Help Planning a day at the Magic Kingdom with dad 83 with limited mobility

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Hello,
We will be going to the MK with an extended family group including my dad who has limited mobility. He can walk for short distances, but that's it and walks pretty slowly and typically with a cane. Also, he cannot stand for long periods of time, so will need a scooter while in line. We will be renting a scooter for him at the gate at the MK (getting there at rope drop, so there should be availability - doing the MK on a party day, so moderate crowds during the day are predicted). Last time we want to the MK with him was over 18 years ago and then, he used the scooter, but would park it (like strollers are parked) and stand in lines that he could do and return to the scooter after the ride was over. This is no longer an option as legs and mobility are much worse how, so how will things work for him now? Is the best bet to just go on scooter friendly things and if so what in this list would work for him? Or can he bring the scooter up to the ride, get up and sit down on the ride, and then transport back to the scooter after the ride? Is there anything special we have to do besides just all getting in line together and him being in line with the scooter? Thank you so much for your help. Here is a list of attractions we are doing that he will participate in too if that's a possibility. He is fine waiting for the group if riding wouldn't work for him on any of these (very good natured / patient person):

Attraction list - Which of these can he do with us and how?

1-Jungle cruise
2-Haunted Mansion
3-It's a Small World
4-Mickey's PhilharMagic - With this being a show, I believe I saw places where scooter and wheelchairs can go right there and spots your party can sit - so OK on this one
5-Under the Sea -- Journey of the Little Mermaid
6-Pirates of the Caribbean
7-Enchanted Tiki Room -- show based, so am guessing this one is easy like PhilharMagic
8-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
9-Carousel of Progress -- can he just sit in scooter on moving platform just like PhilharMagic and Tiki as this is for the most part show based?

I so much appreciate your help.

In more recent trips, he has only gone to SeaWorld, but is up to check out the Magic Kingdom on this trip too which he hasn't been to in almost two decades. We just want to know what to expect and want him to know what to expect.

Hello,
We will be going to the MK with an extended family group including my dad who has limited mobility. He can walk for short distances, but that's it and walks pretty slowly and typically with a cane. Also, he cannot stand for long periods of time, so will need a scooter while in line. We will be renting a scooter for him at the gate at the MK (getting there at rope drop, so there should be availability - doing the MK on a party day, so moderate crowds during the day are predicted). Last time we want to the MK with him was over 18 years ago and then, he used the scooter, but would park it (like strollers are parked) and stand in lines that he could do and return to the scooter after the ride was over. This is no longer an option as legs and mobility are much worse how, so how will things work for him now? Is the best bet to just go on scooter friendly things and if so what in this list would work for him? Or can he bring the scooter up to the ride, get up and sit down on the ride, and then transport back to the scooter after the ride? Is there anything special we have to do besides just all getting in line together and him being in line with the scooter? Thank you so much for your help. Here is a list of attractions we are doing that he will participate in too if that's a possibility. He is fine waiting for the group if riding wouldn't work for him on any of these (very good natured / patient person):

Attraction list - Which of these can he do with us and how?

1-Jungle cruise
2-Haunted Mansion
3-It's a Small World
4-Mickey's PhilharMagic - With this being a show, I believe I saw places where scooter and wheelchairs can go right there and spots your party can sit - so OK on this one
5-Under the Sea -- Journey of the Little Mermaid
6-Pirates of the Caribbean
7-Enchanted Tiki Room -- show based, so am guessing this one is easy like PhilharMagic
8-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
9-Carousel of Progress -- can he just sit in scooter on moving platform just like PhilharMagic and Tiki as this is for the most part show based?

I so much appreciate your help.

In more recent trips, he has only gone to SeaWorld, but is up to check out the Magic Kingdom on this trip too which he hasn't been to in almost two decades. We just want to know what to expect and want him to know what to expect.

Jungle Cruise has a special boat that will allow him to sit in an attraction-provided wheelchair; it's like a ride within a ride! You do sit up very high in the center of the boat, but it works quite well!

At HM, there is a moving walkway; if he can't make the (standing) transfer to a doom buggy, you will need to let the CMs know that he has to transfer.

Small World has a wheelchair boat - again, he will transfer from the ECV to an attraction-provided chair

Philharmagic is no problem. The CMs will show you all exactly where to go.

Little Mermaid I haven't been on in ages - but someone else here will be able to tell us what the procedure is there 🙂

At Pirates, he will again transfer to an attraction provided chair for the queue. Remember that he will have to be able to step down into the boat, and stand up, and step back up out of the boat with only the assistance of his travel party (CMs are not allowed to help)

Tiki Room - you guessed right! No problem; the CMs will show you exactly where to go.

Pooh - another one I have not ridden in *ages*, so let's defer to someone who has done that more recently!

And last but never least, one of my personal favorites, because it's always a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Carousel of Progress - He will drive the ECV into the theater, and then take a regular seat. Again, CMs will give you instructions. Remember there is a small time factor at the end of the show, to get him back on the ECV and out of the theatre - otherwise you will have to go around again! 🙂

Remember that the Parks ECVs are bigger and slower than the typical rental ECV, so he may be better served by an off-site rental unit that can fit through the queues easier, and takes up less space. Most of the offsite vendors will deliver pretty much anywhere in the Orlando area; you don't have to stay at a WDW Resort Hotel to get a scooter delivered, and you can rent scooters that will break down into multiple parts to fit into a car, truck or van.

I'll just say that my wife uses a manual wheelchair and cant stand at ALL. She can ride everything in your list except for Pirates, she can't climb down that far into the boat.

Thanks so much. I think he will really enjoy the park day and be able to do all the attractions on this list. I will mention the offsite rental, but I'm guessing he's not going to want to do that. It's mostly a family visiting trip with just two theme park days -- the MK and SeaWorld.

Does any one know how to figure out the distance from monorail or bus or boat to MK front gate?

Perhaps take this number and see how well dad walks the distance at walmart , around the block, or even back and forth on the driveway without a spot to sit and rest. Plus he might have to stand and wait just to get through the gates.

Also just to note, we started using a wheelchair at disney about 4 years ago. The first couple of trips, we rented from disney. So every morning we spent about 20 mins or so waiting just to get the chair. Between the wasted time renting every day and the added distance outside the gates, we went to renting off site.

Dad has a handicapped parking pass that we will be using to park our rental minivan at the MK, but I know it's some distance with the extra step too of taking the bus or monorail over I believe too. He still does some limited walking and even takes his car to places like Menards to try to get some exercise and walk back and forth down their large aisles a little bit (slow walking, but he can do it), so although I think it would be tiring for him and involve some uncomfortable standing too and the offsite rental would be better, I believe he would be able to manage. I think you bring up some very valid points jo-jo that I will make sure dad is aware of and that I really appreciate your mentioning. His mobility unfortunately is getting worse, not better. I will make the recommendation, but it will be his choice.

Now we are golden at SeaWorld. The handicapped parking lot to the place where you rent scooters is very doable for him (a reasonably short walk), and there are places to sit all over too on the way and right by where you do the rental. He has done this many times and even last year. (Am thinking that Disney doesn't have as easy a situation - but it's just one day and one park at least).

The fact that it is a ten day trip with only two theme park days comes into play here I'm sure in his thought process. We have relatives in Orlando and are mostly doing local and family visiting stuff which won't present an issue for him. This is more of a visit relatives trip with minimal trips to the theme parks vs. a big theme park vacation.

Last edited:

I wish there was a way for him to use a rollator from the car to the EVC. My DH sounds a little be like your dad. Walking grocery store, walmart, etc he does fine as long as he has the cart to hold on to. Walking alone is hard on his knees and his balance isn't super. We have started doing some walks in the neighborhood. First few walks were awful.(I'm talking a few hundred feet). We dug out the rollator (he needed it after surgery last year) and he walks so much better and longer.

We park in handicap parking and the tram people were closer, we would have been better off parking next to a tram stop far away. Lol They have wheel chairs next to the parking lot to get to where you are going. If at all possible i would look into local rentals its easier and you would have it for seaworld , disney springs etc. I think its really awesome that you all are together.

I don't think anyone replied about Little Mermaid - you can take the ECV all the way through the que and a CM will show him where to park. Then he walks a short distance and gets on where people are getting off the ride. It's a moving walkway and they will ask if he can go with it as is or not. I can manage it as is so I haven't asked - but I would guess they can slow it down or stop it if needed.

Not sure I thoroughly read through the options on getting him to the MK gate to rent the scooter - but could you rent or bring a wheelchair from off-site to take with you? You could leave it where you rent the scooter (or leave it parked in a stroller/scooter parking area nearby) and then it's there for you for going back and forth. I've seen courtesy wheelchairs in other parking lots but I haven't driving to the TTC in forever...and of course there's no guarantee one is available when you arrive. If you rent off-site and his weight is on the average side, you could probably rent a portable scooter for 3 days (I think 3 days was the minimum rental period when I did it) for what it would cost you to rent 2 days directly in the parks. ( I mention the person's weight because the portable ones don't do as well if someone is on the heavy side.) They break down easily especially with other family members there to do it. Then he would have a scooter for both days right out of the car and those are MUCH nicer than the park rentals - IMHO - much easier to operate. The park ones are like dinosaurs. This is what I would do in his situation. Then he would have it for a 3rd day if there's anything else you all want to go visit and he wants to go. Or having a manual wheelchair also gives him some options. I hope he has a wonderful trip!! :)

Jungle Cruise has a special boat that will allow him to sit in an attraction-provided wheelchair; it's like a ride within a ride! You do sit up very high in the center of the boat, but it works quite well!

At HM, there is a moving walkway; if he can't make the (standing) transfer to a doom buggy, you will need to let the CMs know that he has to transfer.

Small World has a wheelchair boat - again, he will transfer from the ECV to an attraction-provided chair

Philharmagic is no problem. The CMs will show you all exactly where to go.

Little Mermaid I haven't been on in ages - but someone else here will be able to tell us what the procedure is there 🙂

At Pirates, he will again transfer to an attraction provided chair for the queue. Remember that he will have to be able to step down into the boat, and stand up, and step back up out of the boat with only the assistance of his travel party (CMs are not allowed to help)

Tiki Room - you guessed right! No problem; the CMs will show you exactly where to go.

Pooh - another one I have not ridden in *ages*, so let's defer to someone who has done that more recently!

And last but never least, one of my personal favorites, because it's always a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Carousel of Progress - He will drive the ECV into the theater, and then take a regular seat. Again, CMs will give you instructions. Remember there is a small-time factor at the end of the show, to get him back on the ECV and out of the theatre - otherwise you will have to go around again! 🙂

Remember that the Parks ECVs are bigger and slower than the typical rental ECV, so he may be better served by an off-site rental unit that can fit through the queues easier, and takes up less space. Most of the offsite vendors will deliver pretty much anywhere in the Orlando area; you don't have to stay at a WDW Resort Hotel to get a scooter delivered, and you can rent scooters that will break down into multiple parts to fit into a car, truck or van.

mamabunny always has great information.

I would like to add that if he rides an attraction that does not have a wheelchair adapted vehicle, he may have to step down to get in and especially step up to get out of the attraction ride.

Last year I could usually get pretty close to the attraction vehicles and then use my folding cane to walk to the attraction vehicle.

But I still found it difficult to just use a cane getting in and out and losing my balance feeling like I was going to fall when there wasn't a safety bar or anything else to help me steady myself even when using my cane with one hand.

Before he enters and exits, I would be there to help steady him so he doesn't fall.

As far as which attractions vehicles have and do not have wheelchair adapted vehicles. These are the ones that I used to roll into the adapted vehicles.

2590PA090154.JPG
2590PA040164.JPG
2590PA040167.JPG

1-Jungle cruise-has a center lift on the handicap boat that he rolls on, tied down, turns and lowers. Everyone sits around boat regular bench.

603-940x705.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

3-It's a Small World-has a roll-in boat that you can roll him on and down the center to the front. The other seats are on both sides and very low.

The-Seas-with-Nemo-Friends-3.jpg
1146-645x1024.jpg

Little-Mermaid-unload.jpg
5-Under the Sea-Journey of the Little Mermaid-has a nice roll-in vehicle with space for only one guest to join him.

Many-Adventures-of-Winnie-the-Pooh-Accessible-Ride-Vehicle-1024x683.jpg
IMG_6866.jpg

8-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-same as above.

These are the ones that I used that were not adapted vehicles and I had to step in and step out with some difficulty due to my imbalance dysfunction.

2590PA040149-med.JPG
270copy-1024x816.jpg

2-Haunted Mansion-more places to hold on to, but I still had issues and not because of the moving sidewalk.

IMG_0700.jpg

6-Pirates of the Caribbean-This was very difficult for me with fewer hand grip places to hold onto. Plus, I couldn't use the queue with my electric wheelchair. I am no longer able to wheel myself up the queue by myself with the supplied regular wheelchair. I think that it would also be hard for me to lean over to grab the seat backrest for support and to stand on the slanted slippery if wet bench.

These did not require any vehicle and I was able to roll my wheelchair spot in between regular seats. I long longer transfer to a regular seat, but he can if he wants too. Sometimes there may be limited regular seating between each wheelchair space.

IMG_1079.jpg

4-Mickey's PhilharMagic-Rear row-not in the photo, but looks like most WDW rear row wheelchair spaces and regular seats.

WDW-Tiki-Room-Wheelchair-Spot.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg

7-Enchanted Tiki Room-Front row space next to bench. There are several wheelchair spaces. The pre-show area is along the front row.

IMG_0106.jpg

9-Carousel of Progress-Front row that can be seen on the top left with several more spaced out along the front row.

Last edited:
Great pictures Ray. Thank you . We plan to use the wheelchair boat at small world. DH hasn't been on the ride in years. I talked him into going on this year with the grands.

Great advice and pictures! I really appreciate all the great posts. I will show my dad this thread when he visits over Thanksgiving

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!