Hi Guys, I just need to talk about our May trip....

Duck143

DIS Veteran
I figured you would all understand how I am feeling right now because you are going through the same thing and I don't really have anyone else that wants to hear me talk about my Disney trip. I know there are a TON of other more important things to focus on right now than our trip, but its hard for me because I am such a planner! We have been planning this trip for over a year with my parents as well. We are a family of 4 that decided last year that we would buy AP's and plan 2 trips May 2019 and May 2020. We saved up, bought enough gift cards from Target to buy our 4 AP's. We booked flights, waited for discounts on YC CL and got super excited to get a Past Guest discount to apply. ADR's booked 6 months ago, Park days strategically chosen, including HS on 5/4! FP+ booking day came and went with success! DS has saved as much as a 9 year old can and asked for birthday gifts and Christmas to be Disney g.c. so he can build his lightsaber. Our trip begins on 5/1. Our AP's expire on 5/10 (5/24 with the extension?). I don't know how to reschedule this trip. I don't mind moving it to a different later date, but it's not like I can move it much since our AP's expire. I hate this feeling of 'being up in the air' not being able to make this better.
Thank you all for listening to me and being there

Just wait... There's no value in making a decision right now. Things are changing very quickly.

A lot of what we are seeing are worst case scenarios. There is an entire spectrum of how this could play out. I usually take the optimist route.

A lot of projections are use the past as an indicator. For every negative outlook there is a positive. China is past the curve and things are recovering. I work for a huge international beauty company. The impact on China in January and first half of February was huge. Over a $1B impact on our company alone. The reports over the past month, though, are very promising.

Its hard to project America's curve onto China's. Too many independent variables.

But, we have the benefit of time on our side,
- A vaccine is currently in human testing - widespread distribution is a ways off, but just the effect of having an approved vaccine will change the attitude towards the virus

- A treatment (remdesivir) is currently in stage 3 of testing and being fast tracked. It was effecttive against MERS and SARS, so there are a lot of positive indications that it will be effective here. Again, widespread will take time, but just having a treatment will help turn it around.

- Australian doctors just successfully mapped the immune response, that opens up the path to a host of new treatment options. We're developing treatments to fight this in many different ways

- Flu infection rates are impacted by seasonal changes. Community spread is much slower in the southern hemisphere. The shift in new cases in Wuhan is perfectly correlated (I know correlation does not equal causation) to an increase in the temperature and (more importantly) humidity. Rates in Norther CA are higher than southern. NY and Washington are facing higher rates, while FL and TX are comparatively lower. As the northern hemisphere enters spring, we may see a natural reduction in community spread that could get the Ro of this virus below 1 which will help it burn out.

Just know, that for every bit of bad news, there is some good news that isn't being reported as widely. If any of the variables above prove out and are inserted into these prediction models, the outlook is much better.

Keep your plans, put them in a drawer and don't look at them. Focus on social distancing, slowing the spread, giving our doctors and scientists time to respond.

Changing things now doesn't help. We just all have to focus on changing the things we can and all combined it will turn the corner.

Good luck to us all, have fun and stay safe.

I had planned our trip for next week down to the minute. Bought all the gift cards etc. Then it got canceled and I moved it to May. Now it seems I may not get to go in May. So, I feel your pain but I know it will happen as it's meant to happen and whatever happens I will figure it out and somehow make it even better, somehow. :)

Just wait... There's no value in making a decision right now. Things are changing very quickly.

A lot of what we are seeing are worst case scenarios. There is an entire spectrum of how this could play out. I usually take the optimist route.

A lot of projections are use the past as an indicator. For every negative outlook there is a positive. China is past the curve and things are recovering. I work for a huge international beauty company. The impact on China in January and first half of February was huge. Over a $1B impact on our company alone. The reports over the past month, though, are very promising.

Its hard to project America's curve onto China's. Too many independent variables.

But, we have the benefit of time on our side,
- A vaccine is currently in human testing - widespread distribution is a ways off, but just the effect of having an approved vaccine will change the attitude towards the virus

- A treatment (remdesivir) is currently in stage 3 of testing and being fast tracked. It was effecttive against MERS and SARS, so there are a lot of positive indications that it will be effective here. Again, widespread will take time, but just having a treatment will help turn it around.

- Australian doctors just successfully mapped the immune response, that opens up the path to a host of new treatment options. We're developing treatments to fight this in many different ways

- Flu infection rates are impacted by seasonal changes. Community spread is much slower in the southern hemisphere. The shift in new cases in Wuhan is perfectly correlated (I know correlation does not equal causation) to an increase in the temperature and (more importantly) humidity. Rates in Norther CA are higher than southern. NY and Washington are facing higher rates, while FL and TX are comparatively lower. As the northern hemisphere enters spring, we may see a natural reduction in community spread that could get the Ro of this virus below 1 which will help it burn out.

Just know, that for every bit of bad news, there is some good news that isn't being reported as widely. If any of the variables above prove out and are inserted into these prediction models, the outlook is much better.

Keep your plans, put them in a drawer and don't look at them. Focus on social distancing, slowing the spread, giving our doctors and scientists time to respond.

Changing things now doesn't help. We just all have to focus on changing the things we can and all combined it will turn the corner.

Good luck to us all, have fun and stay safe.
Thank you for this wonderful response! I am such an naturally optimistic person and it has been difficult seeing such bad news all the time. I have been searching the internet and other social medias for some positive news. Reading your optimistic and well thought out response really gives me a tad bit of hope! My spreadsheet with our plans has been closed, but I won't change anything yet!

Your APs will be extended by the number of days Disney is actually closed...so no worries there! As far as getting another great YC CL deal, I don't know if that will happen or not. You can make new reservations for dining, making lightsabers and fast passes. I know you all were looking forward to the trip, but everything WILL be okay. My advice would be to sit down and think about what other months past June/ July will work for your family. Tentatively start making a new plan...... uncertain time for everyone, even with vacation planning. No matter what, whenever you all do make it to the world, you will have a great time!

I had planned our trip for next week down to the minute. Bought all the gift cards etc. Then it got canceled and I moved it to May. Now it seems I may not get to go in May. So, I feel your pain but I know it will happen as it's meant to happen and whatever happens I will figure it out and somehow make it even better, somehow. :)
Do you still have your plans set for May? I can't bring myself to change mine. I don't even know when we would reschedule. There are so many factors with everyone's schedules.

Your APs will be extended by the number of days Disney is actually closed...so no worries there! As far as getting another great YC CL deal, I don't know if that will happen or not. You can make new reservations for dining, making lightsabers and fast passes. I know you all were looking forward to the trip, but everything WILL be okay. My advice would be to sit down and think about what other months past June/ July will work for your family. Tentatively start making a new plan...... uncertain time for everyone, even with vacation planning. No matter what, whenever you all do make it to the world, you will have a great time!
Thank you for these kind words and we will all get to the world and have great trips sooner or later!

I also have plans for end of may, also with AP ending with our planned trip. I so feel with you,I know the World has more problems and I concentrate on other things mostly, but in some moments I think of Disney and :sad: But I will not change anything at the moment and if the situation gets better and I will be able to come (travel restrictions for EU )we will go. Just hope for the best, for everyone and everything. Stay save and strong

Our trip is also scheduled to start on May 1 and I am right there with you. I'm with PPs on staying optimistic, there is still enough time for this to turn around. I went ahead and put another reservation down in late June so we could at least have something booked (before it all fills up) in case our May trip is cancelled. Our plans probably won't be as 'perfect' as they would have been for May but I'm telling myself (assuming we can go by that time), at least we're at Disney.

But if it doesn't work out and we still can't go, I've chosen to think of it like this- I am giving up my much-anticipated trip so that thousands more have a better chance of surviving and going on more trips of their own. It doesn't mean I won't be sad or disappointed, but it has helped me put things in perspective.

Do you still have your plans set for May? I can't bring myself to change mine. I don't even know when we would reschedule. There are so many factors with everyone's schedules.
I do. It's too painful to cancel again. They will have to force me with my dieing breathe!

Our trip is also scheduled to start on May 1 and I am right there with you. I'm with PPs on staying optimistic, there is still enough time for this to turn around. I went ahead and put another reservation down in late June so we could at least have something booked (before it all fills up) in case our May trip is cancelled. Our plans probably won't be as 'perfect' as they would have been for May but I'm telling myself (assuming we can go by that time), at least we're at Disney.

But if it doesn't work out and we still can't go, I've chosen to think of it like this- I am giving up my much-anticipated trip so that thousands more have a better chance of surviving and going on more trips of their own. It doesn't mean I won't be sad or disappointed, but it has helped me put things in perspective.
Well said.

It's just nice knowing that we can come together here and understand each other. It makes me feel better having an 'outlet' to release the emotions that come along with planning and if needed, cancelling our trip. It was bothering me so much not getting to talk about it in the midst of all these crazy things going on and everywhere I looked, I found someone being negative to someone else. You guys have such a positive outlook and it's refreshing and comforting. I hope you stay safe, healthy and continue to look forward to your trips, whenever they may happen!

I don't want to cancel May 1st trip yet, but starting to look at other weeks. I like 5/29 through the first week of June. I can book another resort stay for that week and start on ADR's, but what do you do about booking Fastpasses for tickets that are already 'linked' to the May 1st trip without cancelling everything? Is there any way to book those in addition...probably not, right?

We have a trip planned May 5-13th and have yet to cancel, but we feel it is coming soon. This was going to be our "perfect" trip, 21st/54th birthday for my mother and I (May 6th), and just after my college graduation before I move and start a job in the "real world." I wish we just knew how long DW will be closed. At this point I am thinking until June, but that is just a guess. We are planning on rescheduling for May 2021, if/when we have to cancel. :(

Ah well, on to better days soon. Stay well!

I am with you OP!

I'm not cancelling yet. I will try to stay positive in the world of uncertainty right now.
My trip ( as I'm sure so many others are too) was pre-planned down to the "week". I started the planning about a year ago, I made the reservations 7 months ago, I bought our airfare 5.5 months ago.
I do know for me personally, I don't want to return to WDW until all the "magic" is back!!

We are scheduled to leave April 30 and I haven’t canceled yet. I do wish Disney would make a decision so we could reschedule if we have to.

We are scheduled to leave April 30 and I haven’t canceled yet. I do wish Disney would make a decision so we could reschedule if we have to.
I'm scheduling ADR's for a different (later) week, but nothing else right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!