for the beef. This was one of our favorite meals!
Glad you enjoy it, too! We don't have it planned for Nov. because, well, it's too hard to fit EVERYTHING in on every trip lol, but I'm sure we'll be back on the trip after that!

Believe it or not, but I have only had breakfast at CMC. Dinner will definitely need to be put on the list...Those crab legs look so good!!!
Yes you should get there for dinner for sure! I keep wanting to try breakfast since it gets good reviews but since the boys aren't into characters anymore....................we'll see :(

I've been wanting to try this place for dinner, but my Fiance isn't a big seafood person so I feel like most of the offering would be wasted on him. Those are some huge crab legs!
Well I'm a NO seafood eater and I love it! And Ricky is an only mussels-eater and he does too, so I think your fiance (almost DH???) just may find a decent amount to eat :thumbsup2 I mean it may not be the meal he gets the fullest at, but I think he'd find some good stuff!

:laughing: Smart guy, that one!
Um, I think "conniving" is the better word..............

Yes! I love this, too. I've had some of my favorite memories at Disney just enjoying chatting with CMs - one of whom had me as his sole passenger on a bus from HS to AK one time :wizard:
lol, sometimes they can get TOO chatty, but nonetheless they also have some interesting stories to tell. We've learned fun facts, little known facts, etc.

Steve? Shrimp? No way?! :rotfl:
And I know you won't believe this, but at our County Fair this week he actually got - wait for it - coconut shrimp on a skewer :eek: Now there wasn't any rice with it, just some type of pineapple jam; he did love the shrimp but they weren't #flowerandgardenshrimp

So bummed you aren't gonna be there. It won't be the same without you :sad:
Tell me your trip was horrible because we were in NY. TELL ME!
We'll cross paths again, hopefully May :goodvibes

I think I like friend one better :drinking1
:laughing: You most definitely would like friend one better lol

love crab legs but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to smelling them at beach club :-)
I have a client who normally stays between BC/BW. They don't eat at CMC because of the smell, which she says is SO strong whenever they walk by, regardless of time of day. When we stayed there and even just walking by when visiting - I only smell it if CMC is open for dinner? And while I hate the smell of fish, it doesn't seem overwhelming to me so hopefully it didn't bother you. If it did, maybe you just went up and relaxed on your balcony, taking in that fantastic view..................

Will Chris eat blue crabs too? If so we'll have to get you down here sometime for some. I know you'd love it :love:
He's never had them but I know he'd try them! So when are we coming :coffee:

I want to go here eventually. I am saving it for when we get to stay at Beach Club or Yacht Club.
Good idea, although you could also book it and then walk around and enjoy the BW entertainment afterwards :)

Is it blue Cheese maybe?
You know :scratchin it does kind of look like blue cheese and Steve loves it, so could be...............

But we love the shrimp. He likes the fried shrimp so I always make the reservation for a night when they are serving it.
I don't seem to remember the fried shrimp on any of our visits so I think we've hit it on the nights they don't serve it. I'll have to take that in to consideration next time because Steve and Chris would enjoy it.

The Sangria Festival looks like fun. I am a fan of white Sangria but I can't handle more than one glass. It would be fun to try the different flavors, though, since there is a lot of variety when it comes to Sangria.
I prefer white over red; I can do a little more than 1 glass :blush: It is nice to try the different flavors!

"Enjoyed it", must not be talking about Chris... :P
:rotfl2: God forbid he see me write that he "enjoys" something, he'll immediately say he hates it!

Oh my gosh, the Chris stories just always *make* these reports. And I am just dying imagining Steve yelling at him after he insisted on cancelling Narcoossee's for crab legs and then didn't want the crab legs :rotfl:
You should have seen Steve's face :furious: And Chris is all like :snooty: No crab legs, nope don't care that we came here for me. Whatevs lol.

The look of pure glee, which you can only get on a Disney vacation when your kids light up as they see their favorite characters hot towelettes.
:rotfl:

Fantasmic! Dessert Party
Ah, so after another really good meal at Cape May Cafe, we wandered around the Boardwalk for a bit, killing some time before heading over to HS. We had a FP for TOT but it was still early, and after checking wait times, well, there wasn't any point in hurrying to the park. Eventually we boated over, I got in my last ride on my favorite attraction, we walked around a bit and eventually checked in to our final event of the evening:

IMG_8643.JPG

I can't remember exactly when the Fantasmic! Dessert Party started - Sept. 2017 maybe? But it hadn't been all that long before our trip and I hadn't read too many reviews. As a whole my family haven't loved the dessert parties we've done, but I decided to do this for a couple reasons:
1. it had been awhile since we'd seen F! and being spring break week, I figured this would guarantee us good seats
2. the price wasn't as high as regular dessert parties
3. I thought the dessert boxes were cute :D

For this dessert party you simply walked in to the theater and told the CM you had dessert party reservations. Once you got pretty far up inside there was a check in desk where you were first given the lanyards pictured above on my Ricky. FYI, we didn't actually check in until about 40 minutes before the show started, even though we could have checked in 75 minutes early. I did want my decent seats but, we also don't like sitting and waiting for long.

After getting the lanyards, we proceed just a bit farther up the hill to this:

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

Sorry they aren't the best, but this was the stand where you picked up your dessert boxes and drinks. They put everything in a nice shopping bag with handles

IMG_8647.JPG

That pictures is even worse, sorry! But you can still kind of see it's a cute bag! Very thick and sturdy, too. This made it easy to carry our snack boxes to our seats. Along with the snack boxes they packed napkins and utensils; then we made our way around the corner of the table to get our drinks:

IMG_8648.JPG

See where it says "sweet and sour"? Yeah, they went heavy on the sweet with this. As you all know I'm a sweet adult beverage kinda gal with a preference for Moscato when I do wine, but I couldn't take more than about 3 sips of this. And that was just because I wanted alcohol.......
The non-alcoholic drink was this:

IMG_8649.JPG

And here they are together:

IMG_8650.JPG

Pretty princess: The Nightmare Punch, I thought, was ok; the boys stuck to water as they gave us 4 small bottles of water, also. The Nightmare Punch was less sweet than the margarita but I just took a taste so overall the drinks were a bust; the mugs, not so much! You can't tell from the picture but they light up; they actually flash a few different ways via a button on the bottom. We kept the mugs and Chris and his friends enjoy drinking out of them.

Here is what you've all been waiting for:

IMG_8651.JPG

#bestpictureever

Let me try to remember what we have:
-cheese cubes and some pita-like crackers
-trail mix
-2 rather large white chocolate covered strawberries
-an apple cobbler (with the almond sitting on top)
-cheesecake with strawberry boba balls
-chocolate cupcake with purple frosting

I have to say; I enjoyed this. The apple cobbler was my favorite and was awesome as were the chocolate covered strawberries, although in the humidity they did start to "sweat". I didn't try the cupcake or trail mix, I ate the cheesecake minus boba balls (don't like those balls) and I didn't try any cheese but did have some crackers. It was nice to be able to eat some, put it away, then open it back up and it was really nice to take the kids' and Steve's back to the room, since other than myself the only one who ate anything there was Chris who had the cupcake and cheesecake :rolleyes: However by the time we went home the boys had eaten or at least tried everything, finishing the cheese, crackers, and apple cobbler; Steve ate his cheese, trail mix, and strawberries, and I ate his cobbler. Everything tasted good, Steve liked what was in the trail mix which of course I can't remember. I think the one item that nobody was really impressed with was the cupcake, simply because it was just a plain old cupcake.
As for our seats, we walked in about 20 minutes before the show started and got seats mid-way down, in the right hand section but on the end of the row towards the middle:

IMG_8653.JPG

This is my only shot that came out halfway decent but you see we had a good view; I don't think there's really a bad view in the theater. We didn't care to be way down front but it you did, you'd still probably need to get there 45-60 minutes early because that section was all filled. The entire theater was filled when we walked in except for our VIP section so I'm glad we did it for that as we all loved seeing the show again. Did I think the desserts were worth it?

I wish they'd change the drinks. I did love the snacks, I think it's a good mix and all were tasty plus I loved being able to take them back and also they way they were packaged/handed out. I do see a problem when it's real hot though, since the strawberries were already starting to melt in the beginning heat of later March. As it gets hotter the frosting on the cupcake would probably drip, too, so those things most likely wouldn't make it back to your room. I don't know if I've ever felt a dessert party we've done was "worth it", and this can't really be categorized as a dessert party.....but, if you go during a busy time and want to guarantee good seating without using a FP or booking a F! dining package, it's a good option and the snacks most likely won't disappoint. Even though the drinks sucked at least they also included waters as an option. I don't know that we'd do it again especially since now we won't feel the extreme need to see F! for a few trips, but I'm glad we did it. FYI I also had some clients do it who were all first time WDW visitors and they were happy with it.

Back to our room afterwards and if you are following my TR, you know the smoke at the end of the show did a job on Chris's allergies. So overall a good night between dinner and dessert, finished up with some more snack box eating in the room and only a couple hours' sleep for all of us except Ricky, since Steve and I couldn't sleep with my poor Chris sneezing uncontrollably. But you also know if you're reading my TR that by the next morning Chris was better, so he was able to enjoy our last day as much as Chris enjoys any Disney day.

Sort of :offtopic: but I'm considering booking the Frozen Dessert Party for our Nov. trip if they still have it. First of all, when @Whit64130 did it in May and showed me her pictures, the desserts actually looked amazing :cloud9: Second, the boys haven't ridden FEA yet and will not agree to using a FP on it. I don't blame them and they aren't dying to ride it, and while it's not my favorite I've kind of developed a bit of a soft spot for it even though I hate the movie. Also Illuminations will have the special holiday tag at the end when we're down there and I've missed it the last 2 Thanksgiving trips we've taken even though I was planning to see it, so this will guarantee I watch it especially with the talk of Illuminations going away. Just figured I'd share!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend my friends, I'm down to one Disney day left before I finish this puppy up.

Sounds like the Fantasmic was good. Probably with the amount of people there when you were there, it was probably a good idea.

Sort of :offtopic: but I'm considering booking the Frozen Dessert Party for our Nov. trip if they still have it. First of all, when @Whit64130 did it in May and showed me her pictures, the desserts actually looked amazing :cloud9: Second, the boys haven't ridden FEA yet and will not agree to using a FP on it. I don't blame them and they aren't dying to ride it, and while it's not my favorite I've kind of developed a bit of a soft spot for it even though I hate the movie. Also Illuminations will have the special holiday tag at the end when we're down there and I've missed it the last 2 Thanksgiving trips we've taken even though I was planning to see it, so this will guarantee I watch it especially with the talk of Illuminations going away. Just figured I'd share!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend my friends, I'm down to one Disney day left before I finish this puppy up.
I don't think I have seen pictures of the Frozen Dessert Party, yet. The pictures of the desserts for ROL look really good.Too bad i have no desire to see ROL again.

Thanks for the review of the Fantastic Dessert Party! Haven't seen too many of those around. It does seem like a decent option if you want decent seats but don't want to do a dinner package!

I don't seem to remember the fried shrimp on any of our visits so I think we've hit it on the nights they don't serve it. I'll have to take that in to consideration next time because Steve and Chris would enjoy it.
The fried shrimp is served on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. We usually eat there on a fried shrimp night. They alternate fried calamari and fried fish on the other nights.
Sort of :offtopic: but I'm considering booking the Frozen Dessert Party for our Nov. trip if they still have it. First of all, when @Whit64130 did it in May and showed me her pictures, the desserts actually looked amazing
I have seen many parties set up along the shoreline in the World Showcase, in those areas down by the water. I know that some of them are private parties, but if one of these set ups was for the dessert party then I would be tempted to book this one. It looks really nice. :)

1. it had been awhile since we'd seen F! and being spring break week, I figured this would guarantee us good seats
2. the price wasn't as high as regular dessert parties
3. I thought the dessert boxes were cute :D
Similar reasons to us! Our group had 2 that had never seen the show, 2 that had recently seen WDWs, 2 that had recently seen DLRs but not WDW, and 1 that had seen DLRs 10 years before. And it worked better so we could do 50s as our main meal this day instead of a F! dinner package. We kicked around doing it again in a few weeks, but decided to go with MM. (Zack really wanted to go to the show, I probably could have skipped since we just saw DLRs new version in April and it is AMAZING).

FYI, we didn't actually check in until about 40 minutes before the show started, even though we could have checked in 75 minutes early. I did want my decent seats but, we also don't like sitting and waiting for long.
Same here! Anything more than 30-45mins to save a seat is too long for me, I get antsy.

See where it says "sweet and sour"? Yeah, they went heavy on the sweet with this. As you all know I'm a sweet adult beverage kinda gal with a preference for Moscato when I do wine, but I couldn't take more than about 3 sips of this.
Oh man. I figured they would water these down with the mixer because they were pretty strong when we went, the first week or two after this started.

I think the one item that nobody was really impressed with was the cupcake, simply because it was just a plain old cupcake.
:rotfl: and it was my favorite, because it was a plain old cupcake...

I wish they'd change the drinks. I did love the snacks, I think it's a good mix and all were tasty plus I loved being able to take them back and also they way they were packaged/handed out. I do see a problem when it's real hot though, since the strawberries were already starting to melt in the beginning heat of later March. As it gets hotter the frosting on the cupcake would probably drip, too, so those things most likely wouldn't make it back to your room. I don't know if I've ever felt a dessert party we've done was "worth it", and this can't really be categorized as a dessert party.....but, if you go during a busy time and want to guarantee good seating without using a FP or booking a F! dining package, it's a good option and the snacks most likely won't disappoint.
Yes, our strawberries were pretty soft in September. I don't remember the cupcake being too bad. I only wish there had been one more non-fruit dessert option. I don't like fruit or cheesecake, so having apple crumble/strawberries/cheesecake with fruit flavored boba balls... :sad1: but I ate Zack's cupcake and drank his margarita too, so I survived :rotfl: I wish they had left the drinks alone, but I guess Disney can't give out too much "free" alcohol :laughing:

We did this in April, I really liked the seats and we only waited about 30 minutes for the show with great seats. The allergy box Andi got was not very good but I thought the regular one was fine. I really liked the cheese and crackers and chocolate covered strawberries.

I’m glad you enjoyed this. The souvenir cups and lanyards were nice!

So good to read a more in depth review over the Fantasmic Dessert "party" because, like you said, reviews are pretty scarce. We are doing it next week and I'm looking forward to it! Bummer about the margarita though and your thoughts on it line up with a few other reviews I've read. Glad we get the water bottles!

C is in agreement with the fact that "dessert party" really isn't a fitting name since you get a snack box and you don't even get to pick what you want. I actually would like to try it once. But I'm all about trying everything at least once. There's a pretty good chance that I would like everything in that box but my family would be picky. That just means I could eat whatever they don't want though ;).

I think we are leaning towards trying Pirates and Pals one day. If it still exist by the time we try to do it :confused3. We are hoping G will outgrow his fear of fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter