Help with gift-giving game for kids

Pinterest is obviously tracking me because when I went on last night there were some Christmas game ideas that had popped up LOL
One was a roll the dice game. Each number corresponded with a direction like- pass your gift to left, switch with person across from you, or everyone pass to right, etc.
I thought that was kind of a cute idea, and if you did it before anything was opened then it could work with kids.

One game I am doing this year is for my 5 year old niece. She's getting a present to open but I wanted to do something extra. Here's what I was thinking - I have a box that I will fill with several small items ($1-$3 each). I'll have her close her eyes, reach into the box and pull out an item. Then she'll see if she can guess what the item is based on how it feels. We can give her clues. She'll get to keep everything in the box even if she can't guess what it is. My DD thinks she might be too young for this. Maybe she is - I'll have to run it by my sister. I might end up doing a scavenger hunt with the items instead and she can put the items in the box as she finds them. Some of the items I have so far: a small mermaid doll, small box of crayons (mermaid themed), pink Barbie matchbox car, plastic beaded bracelets, small pack of facial tissue (penguin themed), sticker book, snowman glow wand, lollipop, chocolate coins. I need to add a few more items.

Not too young at all! My mother has been doing games like this with my kids for years, starting when they were maybe three years old. Up until recently we always had "party games" like this and it's a wonderful memory. We also did the stealing-type games but the prizes were small and similar. She'd put a pile of food (fun sugar cereal, fruit snacks, box of cookies, etc.) in the center of the table and start rolling dice to see who'd get to pick/steal/etc. Roll doubles? Pick two items, etc. But since everything was coming home to my house anyway, it didn't really matter who got the Lucky Charms and who got the Chex Mix. They'd all share everything anyway.

So I say make the memory! A five-year-old should be the perfect age for your guessing game, especially if you'll give clues to avoid total frustration. But you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they can guess. Or what crazy ideas they come up with ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!