Help me wrap my brain around touring DLR efficiently!

GatorMama

DIS Veteran
I feel like I've read every post there is here, I've read DisneylandDaily, I'm in a few FB groups and read. I have friends that are locals but they're probably tired of my questions. As a WDW veteran, I KNOW I'm trying to plan more than I have to, but that's honestly a huge part of the fun for me. Not having been to DL, I don't know what to expect about some things. Give me your wisdom, please!

We will be touring parks for four days between Thurs. 3/19 and Mon. 3/23, leaving one day for rest/DTD/resort dining and exploration. Currently thinking we will use Saturday to skip parks. But open to other suggestions if you've got a good reason for me to switch my day off to Sunday. All of these days are expected to be VERY crowded. We are staying offsite and using Armed Forces Salute tickets, so we do not have Early Entry or Magic Morning. If we keep this plan, our only park day that DCA won't have EE is Thursday. We currently have Breakfast with Minnie at Plaza Inn booked that morning before the park would be open to us otherwise. Should I keep that plan in place or move it to another day, later in the morning, so that Thurs morning we can rope drop DCA? That would give us the other three days to attempt to get a boarding group for ROTR.

In general, we like to go go go in the mornings, take an afternoon break around 12-1 until 4 or so and then return to parks for more rides and evening entertainment. I do currently have one other meal booked but can move it if I need to. Im waiting to book the others until Ive figured out for certain which day we will take off.

Thank you so much for any help you've got, DISers!

1. it will not be VERY crowded, perhaps in the ROTR concept, but the rest of Disneyland will only be crowded and will be doable as spring break is 8 weeks long in California, so spring break is not a factor
2. The current material you have been reading about ROTR reservations should be reexamined before your trip, maybe it will not be so much of a crap-shoot as it is now.
3. Max-pass....it solves all your worry about attractions and you will have no problems touring efficiently

1. it will not be VERY crowded, perhaps in the ROTR concept, but the rest of Disneyland will only be crowded and will be doable as spring break is 8 weeks long in California, so spring break is not a factor
2. The current material you have been reading about ROTR reservations should be reexamined before your trip, maybe it will not be so much of a crap-shoot as it is now.
3. Max-pass....it solves all your worry about attractions and you will have no problems touring efficiently

We ARE getting MaxPass which does relieve some stress. Seeing crowd levels of 9 and 20 on TP is not encouraging though. That said, it does seem like even "longer than normal" waits at DL are shorter than an average wait at WDW.

if it were me I would change your reservation and opt to go into CA at rope drop. I love going straight to Toy Story and riding 2-4 times in a row with no or almost no wait. That doesn’t happen on days with hotel guests already in the park. And with Maxpass you can book your first FP as you are waiting for rope drop. (or so I’ve read in other posts. its been a few years and we did not know you could do that then)

I like to plan Minnie’s during a DL early entry. They let you in and if you finish you can get into the parks a few minutes early. At least we did 4 years ago.

I sure hope that you are right. We did WDW/ Universal Orlando last Spring break, so this couldn’t be any worse. We did have a great time, but it’s time to try DL for Spring Break.

A few thoughts:

1. Touring Plans is not nearly as accurate at DL compared to Ride Max (similar paid service as TP).

2. Pretty much all online crowd estimators for DL are usually not accurate.

3. There are things you can do (which you already are planning to do) which will help you deal with spring break crowds.

4. You're not going to be there the week right before Easter, so that's good.

The thing with DL is that the early bird gets the worm. You totally should do rope drop daily. I'd recommend the following routine:

• up early and in line at main gate 45 min before regular park opening
  • if you can afford it, purchase Max Pass.
  • Get your first FP using Max Pass as soon as you all enter the park. Set an alarm on your phone for the next time that you can get FP for a ride. Follow that routine all the rest of the day.
  • In DL, focus first on Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. If focusing on Tomorrowland, go on Autopia in the first hour that the park is open.
  • If meeting Mickey is on the to do list, be at the entrance to Toon Town 1 hour after regular park opening. That's when Toon Town opens. Walk straight to Mickey's house and meet him with almost no wait. Then walk on the Roger Rabbit ride.
  • At DCA, I'd probably get a FP first for RSR and walk straight back to Paradise Pier to go on Toy Story Mania first. Then I'd head back to Carsland and go on Luigi's and Mater's (in that order because Luigi's seems like it loads slower than Mater's). When you can get another FP, we usually get Soarin' next. If GOTG and Incredicoaster are must do's, then get FP for those at some point in the day.
  • At DCA, good time fillers (and usually little wait) are Monsters, Inc, Animation Academy, Turtle Talk, Ariel's, Golden Zephyr.
  • Eat lunch in the parks, then leave by 1 pm. You'll notice by now that crowds are heavier. First two hours that the parks are open are like the golden hours. It's wonderful.
  • In DL, we try to get on IJ with FP before lunch. Reduces odds of a ride break down.
  • We also try to get on Splash Mtn or BTMRR before lunch or ride it just after lunch.
  • To save your tired feet, you can ride a Main Street vehicle from the castle hub to Town Square...that counts as an attraction, too.
If you're at DL and starting your day in Fantasyland, here's the approximate order that we usually go on Fantasyland rides. Note: we usually skip Peter Pan.
- Dumbo
- Mr Toad
- Alice in Wonderland
- Mad Tea Party
- Matterhorn
- Snow White (but that's close now for refurb I think)
- Pinocchio
- Storybook Land Canal Boats (usually we skip this unless I can convince my family to go on it w/me)

We usually save It's A Small World for later in the day. I've noticed that it often has FP for it.

While we're going on those Fantasyland rides, I'll often select Star Tours as our 1st FP. Then next FP is IJ, followed by HM, Splash Mtn, and BTMRR. If we go on Space Mtn, it's because I've strong armed my kids to going on it w/me and I will time that FP so we can ride it around the 5pm time slot later in the day.

After Fantasyland, we'll go on Star Tours and then Buzz (if the wait is <10 min, otherwise we do it later w/a FP). Then we head to Adventureland and go in Tiki Room and/or Jungle Cruise to kill time before our IJ FP window starts.

After IJ, then we go on Pirates and HM (with a FP). Then Splash Mtn & Winnie the Pooh. Then lunch. And BTMRR after that. Then we leave the park.

So depending on timing and bathroom breaks and such, we usually get on 12-18 rides before we leave DL park in the ~ 1:00 pm time slot.

If getting on ROTR is a priority, then make sure of course you've been scanned into DL before official park opening time and follow all the tips in the ROTR thread to increase your odds of getting a ROTR boarding group. Adjust your touring plan accordingly based on what boarding group you get.

I feel like I've read every post there is here, I've read DisneylandDaily, I'm in a few FB groups and read. I have friends that are locals but they're probably tired of my questions. As a WDW veteran, I KNOW I'm trying to plan more than I have to, but that's honestly a huge part of the fun for me. Not having been to DL, I don't know what to expect about some things. Give me your wisdom, please!

We will be touring parks for four days between Thurs. 3/19 and Mon. 3/23, leaving one day for rest/DTD/resort dining and exploration. Currently thinking we will use Saturday to skip parks. But open to other suggestions if you've got a good reason for me to switch my day off to Sunday. All of these days are expected to be VERY crowded. We are staying offsite and using Armed Forces Salute tickets, so we do not have Early Entry or Magic Morning. If we keep this plan, our only park day that DCA won't have EE is Thursday. We currently have Breakfast with Minnie at Plaza Inn booked that morning before the park would be open to us otherwise. Should I keep that plan in place or move it to another day, later in the morning, so that Thurs morning we can rope drop DCA? That would give us the other three days to attempt to get a boarding group for ROTR.

In general, we like to go go go in the mornings, take an afternoon break around 12-1 until 4 or so and then return to parks for more rides and evening entertainment. I do currently have one other meal booked but can move it if I need to. Im waiting to book the others until Ive figured out for certain which day we will take off.

Thank you so much for any help you've got, DISers!

I think that you should keep your early breakfast at the Plaza Inn because then you'll be in the parks and you can try to get a ROTR boarding group even from within the Plaza Inn in case you're not done eating breakfast before official park opening time.

We ARE getting MaxPass which does relieve some stress. Seeing crowd levels of 9 and 20 on TP is not encouraging though. That said, it does seem like even "longer than normal" waits at DL are shorter than an average wait at WDW.
Adding to your list of reading material, read this thread: Most accurate crowd calendars? Seriously. crowd calendars are a WDW tool/resource and not very reliable for DLR. Don't plan your trip depending on the information you get there. We've had too many frustrated and disappointed people venting and dumping here because they based all their expectations on what they read in the crowd calendars, then came here and found... crowds! Far better, to ask here first, do your research and planning, then get ready to go with the DLR flow and let the magic happen! That's how to have a great DLR trip no matter what the crowds are like.

Adding to your list of reading material, read this thread: Most accurate crowd calendars? Seriously. crowd calendars are a WDW tool/resource and not very reliable for DLR. Don't plan your trip depending on the information you get there. We've had too many frustrated and disappointed people venting and dumping here because they based all their expectations on what they read in the crowd calendars, then came here and found... crowds! Far better, to ask here first, do your research and planning, then get ready to go with the DLR flow and let the magic happen! That's how to have a great DLR trip no matter what the crowds are like.

thanks! I definitely expect crowds. No matter what.

A few thoughts:

1. Touring Plans is not nearly as accurate at DL compared to Ride Max (similar paid service as TP).

2. Pretty much all online crowd estimators for DL are usually not accurate.

3. There are things you can do (which you already are planning to do) which will help you deal with spring break crowds.

4. You're not going to be there the week right before Easter, so that's good.

The thing with DL is that the early bird gets the worm. You totally should do rope drop daily. I'd recommend the following routine:

• up early and in line at main gate 45 min before regular park opening
  • if you can afford it, purchase Max Pass.
  • Get your first FP using Max Pass as soon as you all enter the park. Set an alarm on your phone for the next time that you can get FP for a ride. Follow that routine all the rest of the day.
  • In DL, focus first on Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. If focusing on Tomorrowland, go on Autopia in the first hour that the park is open.
  • If meeting Mickey is on the to do list, be at the entrance to Toon Town 1 hour after regular park opening. That's when Toon Town opens. Walk straight to Mickey's house and meet him with almost no wait. Then walk on the Roger Rabbit ride.
  • At DCA, I'd probably get a FP first for RSR and walk straight back to Paradise Pier to go on Toy Story Mania first. Then I'd head back to Carsland and go on Luigi's and Mater's (in that order because Luigi's seems like it loads slower than Mater's). When you can get another FP, we usually get Soarin' next. If GOTG and Incredicoaster are must do's, then get FP for those at some point in the day.
  • At DCA, good time fillers (and usually little wait) are Monsters, Inc, Animation Academy, Turtle Talk, Ariel's, Golden Zephyr.
  • Eat lunch in the parks, then leave by 1 pm. You'll notice by now that crowds are heavier. First two hours that the parks are open are like the golden hours. It's wonderful.
  • In DL, we try to get on IJ with FP before lunch. Reduces odds of a ride break down.
  • We also try to get on Splash Mtn or BTMRR before lunch or ride it just after lunch.
  • To save your tired feet, you can ride a Main Street vehicle from the castle hub to Town Square...that counts as an attraction, too.
If you're at DL and starting your day in Fantasyland, here's the approximate order that we usually go on Fantasyland rides. Note: we usually skip Peter Pan.
- Dumbo
- Mr Toad
- Alice in Wonderland
- Mad Tea Party
- Matterhorn
- Snow White (but that's close now for refurb I think)
- Pinocchio
- Storybook Land Canal Boats (usually we skip this unless I can convince my family to go on it w/me)

We usually save It's A Small World for later in the day. I've noticed that it often has FP for it.

While we're going on those Fantasyland rides, I'll often select Star Tours as our 1st FP. Then next FP is IJ, followed by HM, Splash Mtn, and BTMRR. If we go on Space Mtn, it's because I've strong armed my kids to going on it w/me and I will time that FP so we can ride it around the 5pm time slot later in the day.

After Fantasyland, we'll go on Star Tours and then Buzz (if the wait is <10 min, otherwise we do it later w/a FP). Then we head to Adventureland and go in Tiki Room and/or Jungle Cruise to kill time before our IJ FP window starts.

After IJ, then we go on Pirates and HM (with a FP). Then Splash Mtn & Winnie the Pooh. Then lunch. And BTMRR after that. Then we leave the park.

So depending on timing and bathroom breaks and such, we usually get on 12-18 rides before we leave DL park in the ~ 1:00 pm time slot.

If getting on ROTR is a priority, then make sure of course you've been scanned into DL before official park opening time and follow all the tips in the ROTR thread to increase your odds of getting a ROTR boarding group. Adjust your touring plan accordingly based on what boarding group you get.
You rock!! Thanks! We definitely want to ride TSMM but I don’t mind getting a FP for it if we can’t get in before a big wait. BUT that’s also one my whole family would be more inclined fo wait for if we needed to (we’ve ripe dropped it in WDW for years, grabbed FP for it and then waited in a long standby line to ride again. I’d rather focus on things we don’t have at all in FL. We will also have rider switch to contend with too. Our littlest one is RIGHT AT 40” and we aren’t sure what will frighten him or not. He’s definitely a wildcard in our family. (Haunted Mansion bothers him not at all, older two cried last time. 🤷🏼‍♀️ But he hasn’t had as many thrill rides as them so we just don’t know how he will react.)

When we don’t have early entry we always rope drop at the opposite park. So if DCA has early entry we rope drop in DL and vice versa. I feel like you are at a bit of a disadvantage in terms of wait times if you go where others have already had an hour in the parks, especially at DL because more people can take advantage as it’s not just limited to resort guests.

When we rope drop in DCA we book our first pass upon entry which is usually RSR then head to the pier to do TSMM and Incredicoaster right away.
At DL we get Star Tours FP upon entry then head to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain first. Then Star Tours and Buzz.
I disagree with the previous post saying to ride Autopia within the first hour. It’s a waste of time in my opinion. That first hour (first couple hours) should be for headliners before the crowds descend.
Once the park we’re in starts getting packed we usually hop to the opposite park.
Remember to stack you passes, you can do it from either park and from your hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter