Help! Need compatibility info

FreddyMercury

Former Cast Member
I’m very new to this game and I’ve been researching a new lens to buy. I was really leaning towards the Sigma 30mm 1.4. And then I found that Sigma has a 16mm 1.4 and that sounds like something I’d be more interested in. Here are my questions: Should I go for the 16 over the 30? I like the wider FOV, but it seems like a lot more people go for the 30. But my big question that I can’t find the answer to anywhere is CAN I USE THIS LENS WITH A CANON REBEL T3I?! Is this a dumb question? I can’t find answers.

With Sigma lenses for Canon, DC means it's designed for crop sensor. DG means it's designed for full frame. Yours is a crop sensor.

To further complicate it the full frame lenses will work on a crop sensor, but crop sensor lenses won't work on a full frame (generally speaking).

I'm not familiar with the 16, so can't comment on the image quality. With regard to focal length, that's really just a matter of personal preference. I generally prefer wider, but 30 isn't bad. It's pretty close to a normal field of view to the naked eye, similar to the 50mm on a full frame.

Unfortunately, that Sigma 16mm F1.4 Contemporary lens isn't currently made in your mount. It was one of Sigma's newer lenses designed so far specifically for mirrorless mounts, with 2 versions available for Sony's E-mount and Olympus/Panasonic's M4:3 mount.
The widest current options I know of for Canon that are F1.8 or faster are 24mm F1.4 lenses - made by Canon, Sigma, and Samyang/Rokinon, plus a few 24mm F1.8 versions. You can go down to 14mm prime, but it's slower at F2.8.
I do love the Sigma 16mm F1.4 - I've for so long been stuck using 30mm or 35mm fast primes on APS-C, and always wished I could get something wider and still fast. Since I've gotten the Sigma 16mm, I have pretty much used it as my only fast prime for indoor & night & dark ride shooting.

Unfortunately, that Sigma 16mm F1.4 Contemporary lens isn't currently made in your mount. It was one of Sigma's newer lenses designed so far specifically for mirrorless mounts, with 2 versions available for Sony's E-mount and Olympus/Panasonic's M4:3 mount.
The widest current options I know of for Canon that are F1.8 or faster are 24mm F1.4 lenses - made by Canon, Sigma, and Samyang/Rokinon, plus a few 24mm F1.8 versions. You can go down to 14mm prime, but it's slower at F2.8.
I do love the Sigma 16mm F1.4 - I've for so long been stuck using 30mm or 35mm fast primes on APS-C, and always wished I could get something wider and still fast. Since I've gotten the Sigma 16mm, I have pretty much used it as my only fast prime for indoor & night & dark ride shooting.
Ah, that explains why I haven't been all over that 16mm. I wanted something wider and faster about a year ago and ended up with the Canon 28mm f/1.8. Although I do still use my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 as a prime since for whatever reason, it works on my full frame at 16mm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!