Hilton Head... why not....price???

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
We already have a pre 4/16 resale contract with Disney and are now looking to add additional points (50-75). I fell in love with DHHI and am very tempted to purchase points there so I have the 11 month advantage for summer. I know the dues are high. Anything else I should consider before taking the plunge?

Last edited:
If you want to book at WDW, you will never get 11 month booking priority. And your dues are going to be heavily influenced by hazard insurance. This is partly why they are already so high.

If you are buying to book primarily at HHI, buying HHI makes sense.

That said, it can also depend on what you want out of HHI. There are other HHI timeshares that are much cheaper.

We own at HHI, and use the points there. It's a wonderful resort, and the CMs are the best. We're headed there next May, had a great time this July.

Thank you both- We love the resort and cast members there! we are looking to primarily use the points every other year at Hilton specifically and our other points (AKV) at WDW the opposite years.

Brings me to my next question- I found a contract this morning that we may put a bid on, however there isn't much info on the ROFR thread regarding historical price per point.

Contract is for 50 points, October use year. Stripped! 0 pts this year, 15 next year. We are ok with not going this year or next as we have several vacations planned- but absolutely would take that into account with our bid. The ask is way higher than we are willing to pay (asking $85). What would be reasonable?

Thank you both- We love the resort and cast members there! we are looking to primarily use the points every other year at Hilton specifically and our other points (AKV) at WDW the opposite years.

Brings me to my next question- I found a contract this morning that we may put a bid on, however there isn't much info on the ROFR thread regarding historical price per point.

Contract is for 50 points, October use year. Stripped! 0 pts this year, 15 next year. We are ok with not going this year or next as we have several vacations planned- but absolutely would take that into account with our bid. The ask is way higher than we are willing to pay (asking $85). What would be reasonable?

I would NOT recommend this contract as it is stripped and very expensive.

In the past, HHI has always had a low resale value and loaded contracts used to sell in the $50 range.

I would advise buying a larger contract such as 100-150 points that are either loaded with 2016 banked points or at least have all 2017 and 2018 points at the minimum. I would guess that would be worth around $60-65pp. You can always rent the excess points immediately after closing.

$85pp for a stripped HHI is a great deal only for the seller.

I would NOT recommend this contract as it is stripped and very expensive.

In the past, HHI has always had a low resale value and loaded contracts used to sell in the $50 range.

I would advise buying a larger contract such as 100-150 points that are either loaded with 2016 banked points or at least have all 2017 and 2018 points at the minimum. I would guess that would be worth around $60-65pp. You can always rent the excess points immediately after closing.

$85pp for a stripped HHI is a great deal only for the seller.

This makes a TON of sense- thank you. I need to not get ahead of myself and wait patiently for the right contract to come up.

The two DVC resorts that have the lowest resale price per point are VB and HHI and VB has the highest annual dues.

There is NO reason to overpay for these two resorts.

Also, small contracts in the 25-50 point range command a price premium over larger contracts and you should consider how far or how not so far these small contracts can get you.

I think the sweet spot is in the 100-150 point range as that gives you much better options in terms of price and use and even the ability to rent excessive points.

Also remember that VB and HHI have only 25 years left in the contracts, but if you are buying to use at those two locations, then 25 years is still a long time.

Having just entered into an agreement to purchase a contract at HHI - I can give you some insight on prices.

I've been in the market for a larger contract for the last few months. Over that time seller expectations have increased substantially. I have had several instances of owners originally asking $80+ a point and refusing to counter below $77/pt. New to market contracts are consistently being posted north of $80/pt regardless of size/condition.

With that said - be patient. I ended up coming to an agreement on a 210 point contract at $60/pt that is about to go to ROFR. One can get a reasonably priced contract - but it can take time.

To quote my broker "Given the market, all sellers have very high expectations for their contracts".

We actually purchased at HHI with the intent of using at both WDW and HHI (along with the other resorts). We understand that at the 7 month window we may loose some flexibility - but we are relatively indifferent when/where we stay and would be using 1 BR rooms to accommodate our needs. With that in mind I'm not too sure how disappointed we would be....

At $60/pt (assuming it passes ROFR) the cost savings relative to the other resorts and their current prices were too significant to ignore. I know there is a difference in MF - but even at $2/pt per year difference we are looking at some significant time before any savings comes into play when compared to resorts in the $120-$140/pt range. So given our ability to change vacation dates, 1 BR need and indifference on where we stay, HHI made sense to us.

We actually purchased at HHI with the intent of using at both WDW and HHI (along with the other resorts). We understand that at the 7 month window we may loose some flexibility - but we are relatively indifferent when/where we stay and would be using 1 BR rooms to accommodate our needs. With that in mind I'm not too sure how disappointed we would be.....

You will be very happy booking 1 bedrooms at 7 months and for sure will 99% be able to book SSR or AKV

We bought 100 points at AKV (resale) in 2009 and added on 50 points at HHI (direct) in 2011. Now, we have found that we would much rather vacation at HHI every year, instead of WDW for 2 and then HHI every third year. Ideally, I'd love to sell our 100 AKV points and buy another 100 at HHI, but I'd also want to have at least 75 to use at WDW for my fall F&W trips. Looking at the prices, we may wait and see what happens to AKV resales. I know that we could buy HHI direct* for $115/pt, but I don't think we could get much more than $100/pt right now for our AKV contract.

*I'd prefer direct over resale because I don't want to sell off my AKV points and then have to wait around for the perfect HHI contract to come available. If we went direct, I could buy the points first (finance them) and then pay it off when the AKV contract sells.

We bought 100 points at AKV (resale) in 2009 and added on 50 points at HHI (direct) in 2011. Now, we have found that we would much rather vacation at HHI every year, instead of WDW for 2 and then HHI every third year. Ideally, I'd love to sell our 100 AKV points and buy another 100 at HHI, but I'd also want to have at least 75 to use at WDW for my fall F&W trips. Looking at the prices, we may wait and see what happens to AKV resales. I know that we could buy HHI direct* for $115/pt, but I don't think we could get much more than $100/pt right now for our AKV contract.

*I'd prefer direct over resale because I don't want to sell off my AKV points and then have to wait around for the perfect HHI contract to come available. If we went direct, I could buy the points first (finance them) and then pay it off when the AKV contract sells.

I'm a little confused by your post - not the wanting more HHI points but where you say you want to sell your AKV points for more HHI points but you want to have at least 75 points for F&W fall trips. So, wouldn't you just keep the AKV points and add on HHI points?

We already have a pre 4/16 resale contract with Disney and are now looking to add additional points (50-75). I fell in love with DHHI and am very tempted to purchase points there so I have the 11 month advantage for summer. I know the dues are high. Anything else I should consider before taking the plunge?
If you'll use them during the summer at HHI and the DVC resort there is where you want to be, I see no reason not to buy the points there if you can afford them.

So you'd pay double for the HHI contract for this convenience? Would a non DVC timeshare not be a better choice for a yearly trip to HHI? It sounds like keeping the AKV points and adding to HHI resale might be the best choice for the stated goals. If you have to rent out your points for a couple of years at AKV, that might help with the transition.

I'm a little confused by your post - not the wanting more HHI points but where you say you want to sell your AKV points for more HHI points but you want to have at least 75 points for F&W fall trips. So, wouldn't you just keep the AKV points and add on HHI points?
I guess I was confusing:rotfl:...

DH is "done" with WDW, but he REALLY enjoyed our trip to HHI this year. Since the vacations to HHI are about 1/3 the cost of a WDW trip, we could easily afford to go every spring break, but with only 50 points (x 3), we'd be relying on the 7-month window, which makes a 1BR nearly impossible. The only way we could afford more HHI points would be to sell the AKV points. I am selfish and I like to go in October for my birthday and for F&W. In the past, I have stayed at a value resort and did not use the "family" points. Now that DH says he doesn't want to go back to WDW for "quite a while", I am free to use the AKV points for fall vacations. If I sold them and "traded" them for HHI points, I would have to go back to staying at (gasp!) value resorts for any fall trips I want to take. I guess, hypothetically, I could buy "extra" HHI points. Instead of 100, I could look for 150-175 resale and hope that I could find a studio in October at the 7-month window at WDW. Unfortunately, that is not something that I would be comfortable doing because of how tight studio availability is in October. I'm perfectly content with OKW or AKV and I'm willing to try SSR so that would be a slight variable working to my advantage, but it would be nerve-wracking:scared:.

It's all relatively moot...we aren't in a financial situation right now to upgrade our membership...but I can dream:cloud9:.

The only way we could afford more HHI points would be to sell the AKV points.
It's all relatively moot...we aren't in a financial situation right now to upgrade our membership...but I can dream:cloud9:.

Here is another idea, you can rent (transfer) HHI points from a HHI owner into your existing account for around $14-$15pp and then you can rent out any extra AKV points to someone else.

This will save you the upfront costs of buying a new contract.

Here is another idea, you can rent (transfer) HHI points from a HHI owner into your existing account for around $14-$15pp and then you can rent out any extra AKV points to someone else.

This will save you the upfront costs of buying a new contract.

It's certainly a possibility, but I guess I figured that a lot of HHI owners use their points at HHI and may not be inclined to rent them out. I don't see too many folks here on the rent/trade board offering HHI points. It would make it a crap shoot to find a transfer of HHI points on a regular basis.

It's certainly a possibility, but I guess I figured that a lot of HHI owners use their points at HHI and may not be inclined to rent them out. I don't see too many folks here on the rent/trade board offering HHI points. It would make it a crap shoot to find a transfer of HHI points on a regular basis.
I think you are right.

It's a small resort with not a lot of points. The seasonal nature means that most members aren't using points there or are using them for times they could easily get by other means such as an RCI exchange. If you really like HH to do consistently for summer or shoulder season, I'd definitely look at non DVC timeshares and compare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter