Help...Chemo and the parks...

pinkribbondanielle

Earning My Ears
Hi...new to this message board and am hoping that SOMEONE, ANYONE can help me. I'll be visiting the Disney resorts in May. I'll be in the midst of chemo for early stage breast cancer. My energy will be low, real low. Will they make accomodations for me? I can't stand in the crazy lines in the warm sun. If so do I just visit guest relations? Does anyone know? :cool1:

Thanks

Visit guest services/relations at the parks, explain your situation. More than likely they will give you a guest assistance pass. The type of passes vary depending on individual needs. Likely you'll be allowed to wait in a cooler area, depending on how many are in your party, some of them may need to wait through the regular queue and you can join them prior to loading onto the rides/attractions.

If there are just two or three in your party, you may all be able to wait together. Unless there is some other medical need, you'll probably need to wait about the same amount of time as those entering the regular line, depending on the set-up for the individual attraction.

Hi! I don't have anything to add about guest relations help, but I just wanted to send you best wishes for your chemotherapy treatment. I have a good friend who is almost finished with her treatment and another friend who has been cancer free for a year now.

Best wishes and I hope that you have a magical trip! :wizard: :goodvibes

The parks can be exhausting even when not undergoing medical treatments. Rent a scooter or ask at your resort to borrow a wheelchair. If you are staying on property, they will loan you one for the length of your stay. Not having to hike so much should help.

Best of luck with your treatments.

Best Wishes on your upcoming treatment. I would suggest bringing a Doctors note with you so you will have something to show them at Guest Relations.
My best friend is going through chemo right now, and we are planning a "Summer Recovery Trip" to WDW.

May God bless you with a full recovery and a magical trip to WDW. :sunny:

I know every case is different but I am currently in the midst of chemotherapy for early stage breast cancer and we decided to postpone our spring break WDW trip. My doctor is concerned about germs and advised against a trip to WDW. If you have any questions about the treatments, I'd be happy to answer. PM me. As a matter of fact, I have a treatment tomorrow. :sad1:

With that said, hang in there sister! And, you'll have no problem getting a wheel chair. I believe you may rent them at guest relations in any park, no questions asked.

Denise

Hi Danielle -- Have you started chemo yet? Or done it in the past? Just curious- because I completed chemo a year ago, and was able (physically) to go to WDW after my 5th month (with one month to go)....actually - As my military husband had to relocate without me, I took my 3 yo to WDW by myself for a long weekend - mostly because I NEEDED to find my happy place and just couldn't face my last month of chemo without it (DIsney IS a drug!).

I wore a ballcap with a pin that said "Chemo sucks" - and took it slowly.....I don't think most people even noticed my total lack of hair,,,,and I don't think the castmembers noticed either - they see everything there! You probably won't be able to go commando at the parks - but if you get there when they open (and it's still reasonably cool) and then leave around noon/one for a nap or swim and then head back later then you should be fine (I just kept to the 3 yo's pace!).

I asked about current /previous chemo experience - because you don't want to convince yourself about your capabilites (or lack of) before you even start! Never sell yourself short!! Everyone responds differently to chemo - some get sick, other's don't (I won't even go there...); some lose their hair, others don't ...Some get really tired, other's don't.........Try to keep a positive attitude, and see how you feel . Also, there are many different treatment regimens, and you will have times when you feel better than other's during your cycle (I did Cysplatin /gemzar in a 3 weeks on, 1 week off regimen --- I went to WDW right before the start of my last treatment). I had to have white and red blood cell booster shots at points during chemo, as well as a platelet transfusion - and those things do help.....pester your MD's about your blood counts, and if they get low - ask for the booster shots (procrit was one, I can't think of the name of the other (chemo-brain is my excuse :) )...Obviously - if you've already started, or done this before then I am preaching to the choir and just ignore me ;) .

One more thing to think about - if your counts are low (esp. white blood cells) - you may be more susceptible to infection - and lord knows that WDW is a great place to catch a cold (or other yucky bugs) what with the thousands and thousands of people....talk to your Oncologist! You don't want to end up in the hospital because you caught a cold that your body couldn't fight because of an impaired immune system......

I can't help you with Disney "accomodating" you - because I never inquired (I was a little tired, but with plenty of water, using fastpasses to limit line-waiting and taking rests & swims - I did okay). Disney does publish Handicapped guides that you can pick up at guest relations ----

Wishing you the best of luck !! Jill

You won't need a note for Guest Relations... they won't ask to see it. Just explain the situation and they should give you an Guest Assistance Card. I would recommend renting a w/c so when you do get tired, you won't have to walk back to the front of the parks to get one. You may not need it, but it doesn't hurt, you can always pile your packages, backpacks etc in it. Scooters are also available on a 1st come, 1st served basis.

I do agree with nasmith that if your white blood cell count is down at that time, and with the beginning stages of Chemo, it may be, you may not want to subject yourself to all the WDW has to offer in the way of germs, etc. You will want to discuss this at length with your Oncologist and follow his recommendations. You may also want to carry a copy of your treatments with you if, God forbid, you need to have medical attention while there.

I hope that you will have a very successful run with your Chemo, with the least amount of side effects, and that it completely irradicates your cancer.

Good luck to you!

There is no doubt in my mind that you need an ECV for the parks. You should get an off-site rental so it can be available at all times. Some of the resorts it is a very long walk from some of the rooms to the lobby. Also, ECVs cannot be rented at Downtown Disney.

Disney will not issue a Guest Assistance Card for endurance issues; they will recommend that you use a wheelchair or ECV. Almost all of the attraction lines are "mainstreamed", so you can ride an ECV (or wheelchair) to the boarding area; for those that are not you will be directed to an alternate entrance.

When my wife was undergoing chemo we were a two ECV family. I was able to find one of a small enough size for her that I was able to get both in the car. We kept both ECV seats in the rear seat of the car, the batteries for mine on the floor in the back, and were able to fit everything else in the trunk.

Also, go to your state Motor Vehicles web site and download/print an application for a handicap tag. Ask your doctor to sign it for a temporary tag. You can bring the tag to Florida with you which will allow you to park in the medical parking areas of each park.

Our first trip with our DD was scheduled for June and I was diagnosed with breast cancer the last day of March. My mom wanted me to cancel, but no way was I going to miss this event with my child now. Well, that was 5 years ago and 8 trips later :teeth: ! Now all that said, I had had 3 rounds of adryimiacin (sp?) and cytoxin and was very tired and bald, among other side effects. I tried to just take it slow, but finally got the ECV and it made things much better. As for the GAC I had no trouble just explaining my needs to the CM at Guest Relations. She set up a card that allowed me to wait in the shade as another poster mentioned or to use an alternate entrance when needed. Disney was wonderful and this was one of our best trips. Just take it slow, get a chair or an ECV and have the time of your life - then plan your next trip!! I was only 30 when I was diagnosed and I am still undergoing chemo even now, but Disney is one of my "carrots" as my oncologist calls it. If you need any support or questions answered, I'd be happy to help. I'm just a PM away. Have fun.
Lisa
Tiger Fan

My only recommendation is to rent a scooter and utilize fast pass as much as possible.

Also, I know this will be on your mind, but go to Disney and try to forget about the chemo and enjoy all the magic of Disney.

Last year I was told to cancel my trip because they wanted to remoeve a melanoma. My surgeon said go and have fun and we will remove it when you get back. I went to Disney and was trying real hard to forget about it. P.S. It was a great trip, even though it poped up now and then I was enjoying the Disney magic. When I came back I removed it and staying positive.

Good Luck and have FUN.

Besides what the others wrote, check out the disABILITIES FAQs near the top of this bord.
It has sort of the "basic primer" about wheelchairs and ecvs - where to rent one, links to the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park.

One of the other things you want to bring along is some alcohol handrub (Purell is one brand). That way, you can clean your hands frequently to cut down on exposure to germs.

Firstly, and most importantly, good luck with your chemo.
Secondly, as other posters have said, be very careful if your blood counts are low. You may be more prone to infection so take it easy (I've been an oncology nurse for 18 years so always have to be boring and point out the practicalities :rolleyes: ) Everyone's experience with chemo is different so see how you go and, if you 'do' the May vacation, have a fantastic time :goodvibes
Alison
:grouphug:

Most importantly - good luck with the chemo. :cheer2: A positive attitude is always helpful. I had chemo and radiation five years ago for breast cancer. Disney had always been the outlet for the stressful life I was leading at the time. Now it is the place I dream about all the time. If we are not at WDW - we are planning our next visit.

My husband and I went to WDW before the chemo started and we had a wonderful time. We also went in the middle of the six treatments as a moral booster. We went back at the end of the treatments to celebrate completion. Each time I had a little less energy but enought to make it through the parks at a slower pace than the trip before. A quick reminder - be careful of the sun :umbrella: . Wear plenty of sun screen and return to your room during the heat of the day to rest, if you can. :disrocks:

We did not rent a wheelchair for any of our trips because it was very important for me to walk around the world. In retrospect - it probably would have been easier. The cast members go out of their way for people in wheelchairs. If you go to Guest Services and explain your situation, they will do everything possible to make your trip memorable.

Good luck to you and your family. Cancer is very difficult physically for you but I feel evern more stressful emotionally on your family. Try to keep a positive attitude (WDW will certainly help in area) and you will beat this "bump in the road" as my husband always called the cancer.

Nothing really to add just wanted to send you my best wishes as well, GOD SPEED to you, have fun at WDW !

Cheshire Figment said:
There is no doubt in my mind that you need an ECV for the parks. You should get an off-site rental so it can be available at all times. Some of the resorts it is a very long walk from some of the rooms to the lobby. Also, ECVs cannot be rented at Downtown Disney.

Actually, DTD DOES rent ECV's, but only have 5 and they are rented on a 1st come 1st served basis and cannot be reserved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter