HELP!!! OKW sold out....need advice on what to do for 1 night....

denisem7180

Earning My Ears
Ok, so we're booked in November for 9 days at OKW...looks like air MAY be cheaper to arrive the day/night before leaving on a Friday and if so, looking to add on that night, but, OKW is SOLD OUT!!! Anyone ever book one night to arrive and then transfer resorts? Like I'm thinking as close to OKW as possible, so maybe book 1 night at Port Orleans or Saratoga? And if so, how did you get from that resort to your intended resort for the remainder of your stay? Thanks!!!

We always do a resort for a day or two for my husband to rest since we drive 15 hrs straight. This time we are doing AKL for a couple of days. We don't mind it. The kids get to enjoy the animals and the pool and then Disney moves everything for us. The only thing for us that is a hassle is that we have insulin that has to stay cold. So we run that up to the next resort right away and sign in. Then we are off to enjoy our day.

Ok, so we're booked in November for 9 days at OKW...looks like air MAY be cheaper to arrive the day/night before leaving on a Friday and if so, looking to add on that night, but, OKW is SOLD OUT!!! Anyone ever book one night to arrive and then transfer resorts? Like I'm thinking as close to OKW as possible, so maybe book 1 night at Port Orleans or Saratoga? And if so, how did you get from that resort to your intended resort for the remainder of your stay? Thanks!!!
We do it often to save on DVC points or if our resort is sold out for the first night. Depending on when you are arriving at MCO, you may be better off retrieving your luggage from the carousel and staying in an airport hotel. Then just board the DME bus to OKW in the early morning. Your villa is not likely to be ready but you can store your luggage with Bell Services and be on your way. When you do get into your villa, just call Bell Services and have your bags delivered (you have to be in the room, unlike DME luggage service).

If you're arriving at MCO during the day, then the pricier option would be to book one of the Value Resort rooms for the night. Disney will transfer your luggage to Bell Services at OKW. It will arrive at some point in the late afternoon but you will still have to call to have it delivered to your villa and you will still need to be in your room when it is delivered.

You can always stay the night before near the airport, if you are arriving late.

I like Marionette suggestion. It is the simplest thing to do. To stay off site near Disney would require transportation to and from. Staying at airport hotel, use hotel shuttle, then Magical Express to OKW.

I’ve done it. Depending on how many in your room I usually book Pop for 1 night. I take a taxi early the next morning with my luggage to transfer to next resort and do early check in leaving my luggage with Bell Service. If you choose, Disney will transfer your luggage for you. It will arrive late afternoon, after 3:00. I prefer to have my luggage at the resort for when I want it.

Thanks everyone!!! I wasn't sure if any of the disney transports would go from one hotel to another. I was shying away from staying at the airport because I'm sure the kids will be too excited and just want to get to "disney".

Depending on what time you get in, the MCO Hyatt may be the better option. Then take an early DME to the resort, leave your bags with bell services if the room isn't ready and head right out to the parks. If you get in towards the evening, you probably won't see much of the parks. If you come in earlier, then another resort at WDW might work better and get Disney to transfer your luggage in the morning.

Thanks everyone!!! I wasn't sure if any of the disney transports would go from one hotel to another. I was shying away from staying at the airport because I'm sure the kids will be too excited and just want to get to "disney".
There is NO Disney resort to resort transportation. You would have to transfer at an open theme park or at Disney Springs. Disney does not allow luggage on their buses, other than DME. If you stay at a Value resort at Disney for the first night, you could either take your luggage to Luggage Assistance at the Value in the morning for transfer to OKW. They you and your family could take the bus to the parks for the day. At the end of the day just head to OKW. Luggage is only transferred once a day in the late afternoon.
Alternately you could take a Uber/Lyft, Minnie Van or Taxi to OKW early in the morning and leave your luggage with Bell Services at OKW. It is highly unlikely that your Villa will be ready early in the morning. Just take a bus from OKW to the park for the day.

If you have the points available I would certainly add a waitlist for that one night! Make a cash reservation as a contingency plan, but November is plenty far away to give the waitlist time to work :)

Have you checked Saratoga Springs? I can’t believe they’re completely booked and it would be very convenient to hop over to Disney Springs.

If you have the points available I would certainly add a waitlist for that one night! Make a cash reservation as a contingency plan, but November is plenty far away to give the waitlist time to work :)
I actually booked through David's Vacation Rentals so essentially I used someone else's points. Even Disney directly is showing no availability for this night as well and I was told the chances of a room opening at this point are pretty slim. I just don't get what is going on that it's sold out, unless they have rooms closed for renovations? I was told this was a good week, being AFTER Jersey week, so now I'm getting nervous it's going to be super crowded.

I actually booked through David's Vacation Rentals so essentially I used someone else's points. Even Disney directly is showing no availability for this night as well and I was told the chances of a room opening at this point are pretty slim. I just don't get what is going on that it's sold out, unless they have rooms closed for renovations? I was told this was a good week, being AFTER Jersey week, so now I'm getting nervous it's going to be super crowded.

Sorry, thought maybe you were a DVC owner :( The unavailability of DVC rooms does not necessarily coincide with crowd levels. It is because that is the cheap season as far as DVC points go. And now that you are at the 7 month point any owner wanting to save/conserve points is going to try to switch to OKW or SSR. My understanding is they are doing some renovations at OKW, though, so that might also be a factor.

As far as just staying one night at a resort and then transferring, I do that frequently! Disney makes it so easy since they will transfer the luggage for you. As others have said, you will not get your luggage until later in the day, though. Sometimes I will hand over my bags and go to a park, sometimes I will keep my swim stuff and hang at the pool at the resort I will be checking into that day. Great thing about OKW, you can always take a bus from wherever you spend that first night to Disney Springs, and then take the boat to OKW.

If you want to keep your luggage with you, you can always grab a Minnie Van or Uber (cheaper!) to OKW.

I hope you have a great time. I love OKW and will actually be there June 9-13!

Thanks so much for the info!!! I wonder how much the minnie vans run. Definitely a great idea to hop over to disney springs then boat!! My kids will LOVE that! Just have to decide if I am ok with leaving my luggage. I am normally fine having them hold it AT the resort, but I worry about a transfer and it not getting there.

The Minnie Vans are now $25 and you can use the Lyft app to reserve or Bell Services can assist you. They started at $20 during the initial testing but the price has increased.

Dave

You are trying to come in early for the last weekend of F&W, Veterans Day weekend and it has been booked for weeks. And you are correct that there are no villas available for the night of Nov 9 at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!