Heat tolerant, but pretty, perennials? (Mamu?)

Yay2001

Well, we all shine on ...
I have a 2'x3' spot in my flower bed that faces due west and therefore gets direct evening sun. Come July, it's brutal to anything I plant here!

Last year I planted miniature annual hibiscus, which did quite well -- but I would rather use a perennial. My goal is to have an all-perrennial flower bed!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Linda I'm sure if you grew hibiscus you have good soil.

I would mix peat moss to lighten the soil plus it helps to keep in moisture. Also you can put down a layer of mulch this also will keep the soil cool and retain moisture. There are lots of perennials that grow in the sun. Also you might consider some of the ornamental grasses.

Yarrow likes the sun and grows well in drier soils. Hollyhock, Alyssum, Coreopsis, Coneflower, Daylilies, Iris, Lantana, Dianthus, Lupine, Liatris, poppies the list goes on and on. When starting a perennial garden you will not have instant beauty. It takes a couple of years for perennials to fill out. You can fill in the bare spots with annuals. That way it won't look so barren.

There are different varieties in each of these plants. Visit a few of the nursery in your area, check out the plants they are offering that like sun, what the heights of the plants will be, and most important the prices. Some perennials can be very expensive.

thanks, Mamu!

I understand about perrenials not prducing "instant" beauty -- I guess I'm just impatient ;)

I have daylillies that I got at the end of the season last year. I never expected them to live at all. But they are now in the direct sun and have already produced their first flowers. They're beautiful. And when they aren't blooming, they look like monkey grass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter