Help with February trip itinerary !

CindyLouB

Mouseketeer
We are planning a visit to Aluani Saturday, February 15 to Friday, February 21, 2020. We’ll arrive on the 15th mid-afternoon, leaving mid-afternoon on the 21st. We are traveling from the East Coast. It’s my husband, 10-year-old daughter and myself. It’s my 50th birthday vacation trip. It’s important to know we are not all that into history but know we must make a quick trip to Pearl Harbor. Also, my 10-year-old won’t be into hiking so best to skip that (or listen to her complain). I’ve rented a car (Jeep) and want to hit a few of the local spots to get a good taste of the island. Here’s our plan, let me know if it’s doable and if there’s anything special we missed:

Day 1 – arrive, check out resort, relax. Should we make a dinner reservation at Aluani or elsewhere or are they not necessary?

Day 2- Spend day at pool and beach. Is the snorkeling good at Aluani? My daughter is a water bug. We have dinner booked at Ama Ama for 5:30. What are the pool hours at Aluani?

Day 3 – head to the North Shore, look for turtles at Turtle Beach, go to Giovanni Shrimp and I think I read there are other food trucks in that area? My husband is a foodie. Also, Matsumoto for shaved ice. Drive up or back through down 99 to see the sights (?), and the opposite way up 93? What’s the best ways to go and other stuff to see in that area?

Day 4 – Down to Pearl Harbor, hoping to score tickets for the 11am “free” tour online 60 days before. Go to Waikiki before or after, walk the strip? Lunch maybe. Back to resort. We have the resort Luau booked for 5pm.

Day 5 – Head to Pali Lookout for the sunrise, drive down to Kailua Beach and downtown area, then to Sea Life Park maybe some a dolphin swim (my daughter’s been wanting to do this for a while). See whales in that area? Dinner?

Day 6 – Another resort day/relax. Maybe check out area near resort. I read the whale watching in that area is good due to the Waste Management plant making the water warmer. (we really want to see the whales!) What else should we see on the Leeward side?

Day 7 – last quick resort swim, afternoon flight home.

Curious on your thoughts. Remember, we don’t care much for history, or touristy traps (we’ll skip Dole). We want to see some local stuff and beautiful scenery while keeping it interesting for our daughter. And good food is important! Thank you.

Day 1 – arrive, check out resort, relax. Should we make a dinner reservation at Aluani or elsewhere or are they not necessary?
If dining at Aulani, I would make a reservation just to avoid long waits. Dinner can fill up. On our arrival day, we didn't know how long getting situated would take so we opted to go across the street for dinner. We ate at Pizza Corner (and had leftovers for lunch on our pool day the next day), or Monkeypod usually has Open Table reservations available last minute.

Day 2- Spend day at pool and beach. Is the snorkeling good at Aluani? My daughter is a water bug. We have dinner booked at Ama Ama for 5:30. What are the pool hours at Aluani?
Snorkeling in the lagoon is nothing to write home about, IMO. We didn't see anything aside from a few tiny fish. There is the snorkeling at Rainbow Reef which is manmade snorkeling on the resort grounds.

Day 3 – head to the North Shore, look for turtles at Turtle Beach, go to Giovanni Shrimp and I think I read there are other food trucks in that area? My husband is a foodie. Also, Matsumoto for shaved ice. Drive up or back through down 99 to see the sights (?), and the opposite way up 93? What’s the best ways to go and other stuff to see in that area?
FYI, you won't have to look for turtles at Turtle Beach. You'll know you've come upon it with the traffic and cars parked all over the road. You cross some rocks to get down to the beach and its very tiny. People are required to stay back and everyone just kind of forms a half circle around them to take photos. It was a 5 minute stop for us - took longer to find parking and then get out of the parking stop.

When you approach Haleiwa, there are a couple food trucks near Giovanni's. There were lines and limited seating, so we went up the road to Kono's which is closer towards Matsumoto. Kono's was amazing - just a quick service place with a couple picnic tables outside. Also, don't be deterred by lines at Matsumoto's. They move quickly, and we loved the store there. Cute merch. We also parked and just walked along the road in Haleiwa, going in and out of the stores. The furthest east we went is Waimea Valley (I don't recommend). You can take 99 back pretty easily and it will take you right by the Dole Plantation. I don't remember anything super scenic about it, but it was an easy drive with one lane on each side. I'm pretty sure 93 ends at Waianae and it doesn't loop around. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Waianae is anything to see and its impoverished from what I understand.

Day 4 – Down to Pearl Harbor, hoping to score tickets for the 11am “free” tour online 60 days before. Go to Waikiki before or after, walk the strip? Lunch maybe. Back to resort. We have the resort Luau booked for 5pm.
If you have a luau at Aulani at 5pm, I don't think you'd have enough time to do Waikiki after an 11am Pearl Harbor tour. The tour starts with a 20 minute video, plus the ride out to the Arizona, ride back. I'm guessing you'll be back on land by 12-12:15. 30 minute drive to Waikiki plus time spent looking for parking, I'll say you'd get there around 12:45-1pm. You'll want to head back to Aulani by 3pm-ish because its a good 30-40 minute drive, plus traffic. And I'm guessing you'll want to change and freshen up before the show.

I do think Waikiki is worth visiting for an afternoon/evening. We love the shopping and atmosphere there, and its a totally different vibe than anywhere else on the island. If you can move the luau to another night, this would be a good day to do it after Pearl Harbor.

Day 6 – Another resort day/relax. Maybe check out area near resort. I read the whale watching in that area is good due to the Waste Management plant making the water warmer. (we really want to see the whales!) What else should we see on the Leeward side?
Since your daughter is into snorkeling, have you considered Hanauma Bay? Its not on the leeward side, but a lot of people combine it with Waikiki. Hanauma Bay is best done early to avoid parking challenges, and then a lot of people will spend the rest of the day in Waikiki.

Also, not leeward side, but have you considered Kualoa Ranch? Its on the windward side not too far from Kailua, but its such a beautiful place with so many things to do. We didn't consider it a tourist trap at all. It was a very unique place.

Thanks for this helpful info. A few questions:

You said the furthest East you went is Waimea Valley, but isn't Turtle Beach beyond that at the tip? So to get from Turtle Beach to Haleiwa or visa versa, don't you go through/past Waimea? Or did you mean you just didn't stop anywhere further East (besides Turtle Beach?).

I like the idea of walking around Haleiwa.

I do see on the map now that 93 does appear to end, so I guess 99 it is up and back.

Hmmmm, maybe we skip Pearl Harbor tour. Is it something we can go look at (from a distance?) without actually taking a tour, so we can say we went there ?? :). Then we go to Hanauma Bay in the morning (we wouldn't stay at the beach long, we are not all day beach people, our daughter likes pools better), then to Waikiki.

The only other day they have the Luau when we are there is day 5 and that wouldn't work with our schedule either. Could we do North shore (get there early) and be back in time for the 5pm Luau? If we did that on day 4, then on day 3 we could do Hanauma Bay, Waikiki, and if we maybe PH. We'd probably skip either Hanauma Bay or PH.

Thanks for your input. Hoping to get some more feedback!

You said the furthest East you went is Waimea Valley, but isn't Turtle Beach beyond that at the tip? So to get from Turtle Beach to Haleiwa or visa versa, don't you go through/past Waimea? Or did you mean you just didn't stop anywhere further East (besides Turtle Beach?).
"Turtle Beach" is actually Laniakea Beach, which is in the middle between Haleiwa and Waimea Valley. It sounds like you may be thinking of Turtle Bay Resort, which is closer to the tip, further east. Despite the name, I don't believe there are any turtles to be found there.

Hmmmm, maybe we skip Pearl Harbor tour. Is it something we can go look at (from a distance?) without actually taking a tour, so we can say we went there ?? :). Then we go to Hanauma Bay in the morning (we wouldn't stay at the beach long, we are not all day beach people, our daughter likes pools better), then to Waikiki.
The actual Arizona memorial can't be viewed from a distance. You can see the structure, but the memorial is inside of it, and you view the sunken ships and debris around it from the structure as well. If you don't have time for the Arizona tour, there are free small walk-through museums you can browse at your leisure that you don't need a tour time for. But you're not actually seeing the remnants from the attack as you would if you took the Arizona tour. We are not much into history either, but are glad we visited the Arizona.

I will caution if you decide to visit the site without doing the tour, I would try to go early because parking can be a challenge. Also, you are not allowed to bring in bags of any kind but they will store them for $3 each (I believe). Car break-ins are rampant in tourist areas, particularly here, so I wouldn't leave anything in the car.

Could we do North shore (get there early) and be back in time for the 5pm Luau?
I think you could. We got to the North Shore around 12:30pm, stopped for lunch, browsed the stores, stopped at the turtle beach, went to Waimea Valley, stopped for shave ice, and got back to Aulani about 7:30-8pm. I think If you got to Haleiwa in the morning you could time it to be back at Aulani by 5pm, but give yourself time to combat rush hour traffic if its on a weekday. I would allow at least an hour for the commute back.

"Turtle Beach" is actually Laniakea Beach, which is in the middle between Haleiwa and Waimea Valley. It sounds like you may be thinking of Turtle Bay Resort, which is closer to the tip, further east. Despite the name, I don't believe there are any turtles to be found there.

Thanks, I knew Turtle Beach was diff. than Turtle Bay Resort, but I didn't realize the turtles weren't actually on Turtle Beach! I would have gone to the wrong place.

We are not much into history either, but are glad we visited the Arizona.
Yeah, I figured we probably have to check it out..... And I do keep hearing about car break-ins all over the island, we'll be extra cautious!

I think you could. We got to the North Shore around 12:30pm, stopped for lunch, browsed the stores, stopped at the turtle beach, went to Waimea Valley, stopped for shave ice, and got back to Aulani about 7:30-8pm. I think If you got to Haleiwa in the morning you could time it to be back at Aulani by 5pm, but give yourself time to combat rush hour traffic if its on a weekday. I would allow at least an hour for the commute back.

I think we'll do this. We'll head up early, see the turtles, have lunch, stores, shaved ice and back for the Luau. Then we can do Waikiki, Pearl Harbor and/or Waikiki the day before.

I appreciate your comments, you've been very helpful in my planning.
Still interested to hear any other input.

Thanks, I knew Turtle Beach was diff. than Turtle Bay Resort, but I didn't realize the turtles weren't actually on Turtle Beach! I would have gone to the wrong place.
I think you meant Turtle Bay above, but just to clarify, you'll want to go to Laniakea Beach which is the one in between Haleiwa and Waimea Valley to see the turtles. No need to go out to Turtle Bay, unless you're interested in seeing the resort.

Also, sometimes there are turtles at the neighboring lagoon to Aulani. If you walk the front sidewalk to the parking lot where the Paradise Cove luau is, you'll come upon a public access pathway back to the lagoon and the beach. We checked it out twice and never had luck catching a turtle, but others here have seen them. I think you can walk over on the beach side as well, but it was my understanding its a little rocky and rougher terrain than taking the front sidewalk.

I think you meant Turtle Bay above, but just to clarify, you'll want to go to Laniakea Beach which is the one in between Haleiwa and Waimea Valley to see the turtles. No need to go out to Turtle Bay, unless you're interested in seeing the resort.

Thank you. I've mapped it out, I know exactly where you are talking about now. Appreciate the clarification.

Hi there,

Just a few things to add if you wanted to add or change things up.

Agree about making dining reservations and Monkeypod as the above poster said as a walk across the street outside of the resort. You can even walk to the Four Seasons (use to be a Jw marriott) on the path and check out those restaurants/scenery. We saw Adam Sandler in the morning at the coffee bar and he was being Adam Sandler and said hi to my son in an Adam Sandler way.. will never forget it.

Pearl Harbor tour was historic and highly recommended, especially the boat to the memorial and the video they play prior to that.

There is Ted's bakery as you head up to the north shore and they make fabulous pies.

Matsumoto's great, but if you get a craving for more and close to Waikiki, then there's a place called Waiola's Shaved Ice... phenomenal. They have two spots and more for locals. They were actually shown when Hawaii Five O started it's reboot

Dont forget to check Leonard's Malasadas off Kapahulu, always a line out the door.

Some of the local food hangouts near or around Waikiki (ten minute drive w/o traffic) for restaurants are Side Street Inn and Helena's (Pipikaula). There's also Lilliha Bakery that makes these creampuffs and poi donuts.

You're going to have a great time :)

Only thing I might consider changing is your plan for sunrise viewing, I would do that day 2 or 3, your most likely going to be up before dawn anyways.

Dont forget to check Leonard's Malasadas off Kapahulu, always a line out the door.
I'll also add that Leonard's has a food truck permanently parked at the outlets which are directly off the highway on the way to Aulani. Its an easy stop on the way back to Aulani no matter where you're coming from. We found it easier to stop at this location because the original storefront was out of the way for us, and we heard how busy it can be. The truck didn't have a line at all.

I am going to be at Aulani from Feb 10th-17th. I feel so defeated by your plans!! LOL. I have nothing.. not one thing planned! I do want to rent a car one day and go to Pearl Harbor. My husband is an AF Veteran and it's important to him to go see it and pay respects. What are these "free" tickets you speak of, and where do I get them? LOL. I went onto the website, at least I thought I was on the correct website and the tour passport was $70. Also I couldn't book it yet, because well.. tickets haven't been released, so I am assuming I have to wait until 60 days in advance. You also mentioned you made reservations at Ama Ama, I didn't realize we can make reservations for dining already for February. Did you make them online via website or did you call to make them? I thought I had to wait until the 60 days out, but if that not the case, I would like to get those done and out of the way! for your rental car, do you have it the whole week? I was just planning on getting a rental car for 2 days from the hotel counter, would you suggest that I do that now as well? I am so excited for this trip.. I need to be more productive in my planning it seems though!

I'm not the OP, but thought I'd add my two cents!

What are these "free" tickets you speak of, and where do I get them?
You will have to go on the web site exactly 60 days out from the date you want to go to Pearl Harbor to secure your tour time for the Arizona. The tickets are free, but I believe they impose a couple dollar processing fee per ticket. Its recommended you do this early at exactly 60 days out because the tour times go quickly. If you're not able to get tickets, they do have some standby tickets day of. You would need to arrive early and wait in the standby line. Its ideal to be at the front of the standby line because you'll get an earlier tour time - you don't want to get there at 9am and get a 3pm tour time (for example) because there is not enough to do while waiting, IMO. Parking also becomes a challenge later in the day if you leave and come back.

Did you make them online via website or did you call to make them?
For Aulani dining reservations, you can do either at any time now for February. Its recommended, but its not nearly as urgent as WDW dining reservations can be.

your rental car, do you have it the whole week? I was just planning on getting a rental car for 2 days from the hotel counter, would you suggest that I do that now as well?
If you are staying on DVC points, I would recommend getting a car for the week. Parking is free and it gives you so much more flexibility. Also, the resort does run out of daily rental cars from time to time so you don't want to run that risk trying to get one day-of. If you aren't staying on DVC points, parking is $37 per day. I would still get the car for the duration because of the flexibility, but that's a personal preference.

In terms of planning, keep in mind that traffic can be miserable during certain hours of the day so I would have some idea of when you want to go to places so you can time it accordingly. I would also have an idea of where places are located on the island so you can group things together and not have to criss-cross the island. For example, it would be time consuming and inefficient to be at Hanauma Bay in the morning and the North Shore that afternoon.

Lastly, keep in mind that Aulani is located in the planned gated tourist community of Ko Olina. Not much in walking distance and the things that are around are curated for tourists at tourist prices. Ko Olina is in an isolated part of the island and frankly, anything cultural there is contrived. You'll want to get out of Ko Olina to experience true Oahu. Otherwise, its no different than a resort anywhere else in the world.

I'm not the OP, but thought I'd add my two cents!

You will have to go on the web site exactly 60 days out from the date you want to go to Pearl Harbor to secure your tour time for the Arizona. The tickets are free, but I believe they impose a couple dollar processing fee per ticket. Its recommended you do this early at exactly 60 days out because the tour times go quickly. If you're not able to get tickets, they do have some standby tickets day of. You would need to arrive early and wait in the standby line. Its ideal to be at the front of the standby line because you'll get an earlier tour time - you don't want to get there at 9am and get a 3pm tour time (for example) because there is not enough to do while waiting, IMO. Parking also becomes a challenge later in the day if you leave and come back.

For Aulani dining reservations, you can do either at any time now for February. Its recommended, but its not nearly as urgent as WDW dining reservations can be.

If you are staying on DVC points, I would recommend getting a car for the week. Parking is free and it gives you so much more flexibility. Also, the resort does run out of daily rental cars from time to time so you don't want to run that risk trying to get one day-of. If you aren't staying on DVC points, parking is $37 per day. I would still get the car for the duration because of the flexibility, but that's a personal preference.

In terms of planning, keep in mind that traffic can be miserable during certain hours of the day so I would have some idea of when you want to go to places so you can time it accordingly. I would also have an idea of where places are located on the island so you can group things together and not have to criss-cross the island. For example, it would be time consuming and inefficient to be at Hanauma Bay in the morning and the North Shore that afternoon.

Lastly, keep in mind that Aulani is located in the planned gated tourist community of Ko Olina. Not much in walking distance and the things that are around are curated for tourists at tourist prices. Ko Olina is in an isolated part of the island and frankly, anything cultural there is contrived. You'll want to get out of Ko Olina to experience true Oahu. Otherwise, its no different than a resort anywhere else in the world.
Awwww man!! No 6:30 time slots on 2/14 for Ama Ama.. bummer!

Awwww man!! No 6:30 time slots on 2/14 for Ama Ama.. bummer!
Sunset on Valentine's Day? Not surprising, but you shouldn't have an issue getting whatever else you want. And keep checking for that one too - people will cancel or change plans.

You don’t have to pre-buy your Complete pass for Pearl Harbor - only the Arizona Memorial. The other sites can be added on when you arrive. The tickets that you book 60 days out are for times after 11am, earlier times are only available by lining up on the actual day when the office opens at 7am - first tour is at 7.30am.

I got my PH tix yesterday. Was so happy to snag the 11 am tour. One thing you might do is do a dry run and get your account set up so it will go quicker. I panicked yesterday when it had me set up an account - I was sure I was going to lose the tix. So act like you are going to buy the tix to get the act set up then cancel them so you will be ready when your day arrives

I would suggest coming back through the H3. It is an amazing drive with some absolutely gorgeous views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!