hearing impaired

msalsagirl

Earning My Ears
I have a 13 year old son who is hearing impaired and we are planning a summer trip to WDW. Any advice?

First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILTIES! A couple of personal questions which will assist us in helping.

When you say impaired, please explain in a little more detail. Does he use hearing aids or implants? Is it total hearing loss or partial, does he sign (or read) ASL? Etc.

We have several people who are active in this forum who can give good recommendations, but being able to understand the extent of the impairment will help us help you.

msalsagirl said:
I have a 13 year old son who is hearing impaired and we are planning a summer trip to WDW. Any advice?

Hi msalsagirl :wave2:

our son is 15 and is hearing impaired. severely deaf in one ear and moderate to severe in the other so feel free to ask me any questions. we have been going to DW since he was 18 months old.

Cheshire Figment said:
First of all, welcome to both DisBoards and disABILTIES! A couple of personal questions which will assist us in helping.

When you say impaired, please explain in a little more detail. Does he use hearing aids or implants? Is it total hearing loss or partial, does he sign (or read) ASL? Etc.

We have several people who are active in this forum who can give good recommendations, but being able to understand the extent of the impairment will help us help you.

My son is moderate to severe in both ears. He does not sign, though he knows some sign language(we are taking beginner classes). He uses 2 hearing aids.

Ali and boyz said:
Hi msalsagirl :wave2:

our son is 15 and is hearing impaired. severely deaf in one ear and moderate to severe in the other so feel free to ask me any questions. we have been going to DW since he was 18 months old.

Thank you for responding. My son is moderate to severe in both ears. Any advice with help at WDW.

Ok there are several thing available for those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
ALD (assistive listening device) - 2 type - built in headset and reciever with earbud type. adjustable volume
One with a box reciever and a headset that plugs into the box. it can be used by CI users, those who use a plugin reciever at school or home and bring there own earmold setup, and those who cannot use earbuds due to the size of their ears. adjustable volume. Obtain from Guest Services at any park and return to them at same location. Deposit of $25, fully refunded

Reflective captioning - a screen that shows the script projected from the back of the auditorium. It is plexigas and you adjust it to see both the captions and the show at the same time. Request from Castmember at the venue.

Handheld Captioning - a box with a screen that scrolls the script of the ride or show. these tend to be out of sync frequently but if he doesn't wear his aids it shouldn't bother him. Obtain from Guest Services and return to same location. $100 deposit fully refunded on return. Also includes a button the turn on closed captioning in preshows and at interactive areas in Living Seas

Closed Captioning - get Clicker to activate at Guest Services. Deposit $25 refundable on return.

Interpreting - mostly for live shows Is done on a rotating park basis. (MK - M & Th, Epcot - T & F, MGM - W & Su, AK - Sa) Get schedule of shows from Guest Services) New schedule comes out every Sun.

If you have any questions you can contact guest services by phone.
1-407-824-4321

msalsagirl said:
Thank you for responding. My son is moderate to severe in both ears. Any advice with help at WDW.

Think for us the biggest things were the water parks and the big rides. Our son doesn't sign but will lip read but a bit like the swimming baths some of the water rides are quite echoy (and obvousley has to take his hearing aids out) for example the wave pool and he def. wouldn't hear a thing so we have always been extra vigilante at the water parks. Also because I am frightened his hearing aids will fall out we make him take them off on the big rides.
other than that there has been no problems at all. He hasn't used any other devices other than his digital hearing aids when in the parks.

if there is something you think about please fire away with the questions.

I always take a ziploc bag to put the hearing aids in if it rains. My daughter has digital programable hearing aids so water is the enemy. If he wears behind the ear hearing aids, be sure and have him take his hearing aids out on rides like BTMR, Dinosaur, etc. We learned this the hard way the first time my DD rode RnRcoaster at MGM. Luckily she felt them coming loose and was able to hold them in. I take one of those hard shell sunglass cases like they sell at Target to keep them in. That way they are protected when not in her ears. Also have a soft cloth handy to wipe off any moisture such as persperation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter