Help me buy a new TV

Try to find something you like at Costco, they usually have a good selection of the top tv brands. They extend the warranty by a year, and they have a generous return policy.

Try to find something you like at Costco, they usually have a good selection of the top tv brands. They extend the warranty by a year, and they have a generous return policy.
That's where we bought ours. :)

I ordered on-line, they delivered it to the house (I think there's a $10 shipping fee.) I think you can buy white glove setup too--a little over $100 (I think?)
Pfft. We were the peons that drove to the store, picked it out, took it to the checkout, hauled it to the car, drove it home, hauled it out of the car, took it out of the box, put the legs together, put it on the entertainment center...and luckily, it turned on!! :p :rotfl:

We watch for when our local store has free delivery and set up. (It does cost 15.00 for them to haul away the old TV.)
They often offer this in Dec and Jan, and occasionally other times.

We watch for when our local store has free delivery and set up. (It does cost 15.00 for them to haul away the old TV.)
They often offer this in Dec and Jan, and occasionally other times.
I didn't know they'd haul away the old tv! I paid a couple of high school students to get it out the basement and drag it out to the curb for "large item pickup day." I told them I didn't care if they dropped it, just don't scrape the wall with it.:flower:

I think Costco sometimes has some perks with various tv brands too (i.e. spend $X on a Samsung and get bonus.)

@leebee - WCVB a few minutes ago had a "best time to buy" segment. The two best ones for a television are Black Friday, and February until the Super Bowl. So, all day Saturday, and early Sunday afternoon :rotfl2:

I didn't know they'd haul away the old tv! I paid a couple of high school students to get it out the basement and drag it out to the curb for "large item pickup day." I told them I didn't care if they dropped it, just don't scrape the wall with it.:flower:

I think Costco sometimes has some perks with various tv brands too (i.e. spend $X on a Samsung and get bonus.)
I like your solution for disposal. Great idea!. :idea:
Costco is the best! Sometimes too good. :laughing:

No Costco here, just Sam's and BJ's (and we aren't BJs members anymore).
I think we are going TV shopping on Saturday!

Lowest I found while running around today was $2.93. And 2 of my cars need gas.

Before placing a tv at the curb, please check to make sure that they will be picked up. Many areas do not take them as they need to be taken to a specially licensed facility for disposal.

I don't recommend using the "apps" on any SmartTV, they are rarely ever updated and you will find as new features come out they are old versions and out dated. A good example is the newly released Disney+ only works on a few newer TVs.

Buy a TV that you like, and then get a separate device; Roku or AppleTV gets my vote. I personally do not like the FireTV because of how Amazon promotes their own shows and apps. I want a clean easy to use interface.

To cut the cord and stream you need a good WiFi setup or if you are keeping Spectrum for your internet you may want your Roku or AppleTV hooked up with Ethernet instead of WiFi. In that case you don't want a Roku "stick" though I think they have adapters. You will get a better stream if you have it wired. Depending on where your modem is located this is easy, but for many WiFi works fine.

Before placing a tv at the curb, please check to make sure that they will be picked up. Many areas do not take them as they need to be taken to a specially licensed facility for disposal.
Okay, how did you quote me from another post in this post? As to your comment, not sure many cities do curbside pickup of electronics anymore. But at least here, Goodwill is a designated e-waste site.

If you want cheap, go with TLC. If you want a really good picture, go with an OLED. And don’t confuse that with QLED. Finally, get yourself a 4K capable ROKU. You should be able to get all of this at Costco.
I just bought a 55" Roku 4K TLC from Costco last month. We love it. We used a Roku stick previously and the new TV is much easier to use. We have a number of apps on it including NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, NBC, ABC, CBS etc all on it. This is the one: https://www.costco.com/tcl-55"-class---6-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100515013.html

I don't recommend using the "apps" on any SmartTV, they are rarely ever updated and you will find as new features come out they are old versions and out dated. A good example is the newly released Disney+ only works on a few newer TVs.

Buy a TV that you like, and then get a separate device; Roku or AppleTV gets my vote. I personally do not like the FireTV because of how Amazon promotes their own shows and apps. I want a clean easy to use interface.

To cut the cord and stream you need a good WiFi setup or if you are keeping Spectrum for your internet you may want your Roku or AppleTV hooked up with Ethernet instead of WiFi. In that case you don't want a Roku "stick" though I think they have adapters. You will get a better stream if you have it wired. Depending on where your modem is located this is easy, but for many WiFi works fine.

I definitely agree. Using Roku or Apple TV assures more compatibility with more apps and easier updates. You can get TVs with Roku built in though too.

No Costco here, just Sam's and BJ's (and we aren't BJs members anymore).
I think we are going TV shopping on Saturday!
Best Buy? If you're looking for cheap there's always Walmart.

I'm going to push back on the "Smart TV" thing, too, only because of the problems we've run into with ours. We bought one in ...2006? 2009? And the company no longer really supports the software in that particular model since it's so old. Like, I think the Netflix app doesn't work anymore. I know it didn't work for years. I prefer just hooking your TV to a Roku or XBox or whatever than rely on the tv itself.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter