HIFS and the whole on/off site thing

jsmla

DIS Veteran
We're recently back from a Thanksgiving trip and a stay at the HIFS. Let me begin by saying we NEVER stay off-site. I cancelled our YC ressies (we're a party of 5) over the whole early opening thing and booked the HIFS through Expedia instead at 1/2 the rate! I spent the rest of my time until we left reading post after post exclaiming that it just wouldn't be the same, that we just couldn't have as "magical" an experience off-site. Maybe I'm just wired differently but it just wasn't so. The HIFS was VERY conveniently located, the drive to some parks seemed closer than from some of the on-site resorts. It was very clean. The pool was nice and warmer than any Disney pool and we've stayed at almost all of 'em. Maid service was prompt and efficient. I didn't want to fork over the extra $$$ for a pool view but our "suite" overlooked a small lake with swans swimming in it and a light display at night, very nice. In addition we had: a separate room for my mom and me (you have no idea how great this is until you try it!), a private area for the girls, 3 televisions, a kitchenette and a full breakfast every morning. Just getting everyone fed, especially 16 year old DS, in the morning saved us at least $30/ day. Since we had the fridge and microwave we also ate in the room most lunches and several dinners, saving no-telling how much. All this for under $100/night. The only two drawbacks were the inconvenient and incredibly complex seeming shuttle (we never used it) and our room "decor". Since I'm a tightwad and didn't want a parking lot view we ended up in a choo-choo room. This was a little wierd for a party of adults and teens but for over $100/night in savings we were able to adjust. DS suffered the most since the lack of transportation kept him out of DisneyQuest at night. I feel these were minor problems for the $$$. I figure we saved over $700 on the room for a 7 night stay (and I had a pretty good ap rate at the YC, $209 w/tax). I also came home with $500 in "food money" that we didn't spend eating fast food in the parks or at the hotel restaurant. That's $1200, enough for another trip! When we go this summer with DH we'll bring our travel trailer and stay on-site at Fort Wilderness, but otherwise I'm seriously reconsidering my previous on-site addiction!

I agree with everything in your post! My family and I stayed here over thanksgiving and we were not disappointed either! We found the hotel very close to Epcot and MGM (we were driving our own car so we did not use the hotel shuttle) I agree with the breakfast buffet being a good money saver. Sometimes the kids only had the cold cereal and a bagel, other days they have pancakes but I was happy there was a variety of breakfast foods. we did have a pool view but only because at check in the priority club guy said the 20.00 extra for pool view is waived when you are a priority club member. We were in building 10 on the second floor. My kids are 9, 7, 5 and 3 so the zero entry in the pool was very nice. Our room decor was the coca cola bears! Everyone was very nice at the hotel--the first day I 'broke' the room safe, my son clogged the toilet, The fold out bed in the kids area was stuck and I needed extra pillows--each time I called, someone came to our room very promptly!
We normally only stay onsite too (Comtemporary, Dolphin) but my kids have picked this as their new favorite hotel. We are thinking of staying here again for Easter break. I still felt like I was on Disney property since we were close to everything and my husband agrees--he does like the cheaper rate of this hotel!:)

We have gone to Orlando twice this year and both times we split between on and off site.

There are some really great things about staying offsite. I think it can be really ideal for a large family and families with extra adults such as grandparents.

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn LBV and had 2 large bedrooms 2 bathsrooms, full kitchen,, table/chairs, and living room. It was nice to spread out and not feel cramped. This is a new hotel, so beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was also included, that that was a big savings with two teens along.

On the other hand, we really enjoyed stayhing at the CBR and AKL. Both resorts are great. It was nice to have both experiences of off/on site.

Glad you guys had good experiences at the HIFS. It IS really close to Epcot/MGM.

Herc

HIFS is Holiday Inn Family Suites in Lake Buena Vista Located on S R 536. They have Kidsuites with a
Master bedroom w/a door and a tv and a closet, a dressing table,a hairdryer,and phone!!
a themed room w/bunkbeds+a trundle bed,and a tv with nintendo 64,a Cd player,a bedtime story phone.,and a table and chairs.
A big Bathroom w/3 storage shelves,a hairdryer,shower/tub,and commode and sink.
The livingroom has a queen sized sofa bed,a tv,programable safe,nested table[good to use for eating on],phone.
The dining area has a microwave,refridgerator,sink,and cupboards,a table and chairs.

I asked for a Disney Themed room and it was so whimsicle painted,We loved it!! It helped bring that Magic to our stay.

I was so shocked when we moved to All Stars Music,there is little or no themeing in these rooms. The bed spreads are just your typical hotel bed spreads,no disney themeing there,the carpets are just plain carpets,the funiture was plain,in fact the only thing in the room that had anything to do with themeing was the Star shaped wall lights that we left off because they "glared" so much. The All Star room was just like all the Motel 6's I have ever stayed in. And our Dd complained the whole time Because there wasn't a seperate space for her to listen to music or watch the tv shows that interested her [dad hogged the tv]and Dd didn't sleep well due to the Snore Facter in the room.

Our chose next time will be HIFS!!!All the way!!

It sounds great. Thank you. We always have stayed inside the World until recently,but have been dismayed by the All Star resorts and haven't been impressed with the Downtown Courtyard. Maybe we will try HIFS. :)

Plus you can save even more from their free breakfast buffet. I've heard others complain about it, but there are always either french toast or pancakes, eggs, hash browns/potatoes, a cereal station, a beverage station including juices, milk, coffee, tea, oatmeal, grits, fruits. And you can take it back up to your room. If you have a large family, you can fill up before heading out and save a lot of money. Yes, I've had better food, but after staying in a suite where I saw on the TV, I would have my pick of ONE pastry and it had to be eaten there, (you couldn't bring anything back to your room) This was heaven!
No, it's not as magical as Disney, but it's very comfortable and serves our needs as a family right now beautifully. After a long day in the parks, it means a lot to me to be able spend some time with DH with a closed door between us and DD. And I really enjoy the fridge, and all the extra space, and DD gets a kick out of her special room complete with TV/VCR/NINTENDO!

Stayed at Tropical Palms Fun Resort in September.. A whole 2 bedroom cottage - with an additional sleeping loft and pull-out sofa - and a huge deck with patio chairs and picnic table for $79 a night.. Two pools, kiddie playground, extremely inexpensive poolside cafe, on-site store, within walking distance of Old Town, convenient to everything on 192, 5 minute drive to the parks, AND we felt like we were WAY out in the country - no noise whatsoever..

Would go back in a heartbeat.. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter