HHI first timer questions

Desnik

<font color=teal>I actually love packing and plann
I am thinking of going to HHI for DD's spring breake. It will be myself, DH, DS(2.5)and DD(7). I was wondering as first timers how long should we stay? I don't want to over due it. I was thinking 3 nights? Is there enough to do for a family with kids these ages? We would be driving from NY(DH dosn't fly) We are planning for April 18-21? Is it hard or even possible to get a studio 7 months out? How is the weather in April? Are there alot of family friendly restaurants in the area? Is there enough non seafood places? We don't eat fish.
TIA :sunny:

Hi.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm planning on going down there in May, and I also can't book until seven months in advance. From what I've heard, it's the peak summer time where booking can get really hairy, and the rest of the time isn't that bad, so I'm hoping that we'll both be OK with reservations. (You're further away from the summer than I am, so your chances are better than mine, I'm sure.)

I don't know what the maximum time that you can stay is, but I'm sure you won't have any problem filling up even a week. (I'm planning to stay for five nights, but I'd stay for one or two more nights if not for the hideously expensive point costs on the weekends there.) Keep in mind that day trips to both Charleston and Savannah are both very doable if you want to get out of the resort one day.

We were really worried on our first trip to HHI that there would not be enough to keep then 8 year old DS happy. We were wrong. There is plenty to do. As a matter of fact he has been asking to spend an entire week there.

As said before Savannah and Charleston are not far away for a day trip.

We've gone in July the past 5 years. The first year, our youngest was 17 months old and loved the pool as well as the beach. Our oldest was 5 and loved it then as well as he loves it now.

Each and every trip has been different and great at the same time.

That week is the week after Easter next year, and a lot of schools will be off. I just made my reservations today for HH (two bedroom villa) for the week before -- April 9 for 5 nights. I added a cash night on Friday to save on points. There are mostly two bedrooms at HH, I think it will be tough to get a studio. We tend to eat more at the villa at HH than at WDW, and with two children you might want to do the same. We eat all our breakfasts and most of the lunches in the room. HH is very relaxing, we also drive there from CT, with 3 kids, this is our fifth year coming up. There is plenty to do there, my kids love it. We usually go for 5 nights, and would like to stay more (doing 6 this year). There are plenty of kid friendly and non-seafood restaurants.

The weather should be awesome at the time you are planning to be there! Historcal weather on weather.com says mid 70's that time of year.

The pool area is quite sheltered, and we have been there when the days' high's were in the high 60's and felt nice and warm in the sun!

My only advice to you would be to stay as long as possible. Once you get there you won't want to leave. There will be so much that you don't get a chance to do no matter how long you are there!

We have done a week for the past two years and felt it was too short, so this fall we are going for 2 weeks!

Have fun--this is our family's favorite place to go!

(We don't eat fish/seafood either and have always found plenty of places to eat!)

If you're driving down, 3 nights might not seem like enough time to really relax and enjoy. We drove down last Easter from Philly and spent 6 nights. On the way down & back, we stayed overnight in Emporia, VA which made the drive somewhat easier but it is still really long.

For the trip, my kids were 8, 6 & 5 and they had alot to do! There are so many planned activities. The pool was heated and gave us hours of enjoyment - waterslide is just right for your 7yo. Also we got 3 fabulous beach days, so you never know with March. If your kids like to bike, the resort is perfect - plenty of paths and self-enclosed. You can rent bikes right at the resort. Also Capt Scott's dolphin tour was well worth the price! Again, perfect for a 7yo.

Have a good time! Stay as long as you can!!!

Desnik -

We'll be there April 17-22! Just booked 2 BR yesterday through Expedia (we're not DVC owners - but DISers...).

See you there -

Mary

We just returned from four nights there (all the time we had) and we certainly didn't want to leave. It is a great family resort and there are many great, family friendly places to eat on the island. If you can get a room there, you won't regret it - but you might regret that you didn't try to stay longer!

Your dates should be fine. The Heritage tournament is April 10-16, so you will miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter