Help me buy a new TV

leebee

DIS Veteran
(Old-person warning... I am techno-stupid, don't even own a cell phone, and need things explained in words of one syllable...)

We need a new TV and are fed up with Spectrum and their exorbitant prices, so we're planning on cutting the cable at the same time. Our current TV is 20+ years old; it's a behemoth that has more than served its purpose. However, technology has flown past me and now I'm not sure what to buy! I was going to get a TV that would take a Roku stick, but then saw that some TVs list "Roku" on them. Does this mean they automatically receive streaming- i.e., have the Roku stick "built in?" Someone also asked why don't we just get a smart TV. How do I know if a TV is "smart" and does that mean we'd automatically pick streaming without needing any sticks or boxes or anything? Can someone explain the differences? Also, we have a flat-screen tv upstairs that isn't "smart" but is only a couple of years old. What do I need to get so that this TV can also receive signal?

(If it matters, we are going to go with Sling for our streaming services as we can receive more than one stream simultaneously.)

Smart tv. If you have wifi a smart tv will load all the apps so you can watch anything that's on an app easily. I've got cable (Verizon, not an option up your way), and I can easily switch from my box to Disney+ (free for a year with Verizon wireless), Netflix (I pay for this one), Amazon (need it for Prime shipping), Hulu (my dd's account). There are lots of others as well. I was impressed that I was able to add Disney+ easily to the apps.

I have a Samsung. Love it. In the past, I had an LG that had vertical stripes in it as soon as the warranty expired. I also have a Panasonic that is 15-20 years old. That's still a great tv, but they don't make them anymore. I bought mine at Best Buy. I didn't like the first one I bought there, so I returned it and got the Samsung. Good luck. Superbowl weekend - should be good sales!

Sounds like you definitely want a Smart TV. We are big fans of Samsung. We bought a new TV right around Christmas. It is a 55 inch Samsung Smart TV with all kinds of features and it was just $300 at Best Buy.

While I agree a Smart TV would be advisable, make sure you do some research. I have two Samsung SmartTVs, one three years old and one two. The three year old one won't do Disney+ (but will do Prime, Netflix, and Hulu among others), the two year old one will. I would guess newer TVs would automatically update their streaming apps, but wouldn't want to assume.

Roku TVs are just Smart TVs.

(Old-person warning... I am techno-stupid, don't even own a cell phone, and need things explained in words of one syllable...)

We need a new TV and are fed up with Spectrum and their exorbitant prices, so we're planning on cutting the cable at the same time. Our current TV is 20+ years old; it's a behemoth that has more than served its purpose. However, technology has flown past me and now I'm not sure what to buy! I was going to get a TV that would take a Roku stick, but then saw that some TVs list "Roku" on them. Does this mean they automatically receive streaming- i.e., have the Roku stick "built in?" Someone also asked why don't we just get a smart TV. How do I know if a TV is "smart" and does that mean we'd automatically pick streaming without needing any sticks or boxes or anything? Can someone explain the differences? Also, we have a flat-screen tv upstairs that isn't "smart" but is only a couple of years old. What do I need to get so that this TV can also receive signal?

(If it matters, we are going to go with Sling for our streaming services as we can receive more than one stream simultaneously.)
Smart TV has been explained pretty thoroughly upthread. From one Luddite to another, I highly suggest you pay a few extra bucks to have the new TV delivered and set up. This is especially good if you get it from Best Buy. They will be sure everything is working properly (wifi, DVD player if you have one and whatever else) and make sure you know how it all works. Money very well spent!

While I agree a Smart TV would be advisable, make sure you do some research. I have two Samsung SmartTVs, one three years old and one two. The three year old one won't do Disney+ (but will do Prime, Netflix, and Hulu among others), the two year old one will. I would guess newer TVs would automatically update their streaming apps, but wouldn't want to assume.

Roku TVs are just Smart TVs.

That's strange. My four year old one has it. I might have had to load it myself though.

I just had to get a new TV, like you I am a bit older and was a little confused. My nephew works for a cable company and advised me to get Samsung or LG. I opted for Samsung as my LG, while it works we cannot turn it off or it takes forever to get the picture back. My nephew also advised we get Roku as did my son. We will be getting a Roku separate as the Roku TV's cost so much more than a regular smart TV and the device is only $30 to $100 to buy separately depending on what you want with it.

I think all TV's sold today are smart TV's from what I saw. It was a little confusing. I am waiting on my son or grandson to come over and hook everything up for me.

Oh, good. I thought it was just me. Apparently, no, it's the educational system for Baby Boomers. Anyway, I asked a similar question about a year ago, on the Budget Board. I ended up with a 43" TCL* Smart TV. It does "stuff" but I still haven't tried any of the features. I need to figure out Hulu, and rejoin Prime.

Anyway, I'm happy with the tv. If you're willing to buy open box, wait until next week.

*The brand Ellen gives away, but that's not why I chose it.

I would suggest picking a tv you like whether it is “smart” or not. As long as you can use a Roku stick with it, you will be able to stream shows.

The reason I say this is because we have several TVs in the house. Some Smart and others are older regular TVs. One Smart TV we bought for my son several years ago cannot be updated to accept the new apps needed to watch shows. It is always acting up and is a pain.

With our regular TVs, we have either Apple TV or Roku stick and they work fine.

If you are not the type of person to buy new electronics every couple years, keep in mind it is cheaper to buy an updated Roku or Apple TV device than a new tv.

I know with my IPhone 7, after next year they are saying it won’t accept new apps that will be coming out and I will be forced to upgrade to a newer version even thought the phone works great. I have a fear this will be happening with Smart TVs down the road as well.

We recently purchased a smart TV. It's an LG and we really like it.
It's very easy to access Netflix, A. Prime and Disney +.

I would suggest picking a tv you like whether it is “smart” or not. As long as you can use a Roku stick with it, you will be able to stream shows.

The reason I say this is because we have several TVs in the house. Some Smart and others are older regular TVs. One Smart TV we bought for my son several years ago cannot be updated to accept the new apps needed to watch shows. It is always acting up and is a pain.

With our regular TVs, we have either Apple TV or Roku stick and they work fine.

If you are not the type of person to buy new electronics every couple years, keep in mind it is cheaper to buy an updated Roku or Apple TV device than a new tv.

I know with my IPhone 7, after next year they are saying it won’t accept new apps that will be coming out and I will be forced to upgrade to a newer version even thought the phone works great. I have a fear this will be happening with Smart TVs down the road as well.

This is the route I take. And the last time my ROKU started to have problem, I got an offer from ROKU to get their 4K version for $50. They last about 4ish years. I added a microSD card into my existing one to get more life out of it. Very comparable to smart phones.

If you want cheap, go with TLC. If you want a really good picture, go with an OLED. And don’t confuse that with QLED. Finally, get yourself a 4K capable ROKU. You should be able to get all of this at Costco.

I will second the TLC. They have Roku built in and give a really good picture for the price. I would try to go with the 6 series or higher, but if you don't care too much about HDR/Dolby Vision then I you don't have to worry about it. Roku is much better than the other "Smart TV" platforms as support can vary.

This is the week to buy a TV, supposedly, because of the super bowl coming up next week.

My DS bought me a 65" Elements TV for $250 on Thanksgiving night. I didn't need a new TV, and would have bought larger than 65" if I was buying it for myself. If this TV gets 2-4 years, it was money well spent. It works great and the picture is better than my old Sharp TV. I used to be a fan of Samsung, but have fallen out of love with them because of the one I have in my bedroom that has burned in images. I'd expect that with the cheap Elements TV, but not from Samsung. It's a 32" model, BTW.

I love having the Roku built in. I don't have to change the input from one HDMI port to another in order to access Netflix, etc.

I just had to get a new TV, like you I am a bit older and was a little confused. My nephew works for a cable company and advised me to get Samsung or LG. I opted for Samsung as my LG, while it works we cannot turn it off or it takes forever to get the picture back. My nephew also advised we get Roku as did my son. We will be getting a Roku separate as the Roku TV's cost so much more than a regular smart TV and the device is only $30 to $100 to buy separately depending on what you want with it.

I think all TV's sold today are smart TV's from what I saw. It was a little confusing. I am waiting on my son or grandson to come over and hook everything up for me.
We just bought a new 65 inch smart TV a few weeks ago to replace our 13 year old 40 inch. Not all TV's are smart, but a lot of them are.

If you're looking for a budget model, now's a good time because there are usually good prices around the Super Bowl.

In Feb 2018 we bought a 49" TCL 4K TV with built-in Roku for about $350 IIRC. Picture quality is good and the Roku feature works great. We also look the headphone feature where you can plug headphones into the remote and get the sound that way and not disturb others.

We just bought a new 65 inch smart TV a few weeks ago to replace our 13 year old 40 inch. Not all TV's are smart, but a lot of them are.

Everywhere I looked only had Smart TV's unless it was a small TV, under 40 inches, that I would put on a small counter. I didn't really care as I knew that was what I wanted.

DH is in the same boat, don't feel bad. We have a smart device hooked to our tv, and he has to remember to "change the brain" as he calls it (aka the input) on the tv remote itself to that device in order to view any of the streaming services. So, in our case, we have DISH (therefore a DISH remote), and he has to press "TV" then press "input" then scroll down to "Amazon Firestick" (our streaming device). When he wants to return to watching the DISH, he does tv/input/dish. It really isn't that hard, once you get used to it.

I still feel this is easier/better than buying a smart tv, because it's cheaper to update the device than it is to buy a whole new tv every X number of years. My DM has bought a new smart tv every two years basically since they've become available simply because as the tv model ages, it doesn't continue to support the app updates, unfortunately.

Terri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter