High Tea Protocol

Stewblue

Mouseketeer
Just for fun, I did some research on the "proper" way to behave while enjoying High Tea. Of course the 1st thing I learned is that it really should be called Afternoon Tea! The second thing I learned is that I am not one who thinks in terms of "six o'clock position" and how to softly fold tea. Oh dear... guess I'll just have to enjoy myself in spite of the "rules".;)

Proper Pinkie Position : Place one’s thumb at the six o’ clock position and ones index and middle fingers at the twelve o’clock position, while gently raising one’s pinkie up for balance.

Eating scones : The correct manner in which one eats a scone is the same manner in which one eats a dinner roll. Simply break off a bite size only piece,place it on your plate and then apply, with your bread and butter knife, the jam and cream. Please , no dipping!

Stirring Tea and Spoon Placement: Do not stir your tea,with your tea spoon, in sweeping circular motions. Place your tea spoon at the six o’clock position and softly fold the liquid towards the twelve o’clock position two or three times. Never leave your tea spoon in your tea cup.When not in use, place your tea spoon on the right side of the tea saucer. Never wave or hold your tea cup in the air. When not in use, place the tea cup back in the tea saucer.If you are at a buffet tea hold the tea saucer in your lap with your left hand and hold the tea cup in your right hand. When not in use, place the tea cup back in the tea saucer and hold in your lap.

:rolleyes:

Let's all have a practice session at the Grand Floridian! Yum! :) And they do call it afternoon tea there.

Stewblue- This was very interesting. Although, I feel I am going to be the one doing it improperly! :p

I told my husband about the fingers at 6:00 and 12:00 with extended pinkie and he wondered if I was practicing a new gang sign. You should have seen the look of relief on his face when I said I was planning on participating in a ladies only event.

They said nothing about your cooling method? I kinda like the idea. I'll try really really really hard not to embarrass you. At least you can truthfully say you don't know me!!!

What's this about Afternoon tea being a ladies only event??

Oh dear... I didn't mean to confuse. Several of the June 2th Ladies who Cruise are getting together for a Ladies Only table during High Tea. That is what I was referring to.

Whew!

As a "Man's Man" raised in the British Isles (Afternoon tea at Harrods still one of my favorites), I import my (drinking) tea and search for my "afternoon tea".

The Tea at the Grand Floridian is terrific. I am looking forward to the Magic's.

When I was young, "Tea" was the evening meal. It was lighter than the midday meal (Can't remember if we called that Supper or dinner), which was the largest of the day.

Afternoon Tea was the fancy thing with cucumber sandwiches with the crust cut off, and fancy pastries.

And then there was "tea", the everpresent drink. Always we had "black" teas, not the orange pekoe or the mint varieties. Most people had tea with milk (poured in first!) and lots of sugar. Maybe this helps explain the bad teeth in the British Isles.

More than you probably ever wanted to know.....

jgalecpa- we need you to join us on June 28 to instruct us on the proper way to do afternoon tea. We will make an exception for your "man's man" status if you are one of the few who can teach us something!!! LOL

that kind of cancels out the "man's man" thing, but might be interesting. Is cross dressing allowed at Palo? Even in resort casual?

You girls are CRAZY! Won't it be fun to meet each other! It will be wild to see what you look like and how you are in reality instead of in my mind!
We are going to have a BALL- white gloves, pinky fingers in the air and all:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter