Help getting from car to ECV rental location

MomBoyd

DIS Veteran
My mother, 80, and her cousins, in their 70s, will be traveling to WDW by car. Two of the three will need to rent ECVs at the parks. Is there any way for them to get help from their car to the ECV rental locations in the parks?

Have they thought about renting from an off-site vendor? That way they will have them at the hotel to use.

They are staying with family about an hour away, so they would have no way to get the ECVs to the parks.

Do they have a handicap parking sticker? Will they be going to more than one park? How do they navigate in day to day life?

One suggestion might be for the most agile one to drop the other two off, go park the car and meet up with them. There is still going to be some walking to get to the ECVs . Would a rollator help any of them to walk to the rental place? They could leave it at the rental place for the day.

They do have a handicapped parking tag. Dropping two of them off at the door might work for Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, because the distance to the ECV rental is not too long. However, the walk at EPCOT is a bit too long and the trip to Magic Kingdom is far too long. It would make their travels much easier if there was a way to get someone to take them from the parking lot to the ECV rental area. There are wheelchairs but they don't have anyone to push them.

My mom used to rent the ECV at the parks and she said trying to get one at the MK was the worse. The last time they parked in the handicapped space and had to walk to the TC because the parking tram didn't pick up that close to the TC. She said would have been better parking in normal area taking the tram that drops you off closer. Once she did the whole boat ride, through the gate to the rental place she was exhausted. But it got worse they were completely out of ECVs and there is no way to know when any would be back. She walked all that way for nothing. Her and my dad waited around for about an hour for someone to return an ECV but they gave up and left.
How many days are they going to the parks? Are they commuting an hour each way every day? Maybe they could look into a value resort and rent the ECV from offsite. Disney $50 per day (if they have one) Offsite around $31 and they have it at the resort to use.

You might try calling Buena Vista scooters , or Randy's or Walker and asking if a day by day rental is possible. Ask if they could deliver it on property (a handicap parking lot?) and pick it up each day. I don't know if this is possible, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My mother, 80, and her cousins, in their 70s, will be traveling to WDW by car. Two of the three will need to rent ECVs at the parks. Is there any way for them to get help from their car to the ECV rental locations in the parks?
I have parked at TTC, in the handicapped area, for MK a number of times and never has there been a wheelchair to use to the gate in the chair area

They do have a handicapped parking tag. Dropping two of them off at the door might work for Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, because the distance to the ECV rental is not too long. However, the walk at EPCOT is a bit too long and the trip to Magic Kingdom is far too long. It would make their travels much easier if there was a way to get someone to take them from the parking lot to the ECV rental area. There are wheelchairs but they don't have anyone to push them.

Plus, you can't rely upon the wheelchairs being available in the parking lots - reports are that they are hit-or-miss at best, and often none are to be found.

If they were staying at a WDW Resort, the walk from the buses would be fairly reasonable, but there would still be no one to push them in a wheelchair if needed; they would have to rent ECVs to keep with them at the Resort. But that's not happening, so...

Sounds like they need to take along two able-bodied "pushers" and then rent a couple of wheelchairs to bring in the trunk of the car.

The only other alternative I can imagine for them would be to bring along 2 Rollators (for the 2 who need to rent ECVs) which will hopefully help get them to the ECV rental area (where they could leave the Rollators while renting the ECVs)

Please remind them that they can't reserve the Parks rentals - it's first come, first served, so there is always a chance that they will have to wait for one (or more) to be returned.

The easiest answer is just skip the two harder parks, MK and Epcot. You can spend more time in the other two parks on multiple days. They can go to Sea World instead.

As stated above, maybe consider staying on property could work out for the harder parks. Two nights at a value resort would cover you. Then, you could rent from an offsite scooter rental and use Disney transportation. Some rental companies require a 3-day minimum; so, be careful on that count.

You can rent a rollator. They have seats; so, you can stop and rest as needed and then leave the rollator at the rental place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter