HELP! Ironing on a design w/out formica?

kahluacream

Mouseketeer
Hi DISigns experts,

I'm new here! All of the wonderful t-shirt pictures on this board have inspired me to create some for my family's upcoming trip. From what I've read so far, formica is the best surface to use when ironing designs. What do you use if you don't have any formica? :confused3 Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!

bengalbelle said:
I ironed on top of my dryer :)

Hey, that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that one. I'll have to remember that when I do my other shirts.

I used a wood cutting board and my ironing board.

We have a smooth glass top stove and that is what I am going to TRY. (If anyone has tried it and it doesn't work, let me know ASAP! ;) )
Of course, I have to make extra sure there is not any grease on it (I'll probably clean it off 3 times :scared: before putting a shirt on it even though we keep it squeaky clean anyway)

What are your kitchen counters made of? If they are smooth and heat resistant, I would think they would work...

TravelinGal said:
What are your kitchen counters made of? If they are smooth and heat resistant, I would think they would work...

My kitchen counters are Corian. I know they're heat resistant, but was hesitant to try them because my directions specifically said not to iron on granite... I was thinking that granite and Corian are sort of similar????

Has anyone had success ironing on their Corian countertops?

If not, thanks for the other suggestions here. :thumbsup2 I wanted to experiment by ironing a design onto an old t-shirt after my kids go to bed tonight. We'll see how it goes....

kahluacream said:
My kitchen counters are Corian. I know they're heat resistant, but was hesitant to try them because my directions specifically said not to iron on granite... I was thinking that granite and Corian are sort of similar????

Has anyone had success ironing on their Corian countertops?

If not, thanks for the other suggestions here. :thumbsup2 I wanted to experiment by ironing a design onto an old t-shirt after my kids go to bed tonight. We'll see how it goes....

I wouldn't do it on Corian for one reason: they are too darn expensive to fix if something bad happened!!!!!!

I also used my ironing board with a big wood cutting board on it. Don't use the ironing board directly because that disperses the heat and it won't leave a good transfer.

I am hyper paranoid about my corian so I wouldn't dream of it!!!

I used my big Boos butcher block on the floor in my den so I could lean over the iron and put my weight into it.

I have big 12 by 12 tiles in my bathroom so I used those. I used the grout lines to help me keep everything in line, so that was helpful. Being on the floor made it easier to really bear down on the iron with my body weight when it comes to that part. Two cavets: It's hard on the knees so put down a towel to kneel on and DO NOT allow the iron or design to go over a grout line. It will make the strangest mark on your shirt that won't come out. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of the finished product!

I used an ironing board with a pampered chef pizza stone on top.... plenty hard, and obviously can handle the heat! It worked perfectly! :goodvibes

Our cabinet guy was great enough to make me a tiny cutting board out of the solid surface material. I used that and it was just fine. Wrapped the pillow case around that. I used that when my computer desk formica got too hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter