Help! My fiancé and I don’t like the same things at WDW!

cwong2k

Earning My Ears
I’m a huge ride junkie but my fiancé loves shopping (if we did everything she wanted, we’d be in a gift shop all day long) and taking selfies. Being as it’s a vacation, we want to be together of course, but our interests are so different that it’s hard for the other to enjoy it. Anyone have suggestions?

Ugh. My advice will split you up. Shopping can happen on shopDisney, Disney Springs, eBay, Etsy, the outlets, and at your resort. It’s a waste of a park ticket if you are shopping more than 1-2 a day.

I like a full mix of rides, shows, food..and a little shopping.

It would drive me crazy. All I can say is I am so sorry. 😂😂😂

Of course, life is more than Disney vacations and I wish you the warmest of congratulations and best of luck.

Last edited:
Compromise. Make lists of things you each MUST do and respect those things. Maybe spend half the day doing your stuff, half on her stuff or say “we’ll spend an hour shopping but then we’ll ride a few rides” and alternate. Not to be rude but if you two can’t compromise on and enjoy a vacation together then good luck on a marriage lol!

I notice a lot of “selfies” being taken on Disney property…
What does she do with those selfies? Does she have ”followers “ ?
You can ride the rides and she can take selfies in the gift shops and then meet up for lunch or dinner .

Take her to the spa
Spend some time at the pool
You can go on the rides with the kids in a few years.....

Being a couple doesn't mean that you have to be joined at the hip. My spouse and I agree on at least one vacation destination together a year (Europe, beach destination, cruise, etc). The rest of my vacation time is usually spent at Disney parks while his is spent backpacking. It's worked for us for over 30 years of marriage. Together time is great but so is the freedom to do something that you enjoy without dragging a reluctant spouse along.
Disney parks are a great vacation destination for doing things separately and joining up later. You ride the thrill ride while she checks out the gift shop, meet up at the exit. When my spouse goes to WDW, he usually ends up vegging at Nomad Lounge part of the day and I meet up with him there.

I'd pick some rides you really want to try with her. Narrow that down with her. For other things she is not interested in, suggest she do some shopping then.

Just to clarify, I like shopping and I never end up doing it at the theme parks. I am "probably" older than you and your fiancee, and I have kids, so my attention gets diverted very quickly. I always say I want to look and then it's a mad dash through the store because the rest of the group wants to get to a ride or parade, etc. I like spending the time with them.

If I was by myself with spouse, it would be easier for me to split up and figure out a plan. I do think you need a compromise. Gotta figure that out before marrying! 8-)

(if this is the only time you guys will be going together, then definitely make a serious plan so you all enjoy. If you plan to return frequently, it's less important.)

Honestly, even if she likes shopping, she's going to get bored fast. I find that 90% of the items are everywhere. Hit up the big stores on the way in/out of the park and all the ride gift shops, you'll have your bases covered.

I used to love perusing the gift shops, but then I had kids and it's a nightmare going in there with them :rotfl2:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with doing your own thing for a couple hours. Go to a park together, do one ride and one shop together, then split up. You go ride, they go shop, meet in two hours at a restaurant or something. Then discuss your experiences.

Dragging someone to do something they dislike is miserable. Some compromise is good, but sometimes it’s best to just take a bit of time apart to each do exactly what you enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter