Herniated Disc Issues

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

So, I'm posting this for a little support and some ideas about what I might be able to do in order to cope. I have a herniated disc in my back at L5/S1. I had surgery to help relieve the sciatic pain in February of 2016 and while it has helped in my day to day life, I have found from past trips to Disney that all the walking is a problem. I've discovered that I can manage for about 3 days and then the pain intensifies pretty sharply, to the point it makes me feel sick. I have pain meds and a back brace I can wear for extra support, but I'm starting to get really worried about my 8 day trip in 9 days. I don't think an ECV or a wheelchair is a good option because I can't sit for long periods either -- that causes the pain to be worse. Has anybody else dealt with similar problems and found something that helps?

Thanks!

I used a rollator walker which helped me because I just need to be able to sit sometimes and can usually walk pretty good. I would get a wheelchair that you can push like a walker but sit in when needed as long as you have a pusher. If you don’t have a pusher then I would get an ECV and park it when you want or need to walk and ride when you need to sit.

Look at a mobility device as a tool. Just because you have a mobility device does not mean you have to sit in it all the time or have it with you all the time.

I would look at getting a wheelchair or roller ( whatever one you think would work best)

with both a wheelchair or roller you will have a place to sit when and where you need, whether in a line or waiting for the parade fireworks, or just taking a break. Both you can push when you do not need to sit ( this helps my friend take some presser off her back and she can do more walking then not having something)

a roller is a little easier to push through crowds, but you really cannot sit and have someone push you the backrest is most of the time a padded bar that may not give you back support you need.

a wheelchair is a little bigger when pushing through a crowded, but you can sit and self-push ( would not want to do it much as it is hard but in a shop or a slow-moving line you should be fine) or have someone help push you along. they have fullbacks that would more than likely give you better support when you do need to sit.

another option is an ECV and I do not think this would be good for you as you would have to sit on it to have it with you. and it sounds like you can do a fair amount of walking just not all day everyday type of walking.

a few other note you do not have to have whatever mobility device with you all the time if you know you are good in the morning park the device somewhere in the land you are in and leave it there until you are ready to move on, take it with you later on in the day and use it then.

all parks have a first aid where you can lie down if you need too they also have OTC if needed

But it sounds like you really need a mobility device you just do not need one all the time.

and I would look at getting whatever you think you need from off-site as you sound like you will need you most help later in the day and if you are staying on sit and taking the Disney bus then this might be the time you really need a place to sit. Also some of the hotels can be quite big and takes a lot of walking to get to your room

I have a herniated disc in my back as well and I find that making sure I'm stretching throughout the day (way more than I normally would at home), taking anti inflammatories, and building rest time into my park days can help. I also have my wife carry everything because after a little while even a very light backpack, purse, or fannypack causes the pain to set in. It is really rough trying to walk everywhere and mitigating the pain. One of the other things I will do that I have found helpful is to build some time in to go float in the pool or hot tub at the hotel at the end of the day and then icing my back at night too for a little while.

The biggest help for me is to try and mitigate the pain as early as possible rather than waiting for it to get really bad. So if it gets to a point where I'm starting to feel a little pain, I immediately take steps to address it rather than waiting until it is sharp and really bad. I rather call it early for a day in the parks at the beginning of my trip and be able to enjoy the rest of it than keep pushing myself and be miserable in excruciating pain by the middle of the trip.

Just toads what ladyd said about taking a break before the pain gets too bad. I know for me I get caught up in the I am at Disney and will not notice my body worning signs until it is too late so I have some times set aside ( about every 4 hourd) where I will take a minute to make sure I am ok not in pain medical problems I have are not acting up and other things ( and I am talking 5 or so minutes just to think how is my back am I in pain at all). It is so easy to get caught up in the Disney excitement that the little pain you would have felt st home you ignore until it is too late.

Hi All!

So, I'm posting this for a little support and some ideas about what I might be able to do in order to cope. I have a herniated disc in my back at L5/S1. I had surgery to help relieve the sciatic pain in February of 2016 and while it has helped in my day to day life, I have found from past trips to Disney that all the walking is a problem. I've discovered that I can manage for about 3 days and then the pain intensifies pretty sharply, to the point it makes me feel sick. I have pain meds and a back brace I can wear for extra support, but I'm starting to get really worried about my 8 day trip in 9 days. I don't think an ECV or a wheelchair is a good option because I can't sit for long periods either -- that causes the pain to be worse. Has anybody else dealt with similar problems and found something that helps?

Thanks!

Hi Sarah
The thought of doing Disney with back pain can definitely be overwhelming and scary.
I have a herniated disc causing severe sciatic pain/and nerve dysfunction and a popliteal cyst which ruptured but still can fill causing pain.
Last year (March 2017) I suffered so much, and I am determined to try and make things better this trip,(March 2018).
I've made some changes in my life and my day to day life is so much better. I am almost medication free and doing well.
A few things I am going to do differently at Disney this time.

1. The old ugly running shoes are coming with me--no fancy new ones.(100% cotton socks)
2. My favorite pillow is coming with me. I use this between my legs to align my spine when sleeping or resting.
3. I am bringing the Pain meds and anti inflammatory meds with me.
4. I love my evening showers BUT I am also going to take an extra one each morning before we head out.
5. I am going to do my 5 minute morning bed stretch routine.
6. I am NOT going to backtrack in the Parks--I've been enough times that I do not have to see everything in one day and may consider half day park visits.
7. I am scheduling a ride-show-sit routine.
8. I am taking resort breaks (hot tub) after Park days.
9. If things get bad I will take a break at the Disney first aid centres--I now know where they are located.
10. I have explained my feelings/situation to my youngest son who will be traveling with me--I do not want to disappoint him BUT I will only do what I can in order to stay pain free.
11. I am NOT going to attempt any ride which would jar my back--yep Dinosaur is out.
12. For the first time I am bringing some books and magazines to read around the resort pool.
Place two pool noodles under legs and float around the pool--feels great and it is good for taking the pressure off of the spine.
13.Taking extra money with me for a cab/Uber if I can't wait for the Disney bus or it looks like there is no seating on the bus..
14. People watch a bit more.
15. Stop and appreciate the Flowers and warmth of Disney / Universal.
16. Buy that souvenir when I see it and not have to backtrack in order to get it.
17. I am considering getting a pedicure on day 3. Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa.
https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/senses-spa-at-disneys-saratoga-springs-resort-a-review/

18. I am going to take medication at onset of pain and not when I have a long trek across a Park and Parking lot to get home.

Hugs to you Hon
I hope you have a pain free great Holiday!!
Hugs Mel

Last edited:

I have issues at L5/S1 as well, and find that time in the spa (hot tub) in the evening often helps to relax everything prior to bed.

I have also popped into the spa during afternoon breaks from the Parks - sometimes even just 30 minutes of floating in the warm water is enough.

I do water therapy at home 2 to 3 times a week in a 97 degree therapy pool, so the spas are the closest thing at Disney Resorts.

I've also got issues at L5/S1 and my physio recommended cold as opposed to hot so I bring or order instant cold packs for Disney trips.

Thanks for asking this question. I have a variety of neck, spinal issues that can make a day at the parks pretty painful/miserable. We no longer go commando, breaking the day into 2 or 3 short park visits. Last time I nearly passed out waiting in the Toy Story line (posted time was 20 minutes and it was more like 45) and am considering getting a DAS in order to alternate sitting and standing more easily. Does anyone have experience with DAS and spinal issues?

Thanks for asking this question. I have a variety of neck, spinal issues that can make a day at the parks pretty painful/miserable. We no longer go commando, breaking the day into 2 or 3 short park visits. Last time I nearly passed out waiting in the Toy Story line (posted time was 20 minutes and it was more like 45) and am considering getting a DAS in order to alternate sitting and standing more easily. Does anyone have experience with DAS and spinal issues?
most lilkey you will be told that a DAS will not help you.

When you go to GR the cast member will ask what are your concerns in line? It sounds like you need to sit and stand and be able to do both ( like sit for 20 minutes stand for 20 minutes) and you can easily to this with a wheelchair/ a roller ( you can push it when you need to walk and sit when you need to sit) Disney has been taking benches away left and right and if you can not find a place to sit when need be you could be in a lot of trouble. when your own ( or a rented one) mobility device you will have a place to sit when need be.

I know you more than likely do not need a mobility device at home and this is true for more than likely 40+% of the people you see at Disney since most people do not walk 5+ miles a day most of the people you see with a mobility device only use them at the theme park.

most lilkey you will be told that a DAS will not help you.

When you go to GR the cast member will ask what are your concerns in line? It sounds like you need to sit and stand and be able to do both ( like sit for 20 minutes stand for 20 minutes) and you can easily to this with a wheelchair/ a roller ( you can push it when you need to walk and sit when you need to sit) Disney has been taking benches away left and right and if you can not find a place to sit when need be you could be in a lot of trouble. when your own ( or a rented one) mobility device you will have a place to sit when need be.

I know you more than likely do not need a mobility device at home and this is true for more than likely 40+% of the people you see at Disney since most people do not walk 5+ miles a day most of the people you see with a mobility device only use them at the theme park.

I just got back from WDW on Monday. I thought "what the heck" and went to guest relations the first day to talk to them about DAS. They granted me one and it helped immensely. Never hurts to ask.

You can always ask for a DAS, but be prepared for them not to issue one. I have some spinal issues and for me, walking is best. And when I say walking, I don't mean shuffling and standing like in a line. We get a DAS for my son, but at some point he may not need it and at that point I'd have to really readjust my touring plans. Even now, some lines (like Soarin, where you just stand for several minutes with or without a DAS or FP) can be rough.

Some ideas - figure out what your worst triggers are and what helps relieve the pain. For me, sitting too long, standing too long, and the worst is standing on a moving vehicle (bus, monorail). The best is walking. I can stretch in line too. Lines like Pirates where I can actually push my back against the wall to help stretch it is great.

-plan your fast passes and touring plan well. The MDE app is very helpful in this as you can see how bad a line is before you hike across the park for it.

-schedule breaks.

-if you really think alternating walking and sitting might help, a wheelchair or rollator could help. You can push it as necessary and sit when needed.

-I think spinal issues are especially frustrating. An ECV isn't helpful. Wheelchairs and Rollators tend to be too low (even with adjustments) when pushing and make my back hurt more. Plus it's annoying to have to push them around when you really only need them to sit for a few minutes.

If sitting doesn't bother you, then an ECV or wheelchair may help. And if you don't get the DAS at first, try it with Disney's suggestions. If their solution (likely and ECV or wheelchair) doesn't work, go back to Guest Services and explain what didn't work.

I just got back from WDW on Monday. I thought "what the heck" and went to guest relations the first day to talk to them about DAS. They granted me one and it helped immensely. Never hurts to ask.
Yes some CM will give out a DAS to anyone who asked for it I know someone that has back problems she got a DAS and got a return time for TSMM all the benches in the area there was people sititng in them she told one of them she needed to sit and ask the guest to get up the guest looked at her like she could not understand her so we walked a little bit more down ( tward the front of the park) and there were benches but people were sitting in them, by the time we got to the front she was crying becuse she was in so much pain she wants in to GR and was almost yelling at the CM that her back hurt and there was nowhere to sit and no one would get up her when she told then she needed to sit, I had told her a number of times that beanches were fair and few between and then she would be better renting an ECV or wheelchair. the GR CM told her that she should not have been issued a DAS card and that a wheelchair or ECV would better fit her needs she wants on about how it ruined her day and so on. She left the park because her back was bothering her too much and went back to her hotel I went on with my day and saw her a week letter back in the tow we live in she said that I was right about the benches and that the next day her back was in so much pain she stayed at her hotel and did not really get out of bed.

So if you need a place to sit have one with you with an ECV or wheelchair or roller do not relay on a bench at Disney being available ( and said this is not the first time something like this has happened I have had guest tell me when I am sitting that they need to sit and most of the time I will not get up for them)

I think one of the best things you can do for your self if you think you need to go to GR is not say that you need a DAS but to go in and tell them what your concerns are inline, like if you need to site every 20 minutes or your back will hurt, you need to stay out of the sun because you overheat whatever and say what would you suggest for me. I find this way they will give you what accommodation will work best for you. But I find some CM do not want to deal with rude guest when a guest asked for a DAS that even if they do not need one they will give the guest a DAS anyways. ( I kind of know a GR CM and this is what she told me but she did say some CM do not do this)

Wow! I can’t believe people ask other people to get off a bench because they need to sit down! People are way too entitled! I bring my rollator with me so I always have a place to sit. I don’t use it in my normal life at home.

Wow! I can’t believe people ask other people to get off a bench because they need to sit down! People are way too entitled! I bring my rollator with me so I always have a place to sit. I don’t use it in my normal life at home.
Yes this is why I do not get up ( I think there must be a sign on me that says please ask her to get up) andI was so embarriesd when the person I was with kept asking people to get up, I am glde I was only with her for a half day ( it was really like an hour or two) at HS we were both down at DIsney at the same times and out park days matched if it happens again I will just tell her no at lest she does not go that often. But yes Entitled is right. Like you said if you need a place to site you need to bring it with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter