HELP! Calling all DL DIS'ers.

MAGICX2

DIS Veteran
My DH and I visited DL for our 1st anniv. in 2000. I was excited :teeth: to visit but disappointed at what I found :confused3. It was a run down version of WDW. However, I understand there have been MAJOR renovations since and I am excited :banana: about the possibility of going back. DL Cali was not there when we visited :guilty: (still under const.) We are a WDW family and feel we know the in's and out's of WDW fairly well. :earsboy: It is very intimitating to me to try my hand at a new park. I want to have a good time, not feel rushed and get to see alot in a full five days.(hopefully this Oct.) What I am asking for of my fellow DIS'ers is to share any info you feel is important to know, any tips you have, must see's, must not see's, etc. DD will be 20 months and DS will be 4.5. Don't fail me now! :rolleyes: AS IF!

I haven't experienced Buzz or ToT, so this could change when that happens, but....

My Disneyland Dozen Definite Dos.
Indy
Pirates
Mansion
Splash
Big Thunder (night)
Roger Rabbit
HISTA
Matterhorn
Space
Star Tours
Fantasmic
Fireworks

DCA Top 10
Soarin'
Screamin'
GRR
Muppets
Bug
Alladin
Electrical Parade
Animation
Sun Wheel (swinging car)
UUmmmm....Maliboomer...hard to get 10

Being that you're familar with WDW, you'd want to pay attention to things unique to DL, so add the dark rides and Storybookland/Casey Jr. (night). Pirates and IMO Space are superior in DL.

For Oct. 5 full days is plenty of time. I'd suggest finding other things to do for a day or two. Sometimes we'll go in DL morning and night, but somewhere else in between.

Cheers.

I just read that POTC/Blue Bayou will be closing for refurbishment on 10/3 and will remain closed through mid-December. We too are planning on visiting in October and I can't tell you how disappointed we are. I know that there will be so many other things to enjoy but this was truly one of the attractions and restaurants that I was most looking forward to. Guess we'll have to use it as an excuse to plan another DL trip in a few years :)

You may try visiting a few of the more DL-focused discussion boards (e.g. laughingplace, etc.) as they tend to get more "traffic" and therefore more threads than the DL side of the disboards. I find the DIS to be the absolute best for WDW but there just doesn't seem to be as much interest in the DL side of things here.

Maybe we'll see you there in October - we are traveling with DD5 and DS2 from October 4-9.

I think you will be amazingly and pleasantly surprised by the changes DL has undergone since 2000... There is definitely more of a "resort-feel" to the area (esp. if staying at one of the Dis properties). You can safely walk all places w/in DL... pedestrian walkway OVER the road from DLHotel to the Parks... The Downtown Disney area is a pleasant break or after hours excursion. It is an entirely different experience (IMHO) from the pre-CalAdv days...

5 days w/ children should give you a good pace to feel relaxed and see everything you want... There's a "Bug's Land" kiddie section at CalAdv that has great theming and rides for the little ones and there's a redwood forest climbing area by the river rapids that your DS might not want to come out from...

akasleepingbeauty said:
I just read that POTC/Blue Bayou will be closing for refurbishment on 10/3 and will remain closed through mid-December. We too are planning on visiting in October and I can't tell you how disappointed we are.

:faint:
Say it isn't so!

That is too bad. We'll be there when you are and also really looked forward to POTC and BB.
Oh, well... :confused3

First I want to say I have been to WDW at least 13x in the past 10 years. I am not a WDW pro, but close. We just got back with our 2 children DS 10 and DD 5 from our very first trip to DL. DS has been to WDW 7x and DD has been 3x. We all thought that DL blew the MK out of the water! Fantasy land was so much better then WDW Fantasy Land. We had a complete blast. We spent 5 days and 4 nights at GC, a wonderful resort. We only left the parks one afternoon to go see Hollywood and the Pacific Ocean. We couldn't wait to get back into DL, the traffic was terrible outside the resort area!

The feel is so more intimate and I felt so honored to walk and be where it all started! We can't wait to go back. DH and I said maybe skip WDW 2x so we can go back to DL again. We have a trip scheduled to WDW this June and I think our family may be a bit dissapointed now that we have been to the park that started it all!

You should have a wonderful time. With at least 4 days of touring you will get see it at a great relaxing pace and then get to redo some of your favorites. We redid things that we knew we wouldn't see for awhile.

Have fun!

babysharknc said:
First I want to say I have been to WDW at least 13x in the past 10 years. I am not a WDW pro, but close. We just got back with our 2 children DS 10 and DD 5 from our very first trip to DL. DS has been to WDW 7x and DD has been 3x. We all thought that DL blew the MK out of the water! Fantasy land was so much better then WDW Fantasy Land. We had a complete blast. We spent 5 days and 4 nights at GC, a wonderful resort. We only left the parks one afternoon to go see Hollywood and the Pacific Ocean. We couldn't wait to get back into DL, the traffic was terrible outside the resort area!

The feel is so more intimate and I felt so honored to walk and be where it all started! We can't wait to go back. DH and I said maybe skip WDW 2x so we can go back to DL again. We have a trip scheduled to WDW this June and I think our family may be a bit dissapointed now that we have been to the park that started it all!

You should have a wonderful time. With at least 4 days of touring you will get see it at a great relaxing pace and then get to redo some of your favorites. We redid things that we knew we wouldn't see for awhile.

Have fun!

I agree! When I read the original post, I remembered my first trip to WDW. I had been to DL about 30+ times, and really didn't like WDW! I felt that it was a knockoff of DL!!!! :rotfl:

Now I've learned to love both DL and WDW for different reasons. DL is great for a short trip, and to enjoy all the tiny details. WDW is great for longer relaxation, and more variety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter