Hilton Head Next Summer

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
We are trying to figure out when to book our family vacation to HHI. It's getting harder as our DSs are getting older. It looks like we might be safe booking the first week of July. I'm wondering how crowded it is that week. I realize summer is always crowded, but does the 4th of July bring more people in? Has anyone been there that week to give me some insight of what it's like?

On a side note, if we have to cancel for the summer due to our family's crazy schedules, I realize it will probably be impossible to book something for another week in the summer due to the high demand. The only other time we would be able to go is Thanksgiving break. We should know by February what everyone's schedules will be. Does that give us enough time to book a 2 BR for Thanksgiving or do those fill up at 11 months out?

Simba's Mom goes every Thanksgiving, so, she should be a lot tell you about how crowded it is. Send her a conversation if she doesn't see this.

We have been there for 4th of July 2012. We thoroughly enjoyed the week. There was a special "for pay" barbecue party on the 4th, the party was for everyone, just pay for food. We saw the fireworks from a place along the creek.

This year, I will be with my sister the week after the 4th.

Saw it! November is still 9 months from February, so my guess is that you should be OK. Remember that owners can book at 11 months and non-owners at 7 months. So you're still beating the non-owners. Thanksgiving DOES tend to be very busy, but it doesn't feel busy. We only knew it was busy because it was very hard to find a parking place. Also, we bought Hilton Head points specifically so that we could book there at 11 months-you really do need the 11 month window, or at least greater than 7 months, as you'll have.

Can you do cash ressie (Members) anytime as well?

Members can pay cash at the MC rate of 25% off the rack rate. Most Thanksgivings, we use points during the week, but use MC on the weekend.

We go every year for 4th of July week...Yes, it's very busy and the resort is usually full. This makes getting a table in the shade pretty impossible--so go knowing that. However, there is always lots going on and the fireworks are especially fun! We tend to go to restaurants earlier than typical....or just order from Giuseppe's. Everything is definitely in full swing and they aren't likely to cancel events....Shelter Cove is humming too!

We are trying to figure out when to book our family vacation to HHI. It's getting harder as our DSs are getting older. It looks like we might be safe booking the first week of July. I'm wondering how crowded it is that week. I realize summer is always crowded, but does the 4th of July bring more people in? Has anyone been there that week to give me some insight of what it's like?

On a side note, if we have to cancel for the summer due to our family's crazy schedules, I realize it will probably be impossible to book something for another week in the summer due to the high demand. The only other time we would be able to go is Thanksgiving break. We should know by February what everyone's schedules will be. Does that give us enough time to book a 2 BR for Thanksgiving or do those fill up at 11 months out?
We've been there most years either the week of the 4th or the week before. These and the 2 weeks after are the busiest on the island and it'll be crowded and hot. Just book what you think will work and try to adjust later if needed.

Ok so we have it narrowed down to July 1-6 or July 8-13. Would anyone think there would be a big difference crowd-wise between those two weeks? We've been the third week of July before and handled the crowds fine. Just didn't know if the holiday would make it busier than the week after.

Ok so we have it narrowed down to July 1-6 or July 8-13. Would anyone think there would be a big difference crowd-wise between those two weeks? We've been the third week of July before and handled the crowds fine. Just didn't know if the holiday would make it busier than the week after.
I'm sure there will be a difference. We've been many times week 25 & week 26 (4th July) and just got back last night from 9 nights on HHI staying at Marriott's Grande Ocean with 51 people. Most of our trips have been week 25 (week before 4th) and it was noticeably busier this past week than past trips. but it's still VERY busy and crowded that week as well. However, I don't think there's enough difference to drive the show. The biggest issue for your situation is arrival on Sat. That's the busiest check in day and for 1 or 8, I doubt the will matter much. It can easily be 2 hours or more off the Interstate to get to the resort on Sat afternoon or early evening if there are no accidents. If you're arriving on either of these Saturdays, I'd make sure I was on the island and had any grocery shopping done by noon. Sam's is now off the island so I'd stop on the way in if that's in the plans because the only thing that's busier than the roads are the grocery stores. I'd also make any dining reservations before arrival if needed.

I'm sure there will be a difference. We've been many times week 25 & week 26 (4th July) and just got back last night from 9 nights on HHI staying at Marriott's Grande Ocean with 51 people. Most of our trips have been week 25 (week before 4th) and it was noticeably busier this past week than past trips. but it's still VERY busy and crowded that week as well. However, I don't think there's enough difference to drive the show. The biggest issue for your situation is arrival on Sat. That's the busiest check in day and for 1 or 8, I doubt the will matter much. It can easily be 2 hours or more off the Interstate to get to the resort on Sat afternoon or early evening if there are no accidents. If you're arriving on either of these Saturdays, I'd make sure I was on the island and had any grocery shopping done by noon. Sam's is now off the island so I'd stop on the way in if that's in the plans because the only thing that's busier than the roads are the grocery stores. I'd also make any dining reservations before arrival if needed.
Thank you for the information. I will be arriving on a Sunday though, not a Saturday.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. I will be arriving on a Sunday though, not a Saturday.
Fridays and Sundays are not as buy but still very busy. I'd take the same approach as I mentioned earlier.

Anybody else have any insight into which week would be better? I need to finalize plans as I need to book in the next few weeks.

My money would be on July 1-6 as being the busiest, but I've never been then. Just placing my bets.:rolleyes:

We are here now. The resort is full. The weather is hot, muggy. It's too warm for us, senior citizens, to ride bikes, but lots of people are! Tonight's Shelter Cove fireworks were very nice, we watched from the balcony in front of Tide Me Over. We ate at Scott's Fish market around 5:30 with no wait. Lines at Kroger on Sunday did not seem bad. I think this is a good week to be here!

We are here now. The resort is full. The weather is hot, muggy. It's too warm for us, senior citizens, to ride bikes, but lots of people are! Tonight's Shelter Cove fireworks were very nice, we watched from the balcony in front of Tide Me Over. We ate at Scott's Fish market around 5:30 with no wait. Lines at Kroger on Sunday did not seem bad. I think this is a good week to be here!
Thanks for taking time out of your vacation to respond. It's hot and muggy here in KY, too. The thing I love about HHI is that there are lots of shade trees! With that said, I do prefer October there due to the summer heat. But with two kids in different colleges with different schedules summers are the only time we can all go together. It's good to know that the crowds aren't too bad there right now. Thanks again!

Is Saturday morning terrible for leaving the island? That's what this implies to me. We are making plans for May, 2018.

Is Saturday morning terrible for leaving the island? That's what this implies to me. We are making plans for May, 2018.
Not generally because those leaving tend to be more spread out than those arriving but it partly depends on accidents and weather. Most timeshares check out at 10 so with DVC being 11 I suspect that'll help a little as well. Do you know how to get off on the bypass? If not, that's important to know IMO. The bypass feeds in right at the causeway and can be accessed at the same point leaving the island. It goes immediately behind the outlets and a good point to access it is to turn down beside the new Sam's/Walmart and then a left at the roundabout. There are 2 other access points further west that aren't unreasonable and would likely be a good choice if it was especially busy. In reality one can get to it off the Okatie Highway as well and though clearly further and more convoluted, would be worth it if traffic were truly backed up. I'd suggest you look at a map to get the feel for what I'm saying.

Not generally because those leaving tend to be more spread out than those arriving but it partly depends on accidents and weather. Most timeshares check out at 10 so with DVC being 11 I suspect that'll help a little as well. Do you know how to get off on the bypass? If not, that's important to know IMO. The bypass feeds in right at the causeway and can be accessed at the same point leaving the island. It goes immediately behind the outlets and a good point to access it is to turn down beside the new Sam's/Walmart and then a left at the roundabout. There are 2 other access points further west that aren't unreasonable and would likely be a good choice if it was especially busy. In reality one can get to it off the Okatie Highway as well and though clearly further and more convoluted, would be worth it if traffic were truly backed up. I'd suggest you look at a map to get the feel for what I'm saying.
Thank you..Tom says he has an idea about what you are saying!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter