Help with a DL/Star Wars Celebration Trip

Griggle

Mouseketeer
I'm just starting to book a trip to LA to bring the kids to Star Wars Celebration in May 2007. Of course, while we're there, DL is also a must.....I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed, esp. not knowing the lay of the land.....and, not helping is any hotel near the convention center seems to be booked already....anyway, would really appreciate some help/advice....

From reading past posts, it seems like the best thing to do is start at DL (Paradise Pier?) and spend two days there, then head to LA for the end of the week for Celebration. We'd like to hit Legoland, Universal....tourista stuff...and, of course, be close enough to the convention center....I'm assuming we're better off getting a rental car - with this agenda....any suggestions on where to stay so we're centrally located?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
We're also planning on attending the Star Wars Celebration but fortunately we live close enough to not need a room. Here's my advice:
I would rent a car near the airport to get to Anaheim. For the 2 or 3 days you're planning on being at Disneyland just Priceline or Hotwire a room nearby or stay on property if it's in your budget. You can also find some good deals on hotels by going to Mousesavers.com. When you are ready to head to LA, I would get a room the same way. If you do in fact get a rental car, you can pretty much stay anywhere in/around LA. You might want to try other areas if your having trouble with the convention center. There's West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, La Brea, Santa Monica, Westwood, Marina del Rey, Burbank, Glendale, San Fernando Valley, LAX area, Studio City. According to Hotwire, Priceline and Expedia, there seems to be decent availability in most of these areas. You might have about a half hour drive (especially with traffic) from some of these areas but shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you allow for some extra travel time.

Also, wasn't sure if you knew that if you buy your Star Wars passes online prior to March, they will send you a code that allows you to book a hotel nearby. However, I have no idea what the rates would be or where but might be something to consider.

You also mentioned Legoland but wasn't sure if you realized that's closer to San Diego (actually in Carlsbad) and might take you a bit out of your way. If that's something you really want to do, you might want to do it first and maybe spend a night down there. It's about an hour south of Disneyland.

Anyway, I hope this gets you going in the right direction!! Let me know if I can help further!

Can't wait for May 07!!! We are hoping to hit Star Wars Weekends again at MGM and come home to the Star Wars Celebration!!!!
:yoda: :ewok: :darth: :chewy:

Thank you, Dizneyholic!

I had no idea that Legoland was off the beaten path (so to speak)....I have to re-figure that one out now. I guess I have to figure out if I need 4 days in LA....or, if Legoland is that important to the kids.

Yes, know about the codes, thank you - but all those rooms where gone very quickly. I find myself wondering just how big "Celebration" is....and wondering if I should be getting two day passes in case there is enough of a crowd that you end up missing stuff (what *stuff*....I have no idea).

A recommended hotel at work is the Hollywood Renaissance, which I could get my corporate discount with....it seems to be situated fairly well.....I'm going to have to do map quest to see how far away from Universal, et al it is. I know from the site it's a little over a mile away from the convention center so that's definately doable.

SWW's....sigh.....we'll be jealous; it will be our first year we miss. Told the kids it was an either / or....they picked Celebration. It's good to try something new....and, I'm not sure of the timing of SWW's....will Lucas do it b/4 Celebration to start the momentum, or will he do it after so SWW's won't steal any thunder from Celebration :confused3 June in WDW would be tough. End of school, Heat, crowds....

No problem Griggle!!! Just glad to help!!

Well, if you can get a room at the Hollywood Renaissance I would go for it!!! I was going to suggest it but I just assumed you tried there already. It's a nice hotel for the area and you'll only be a short drive from Universal (about 5 miles)!!! Not sure if you know where the Hollywood Bowl is but the hotel is only about a block away from there. It's actually a great location for you!!! Plus, it's attached to Hollywood & Highland so you'll be very close to shopping and dining. In case you haven't checked it out yet here's the website...

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/

Not to mention, Disney's El Capitan theater and old fashion soda fountain are right across the street!!!

As for Celebration, we are aiming for 2 days. If it is anything like San Diego's Comic-Con, it will be very crowded!!! Since this is also our first time going, I don't really know what to expect either. I'm assuming it'll be similar to Comic-Con in the respect of having guest speakers and different panels to attend. Plus, various signing's and celebrities. Those type of things always tend to have lines hours before so might not get to see everything in one day. I am very curious as well to know how SWW is going to be affected by the Celebration??? I really hope SWW doesn't suffer. Rumor has it, it's supposed to be the best one yet but it's hard to believe given the circumstances!
I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!

I'm headed to C4 too! I wandered over here to see if I could soak up some Southern Carlifornia info to enhance my trip next May and stumbled on your thread. I'm a veteran of C2 & C3. My badge is purchased (4 day + extra fan club day), my hotel is booked (Millenium Biltmore), and I'm waiting for more info before booking my flight. I'm probably going to take a couple of weeks so I can hit Vegas, Disneyland, and some of the other touristy areas. Since I'm traveling from the East Coast to the West Coast I want to make sure I make the trip worthwhile.

I believe you both said you were first timers. If so, you're in for a treat. Just be prepared to wait in line. It's a great opportunity to meet fans and people watch. The costumes will amaze you and everyone is so friendly. There were really nice programs for kids at C2 & C3. Since my son was too old I don't remember the details but I do know they had a kid's room with activities. They also had some type Jedi training ending with a Vader confrontation. Lego does a hugh display and they had a lego building contest at C3. I don't think there were young kids on any of the teams but it was great fun to watch. The droid builders are amazing. There is so much to do and much not to be missed. I could ramble on & on. I just wish they'd give us a little more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter