HHI Dining Question

WHich HHI restaurant would you choose to dine in with spouse while kids are at KNO?

• Alexander's (if you choose this, tell me -- what's with the Harleys? ANd how is food?)

• Old Fort Pub (but would we have time to get there, dine, and get back by 9pm?)

• Scott's Fish Market (what's this place like? And the food?)

• Parrot Cove Cafe (is this place too small for dinner?)

• Kingfishers

• Cafe Europa (worth paying the Sea Pines parking fee?)

• Somewhere else (please illuminate me! :) )

Results are only viewable after voting.

gopherit

I'm not in the book, you know.
I have been combing through people's suggestions about good places to dine at HHI. DH and I will be looking for a place to eat Monday while the kids are in Kids Night OUt... should we go for somewhere nearby, given that the wait after 6 pm for some places may be lengthy? What are some ofthe best places nearby that (a) have a nice view and (b) a nice menu? I should note that DH is culinarily challenged -- he can't handle too much froo-froo, IYKWIM! Too many sauces or "unique" seasonings would make him sweat, haha.

I had the poll places on my list of potentials, based on recommendations of others. Note that we will probably do the following during our stay as a family : San Miguel's (our kids love mexican fare!), Guiseppis, Salty Dog Cafe and Sea Shack.

Not sure about Old Oyster Factory and Hudsons -- I've seen some good reviews, and not so good reviews.

Any help appreciated! If you want to add a new one to my list, do so and please state why / your experiences, etc!

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at some of the menus, I am also wondering, hmmm.... mybe what DH and I would have MORE fun with is someplace laid-back (rather than upscale). WIll have to make another post / poll for that, I guess!

THANKS!

Of your choices, I would go with Alexander's. It's fairly close (which is why I didn't choose Old Fort Pub with your time constraints), great view (try to get there as early as possible to see if you can get seated on the porch.) Not sure about the Harley's -- either they haven't been there or we haven't noticed them when we have eaten there. The food has always been great and is not too frou-frou...

Scott's is also very good, but we prefer Alexander's. The fact that you can walk to Scott's IS a plus, though. Parrot Cove Cafe is not someplace I'd recommend, as it IS very small and to us, seems more like a place to go for lunch, rather than a nice dinner. We've eaten at Kingfisher twice and have not liked it either time -- food and service both left a lot to be desired. We will not be giving it a third try.

We've never tried Cafe Europa -- but with the parking situation at Harbourtown, you might run into time problems there, too.

As far as your family meals, I would definitely give Hudson's a try -- just be sure to get there early. The hushpuppies there are outstanding!

Another place to try would be Captain's Seafood -- it's just down the road from the resort. Not much in atmosphere (kind of Sea Shack-ish), but the food is great. I had a grouper sandwich there last month that I would swear they caught after I placed my order! ;)

Wherever you go, just remember to get there as early as possible. Take advantage of early bird specials when you can -- not just for the reduced price, but because the crowds will be much lighter -- and ask for a copy of the restaurant guide with the menus when you check in. (If they don't have one, you can get them at Publix or Piggly Wiggly.) Spend a little time looking at the menus and you might find something on your list that you want to try!!

I didn't vote in your poll because we have only eaten at one restaurant on your list, Kingfisher. Honestly, everything was pretty mediocre, from the service to the food, and I would not really recommend heading over there.

I chose Scott's. First, never ate at Alexander's or Europa, but have heard great things. I like walking over to Scott's during KNO, and yes, go right away as soon as you sign the kids in.

I agree with Old Oyster, I find it a bit mediocre. Pleasant people, clean, nice view (or as B'Lou says, of course its a nice view, its OUR view, just backwards) but I feel its too big, thus the kitchen is more of an assembly line, lots of #10 cans, rather than individualized attention.

I do want to try Sea Shack and Sunset Grill however.

Great post. We'll be there in Aug as well and need new ideas.

gopherit said:
I have been combing through people's suggestions about good places to dine at HHI. DH and I will be looking for a place to eat Monday while the kids are in Kids Night OUt... should we go for somewhere nearby, given that the wait after 6 pm for some places may be lengthy? What are some ofthe best places nearby that (a) have a nice view and (b) a nice menu? I should note that DH is culinarily challenged -- he can't handle too much froo-froo, IYKWIM! Too many sauces or "unique" seasonings would make him sweat, haha.

I had the poll places on my list of potentials, based on recommendations of others. Note that we will probably do the following during our stay as a family : San Miguel's (our kids love mexican fare!), Guiseppis, Salty Dog Cafe and Sea Shack.

Not sure about Old Oyster Factory and Hudsons -- I've seen some good reviews, and not so good reviews.

Any help appreciated! If you want to add a new one to my list, do so and please state why / your experiences, etc!

THANKS!

Michael Anthony's.
http://www.hiltonheaddlc.com/michaelanthony.htm

We've had dinner here several times, on different visits. The food is excellent. The ambience is wonderful and the people are knowledgeable and friendly.

It is also close to the resort - maybe a five minute drive, so you can easily do it during kids night out.

PS....I really didn't want to tell anyone about this gem, but my next visit is a year away!

We ate at Scott's and wasn't that impressed especially after reading the reviews online. We really enjoyed the Old Oyster Factory and it would be tops on our list when we return.

Keep 'em coming, gang! I don't have much time, LOL!

ANd check out my new post re: more laid back dining options, please!

THANKS! :earboy2:

We had dinner at Nick's Steak and Seafood last week. It was very good, and had generous portions. It did not have a lot of goopy stuff on the seafood- you must have my dh's twin brother! Ok, it isn't on the water, but a good meal could be followed by a stroll near the water. Check out restaurant.com

Well, there's no view, but my current favorite rest. at HH is Redfish. One advantage is you can call ahead and make a reservation there. The menu may be more than your husband can handle, but boy, does everything taste wonderful. Great wine selection too. Worthy of a night out without the kids.

Cafe Europa is pretty laid back in a nice setting too. If you want, pm me your full name and I can call you in a free gate pass. They may (although I'm not positive) take reservations there, which would be worth it. If you drop off the kids and hustle over to HT, you should still be okay on time.

Otherwise, I vote for Alexanders.

Thanks to the DIS, I'm eating lunch at the Sea Shack tomorrow!!!

ETA: According to the menu guide, Cafe Europa does take reservations. Their phone number: 843-671-3399.

What is Kids Night Out??? We're going in November for Jersey Week and I have 4 kids. I'd LOVE to have dinner with just DH. Could someone help with details???

Many Thanks!!!! :wave2:

If you want a quiet evening and more upscale, I'd put Charlie's then Santa Fe. The top on your list would be Old Ft Pub followed by Alexander's. Cafe at Wexford, Redfish, Cafe Europa, CQ (not my favorite but many like it) all come to mind. A hidden gem is Fitzgerald's, quite the value price compared to quality and offerings at my last visit. I don't know Parrot Cove but wouldn't view the rest on your list that I didn't mention, as anything special.

pklein09: KNO (or Kid's Night Out) for ages 5-12 (currently offered on MOn night). It consists of pizza and a movie (drop off at 6 pm, pick up at 9 pm.) $20 per head, though. Also have a teen's night out for ages 13-17 (same time, same deal -- just geared for teens versus tikes.)

HTH.

I'm not sure what you're used to, but I consider myself a pretty generous payer for babysitting services (I reckon I've been known to pay $10 per hr for our trio), so $60 for 2 hrs in a group setting (which involves a movie -- how hard is that, lol?) ... well, that's steep in my book! :earseek: Frankly, it might not seem so bad if you have 1 kid, but the costs get prohibitive for us multi-kid families. So here's a tip -- when you're in WDW next time, though, consider going to Shula's. They offer 2 hr complimentary child care at Camp Dolphin -- very similar set up (our kids arrived, did a craft, played games, then ate dinner at Tubbi's buffeteria in the Dolphin, then were given tokens to play games in the gameroom, then there was a movie. We REALLY enjoyed that and the meal was EXCELLENT.) I think Palio's will extend the same complimentary 2 hr deal, too. The kids really enjoyed it, and DH and I had an awesome meal.

We will probably do KNO at HHI just because oh, what the heck, we're on vacation! Besides -- it will help the kids get to know some others their age at the start of our vacation.

Thanks gopherit!!! I usually pay $10/hr for my 4 with a max of $40 for the night. My kids are currently 4 1/2, 6 1/2, 8, and 9. We might spring for $$$ because it's vacation. I'll definitely look into the Swan and Dolphin next time we're in WDW. That sounds like a great deal!

First off, thanks to Gopherit, for the tip about Shula's and Palio. We'll be sure to use it next trip.

We were in HH two weeks ago and had a wonderful grownups dinner at a place called 211 Park Bistro and Wine Bar. The food was exceptional. The ambience was very, very loud, due to very poor acoustics (high warehouse ceilings), but the wine list was outstanding, and the food was wonderful. It was probably about 3 miles from the Disney resort, and worth the cost of the night out! I recommend the lamb chops!

Come out of Shelter Cove and make a right. Take 1st right off the 1st traffic circle and a left into the first shopping center. It is on the end of the shopping center by the movie theater. It wasn't easy to spot, but it was worth the trip. I talked to some locals who raved about it as well.

FWIW, we hated the Salty Dog Cafe experience. Why do I have to pay a toll to drive to your restaurant, wait two hours for mediocre dinner and buy your t-shirt. Too much stress, not enough reward. Spend your money at the Fresh Goods Grocery store and eat in your room one night. Then spring for ice cream from the Cold Stone Creamery. That's what I'd do, if I had it to do over again. Enjoy!!

One more place to consider for a night out: The Jazz Corner, located in Wexford Village. Last week in my water aerobics class several of the women (all year-round locals) highly recommended it, both for food and atmosphere. They have live music every night. Even if you don't eat there, maybe you could run in for a drink and enjoy some music together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter