Help please to train kitten, what do you do to keep off diningrm chairs & table

Don't want kitten on dining rm chairs because then he could get on the table.
Ah I see.

Well for me my cat is welcome to the chairs of the kitchen table and the dining room table just not the actual tables.

When he was a kitten we just made sure he knew we didn't like him getting up onto the dining room and kitchen table (he didn't normally get on the kitchen countertops but when he did we let him know that wasn't an ok spot).

Whenever we found him on the tables themselves we made a specific noise that he knew meant no (it's hard to describe it lol) and told him no and started to get up. Most times he would get off immediately and the times he didn't we would pick him up and put him on the ground.

All cats are different for sure but ours pretty much has left the tables alone (with the exception of the end tables in the great room which because they are much lower to the ground he can use them). I know it's not 100% because I can't control what he does when we're gone but still.

I know we're lucky in that way. He'll sit on the counter height chairs for the kitchen island (as he likes to do a lot when we are doing things in the kitchen so he can look up at us) with no interest in climbing onto the island. He will sit on the dining room chairs and the kitchen chairs and not go onto the tables.

Whatever you do be consistent about it though. My mother-in-law didn't have a problem with the cats being on the kitchen table for years and when they only had 2 cats their food dish was on the kitchen countertops at the end. All of a sudden she decided she didn't want them on the kitchen countertops (the food got put down on the ground when she got more cats) and doesn't want them on the kitchen table...well it's confusing to them to say the least because one day it was ok and the next it wasn't.

I did think about double sided tape as another poster mentioned but if it's chairs you use on a consistent basis I'm not sure that would work if your cat doesn't see and have the ability to put their paw up on the chair to feel the tape. Guess that depends on how long you end up using the double sided tape.

It would probably help a lot then to just keep them pushed in under the table. They might still get on the chair occasionally, but certainly wouldn't use them to leap up on the table.
We keep ours like that majority of the time. I have table cloths on both the dining and the kitchen table. If you find my cat on the chairs there if they are pushed under the table he's lounging away sleeping. It's a cozy spot where he gets a bit of privacy and away from the hustle and bustle if you will.

If the chairs aren't pushed in he's learned not to go onto the table.

I do keep the chairs pushed in but there is still room for him to climb up to the table as the table is round maybe that is why. He hasn't been going on the chairs since I put the foil but I am constantly using the water bottle when he is near them and looking like he wants to jump up. Hopefully the foil works.

Good thing he's so adorable, 4 months old and his favorite spot is in a little Amazon box lol
And he loves this catnip furry toy. It's shaped like a fish stick. He holds it in his paws and his feet go crazy clawing at it lol. Oh, his name is Chip from Beauty and the Beast

Last edited:

Most cats don't like the feeling of tin foil under their claws--it's noisy and slippery. You can try covering areas that you don't want him to jump up to.

We used a spray bottle when we had cats, as well as a can of air that I got at Petsmart that makes a hissing sound. I never had an issue with our cats getting up on the dining room chairs, but I think cats on countertops and table tops is so disgusting, because you know they are spreading fecal coliform bacteria onto all of the eating surfaces. One of my MIL's cats did that when we were visiting over the holidays and I thought I was going to throw up.

Bubble wrap. Nice big fat bubbles of it, right where they are most likely to "aim to land" when they jump. One good entrance or exit onto the counters and that will likely solve that. No hints for how to lure the cat out of the 3" x 3" space it has now folded itself up into, though... LOL

Other less scary options are sticky tape, clear floor mats and tin foil. Anything that feels unpleasant and slippery on their feet.

My DSis lets her cats lay wherever they want, so they get up on the table and counters. Ugh! It's so hard to avoid eating anything at her house without hurting her feelings!:sad2:

I have one cat and the only place I don't like her on is the dining room table. I do a lot of stuff on there and she just doesn't need to be up there. She has not ever jumped up on my counters thought. When she gets up on the table I just kind of raise my voice and she will jump down if not I kind of gently push her down. She knows better

We did get a 3 month old kitten a month ago and after keeping him in our daughter's room we have let him loose while we are downstairs now and want to make sure he doesn't go on the dining room chairs and table.

Do you have any tips to keep him off the dining room chairs, table and kitchen counters?

You pick the cat up and place it down on the ground. No verbal.

I will admit that keeping them off chairs is not going to happen unless you do hard core training. Not sure I would want to do that. Chairs are where cats sleep, just saying.

I had cats most of my life. Now I am in a rental with 13yo dogs and a 2ishyo cat (my dd moved in for the moment).

Try THAT! LOL

You can train animals to do want you want. However once you leave the room, all bets are off.

Bubble wrap. Nice big fat bubbles of it, right where they are most likely to "aim to land" when they jump. One good entrance or exit onto the counters and that will likely solve that. No hints for how to lure the cat out of the 3" x 3" space it has now folded itself up into, though... LOL

Other less scary options are sticky tape, clear floor mats and tin foil. Anything that feels unpleasant and slippery on their feet.

I would be afraid they'd panic and fall.

We made the surfaces "unfriendly" for the cats. I discovered that none of our cats have ever been willing to jump on unstable surfaces, so we piled "loose" things (loosely stuffed pillows, unevenly-stacked piles of books, piled/jumbled up blankets, etc) on the counter and chairs. After a couple of landings on shifting ground, they stopped jumping up there. We also used the spray bottle effectively to stop them from jumping up on things and scratching the furniture. Both of these techniques have worked with 7 different cats over the years.

We made the surfaces "unfriendly" for the cats. I discovered that none of our cats have ever been willing to jump on unstable surfaces, so we piled "loose" things (loosely stuffed pillows, unevenly-stacked piles of books, piled/jumbled up blankets, etc) on the counter and chairs. After a couple of landings on shifting ground, they stopped jumping up there. We also used the spray bottle effectively to stop them from jumping up on things and scratching the furniture. Both of these techniques have worked with 7 different cats over the years.
Yeah, that's it. That's why I keep my counters cluttered. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, that it. That's why I keep my counters cluttered. ;)

Works for me! ;)

I think the bubble wrap and tin foil are great ideas. I'll try them if we ever get another kitten- it has to be easier than piling up throw cushions and stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter