help w/wandering 4yo

deb-luvs-tigger

Earning My Ears
After all these posts about kids getting lost-- I'm starting to panic. I've already made the ID cards, but I was trying to find some sort of child sized fannypack w/ a leash attachment. The wrist leash is out of the question, DD just takes it off. I thought if we could have it attached to the fannypack, she might leave it on, but we will all have fannypacks and she will feel important, but still be attached to ME! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

deb-luvs-tigger,

When my DS was little, younger than 4( but this might still work) I used one of those lease things but attached it to the back of his shorts or overalls. The shorts would have to have belt loops for this to work. It did not bother him in the least and was difficult to get off. The fanny pack is a better idea if he will leave it on. Even now as my DS is older he sometimes gets tired of wearing his own fanny pack every day.That being said, I never felt real good with the lease. Not that I cared at all what people thought, my son's safety was all that mattered. The problem seemed to be that he would walk as far as the lease would go and I worried about the cord tripping people or us fallling over it. By three we did much better with the rule you have to hold my hand now. This worked for us but I know that is not realistic for many kids. I would make sure I have a stoller and at very crowded times, MAKE him ride in it. I would strap him in even if that is not necessay to keep him from falliing out. It will take him a couple of seconds to undo and perhaps give you a chance to see what he is doing.Aslo there is a good chance that he will be at least a little indimidated by the big crowds and stick close to you. Show him what a CM looks like and tell him what to do if he can't see mommy.Try not to worry and have a great trip.

Jordan's mom

I found one of the fanny packs with removable leash in the One Step Ahead catalogue. I'm not sure if they have a website. I purschased this for my wandering DS who was 6 weeks shy of his fourth b-day. It is not a very big fanny pack, and it doesn't zip or velcro close. Surprisingly, I didn't need to use it! We only had once instance when he wandered off and that was to chase the talking trash can. I always had it with me in case I needed to use it. I did tell him before the trip, if he wandered off I was putting it on him. I think the crowds overwhelmed him and made him stay close to us. However, he was the only child with 3 adults, so if was easy for one of us to keep an eye on him at all times. We also rented a stroller for him and the only time I strapped him in was one evening in Epcot when we were heading out after TOD. I noticed quite a few "leashes" on children during the evenings.

I would either bring your stroller or rent one. A four year olds legs get pretty tired walking around, especially in the heat! We still take a stroller for our five year old DD. Beats lugging her around when she gets tired, plus I know where she is. She doesn't wander, but it's very easy to lose sight of a small child in large crowds.

One step ahead does have a website but I'm not sure of the address. You can probably find it with a search. My son isn't a wanderer but this is what we did:
1) Anytime there were crowds he was either in his stroller. If he wasn't in the stroller he had to have a hand or be carried. NO exceptions. He knew this and didn't have a problem.
2) If he wanted to walk he had to either have a hand on the stoller or have the hand of an adult. Again, we made it clear NO exceptions. When he didn't, we put him right back in the stroller ... only took once for him to get the message.

The crowds did overwhelm him, when it was crowded. He tended to stay very close. But, our son has always done that so we haven't had that problem.

Some have suggested putting his name, your hotel, and a cell number pinned inside the shirt. They say a good place is the tag in the back of the shirt.

Also, we introduce our son to a CM when we enter the park. We point out the name tag and tell him to find someone with a nametag like that. Then as we go by a store, we stroll in, introduce him to the CM and remind him that if he can't see mommy and daddy he needs to find someone with a name tag like that.

The fanny pack would be a great idea but my son wouldn't probably wear it. Good luck. I know it can make you crazy thinking of all the possibilities. But it typically is never as bad as we imagine it, right?

we used the leash on a fanny pack and it worked great - if you were having trouble with people tripping over the leash it sounds like it was too long, ours is quite short but gives dd a bit of freedom.

the person who said they never needed ot use it has missed the point - if you wait until the child has wandered off then it's too late to bring out the leash - the child is already lost.

my dd wore hers all the time, although there were occasions when we were in a safe environment where I would tuck the leash into her belt and let her run free - but we never removed it - mainly because she would argue about having it put back on- much easier for me to just leave it on her all the time.

Bev

Thank you all for posting your ideas and suggestions. DD was never a stroller kid, however we have decided that we will atleast give it a try at disney. DS is 9 yo and he has offered to help us out alot, so between DH, DS and myself somebody will be watching her. (Hopefully)! I did find the One Step Ahead fannypack but it seems very small for her, I may modify a kids fannypack with my own leash and definately will have the stroller back up.

Thank you all once again!

deb

We took our DD when she was 5 and a stroller was necessary. It is so much walking and so hot. Before that, she wasn't much of a stroller child either.. always preferred to walk. We also never needed a leash... I was blessed with a child that listens to me and ALWAYS 'stays where I can see her' - that has been our 'rule' since birth! LOL. I also only had to keep one child 'in view' - easier than 2 or more I am sure! My dd always stays right with me ... too hot to hold hands most times though.
Back to the advice... go witht he stroller and save yourself :D - if you choose to use the leash, fannysack or belt loop should work.. but be careful that she doesn't get tangled up in people with it :D

have fun!

When dd's were younger we just used the regular "wrist" type but instead of the wrist we attached it to a fanny pack or even a belt loop. This way you can get a fanny pack she likes - they had some cute Minnie Mouse style at the Contemporary!

Tj

I'm not a "kid leash" kind of person, but I have to admit that I wish I had one more than once at WDW ;). I'm not sure how well it will work for a 4 year old, though. They are pretty crafty.

Since your child is not a "stroller kid", the stroller might work even better for you. I allow my 2 year old DD to walk as long as she stays by me. I have been doing this everywhere, at the mall, at the grocery store, at the farmer's market, to the park, etc. She must stay near me at all times. I tell her the rules before we start off (in the store, to the park, etc): If she wanders away or ignors me she goes into the stroller or cart. She gets one and only one reminder. "Do you want to go in the cart/stroller?" She says "No!" and then stays by me for a while longer. She usually ends up in the cart or stroller anyway, since she's only 2 and her ability to control her impuses is minimal :). I used this method at WDW and it worked well. She stayed by me until she could no longer do so and then she rode in the stroller. After a while, she was allowed to walk again.

My mom used an actual dog leash and hooked it on my back belt loop when I was three. I realize that that probably sounds terrible but it was the 70's and she couldn't find anything actually for children. I was really good about staying in my stroller but my mom just wanted that extra feeling of safety when I was out and about. Good luck :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter